The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What happend to MLAN Audio Interfaces
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I haven't kept current on mLan since I sold off my i88x years ago, but I'd be surprised if anyone (including Yamaha) is continuing to support it. I could be wrong, though...
I also sold my 01X about 18 months ago. Happy Apogee Ensemble user now. I don't think I will buy anything from Yamaha anymore though :-(
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think I will buy anything from Yamaha anymore though
Tascam, Yamaha, Sony, Steinberg, and a few others have proven that they will leave you hanging in a flash. Tascam is probably the worst.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker View Post
I need to do a clean reboot in order for it to be able to reconnect to the i88x if the i88x has been shut down in the interim. In practice, the computer stays on almost all the time, but I shut down the i88x (and the rack of components connected with it) routinely when not recording. If I turn the i88x back on, Autoconnector and Connection Manager can't see it or connect to it, necessitating a reboot. That sounds trivial, but in my workflow it's actually quite a pain.
ZenPicker:

You don't need to reboot to get the i88x back online.

If you have more than one mLAN item in your setup you use the Graphic Patchbay to access the connections (as I'm sure you know).

That setup, with all the heirachy, midi, audio, and wordclock links, can be stored as a file. You can have many setups and retreive them instantly by going into the Graphic Patchbay, pulling up the setup file and loading it.

The mLAN system operates at the kernel level and the setup is crucial to the operation of the entire computer system. When you shut off the i88x, you disrupt the setup so the root and wordclock master gets reassigned to other units based on what the computer sees as the optimum system. When you switch the i88x back on, the system has no idea how to add it to the system and set up all the audio, midi and wordclock assignments.

When you reboot, what you're doing is launching the saved mLAN setup file the hard way by letting the mLAN drivers pull in the default file. You don't have to do that.

Just turn the i88x back on, open up the Graphic Patchbay, and load the .ymp file you saved with the setup you want to use, and wait a minute for the computer to get everything back in order.

I have several patch setups I bring in in the Graphic Patchbay and change them all the time. Changing setups on the fly is how mLAN was meant to be used.
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

Wow! Who knew?
You did, obviously, scottrod.

Thanks so much for this. I only have the one mLAN device in the mix, but perhaps reloading a saved param file will do the trick. I will give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks and all the best,
Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
ZenPicker:

You don't need to reboot to get the i88x back online.

If you have more than one mLAN item in your setup you use the Graphic Patchbay to access the connections (as I'm sure you know).

That setup, with all the heirachy, midi, audio, and wordclock links, can be stored as a file. You can have many setups and retreive them instantly by going into the Graphic Patchbay, pulling up the setup file and loading it.

The mLAN system operates at the kernel level and the setup is crucial to the operation of the entire computer system. When you shut off the i88x, you disrupt the setup so the root and wordclock master gets reassigned to other units based on what the computer sees as the optimum system. When you switch the i88x back on, the system has no idea how to add it to the system and set up all the audio, midi and wordclock assignments.

When you reboot, what you're doing is launching the saved mLAN setup file the hard way by letting the mLAN drivers pull in the default file. You don't have to do that.

Just turn the i88x back on, open up the Graphic Patchbay, and load the .ymp file you saved with the setup you want to use, and wait a minute for the computer to get everything back in order.

I have several patch setups I bring in in the Graphic Patchbay and change them all the time. Changing setups on the fly is how mLAN was meant to be used.
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

mLan16e2 now known as FW16E same board

I love my Motif XS7 and will part with it when I wear it
out. It is utterly, extremely, expressive.

Now to the Nitty Gritty.

I just got my mLan16e2 via craigslist (Jan192012) as I was not going to pay $250 for a $40 circuit board.
I looked at the 'NEW' FW16E for the Motif XF and it looks identical to the mLan16e2 card.

If it works fine. If it doesn't I plan to sue Yamaha.
When I bought the Motif Xs7 all the promises in
their advertising were really dependent on having
the mLan16e2 card.

The short coming of theMotif XS7 was the users manual
and the dependency on the mLan16e2 card.
The manual not written in proper English and was basically
worthless. The Tyros 3 Keyboard manual was totally
opposite. The Tyros 3 manual was short, extremely
precise and well written, directly to the point, and I
hardly ever need to reference it. Therefore, I know that
Yamaha can hire a competent linguist to write manuals
that are meaningful.

Why sue ? I do not believe in creating adversaries,
especially when they create some of the best
musical instruments on the market. However,
Yamaha insists and persists on using deceptive
marketing practices. Three examples in this review.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/cop.gif
1). The Motif XS manual was worthless on purpose,
so that Yamaha could sell Tutorial Videos at
$ 40 dollar a wack. This is bait and switch and
is a felony in the U.S. of A..
2). To implement all the features advertised when
the Motif XS was initially released depended on
having the mLan16e2 installed. This is fraudulant
advertising. a misdemeanor at least.
3). Yamaha announced 'The Release' of Karma for
the Motif XS and XF at the Jan 2011 Namm show
and also used the words 'Released' on their
websites. NO ! It was not released. This is
outright/ blatant FRAUD ! I have waited now
a whole year and hopefully it will be released
in two or three days. Yes, I am going to buy it.

The above three examples are not speculation. They
are documented. Yamaha makes exceptionally good
products. Why they stoop to unlawful business
practices is beyond comprehension. I have lost a
very large amount of time because of the above 3
issues. I have also overwhelmingly enjoyed music
performance, composition, and making new musical
friendships as never before. I really do expect to sue
Yamaha as a class action suit, not for financial gain
or to be uppity, but to actually help Yamaha and
their clientele/customers.

I will not part with the Motif Xs until it wears out as it
is an awesome powerhouse performance machine.
After playing it I could no longer use my new Roland
G6, and only because of the key action. When I played
the Roland it was playing on a toy keyboard. I could
hear the Roland keys clicking and clacking.

To Yamaha's further credit, the Motivator website is
a real boost to customer support.

If recording on 16 channels via the mLan firewire
works I will buy the Presonus 16.4.2 or maybe
even a Yamaha firewire mixer, provided their
advertising is on level (honest).

Thanks, JD plateaustudios
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Still going...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread about a nearly dead system, but someone has to carry the torch so I guess it's me.

I've been putting off upgrading my XP system to Win7 32-bit for a few years now due to the nightmares I've heard about compatibility issues with mLan and Midex8 (my interfaces). Yesterday I dug in to give it a try.

The mLan installation went super-fast and clean, better than XP! The only quirk is to change the firewire card driver to "legacy" in the Device Manager before the mLan installation or it won't load the bus driver. For the Midex8's, I used version 1.9.3.

Everything works great with latency less than 5 ms.

Wish I'd done it a long time ago.
Old 16th April 2014
Here for the gear

MLAN driver update

Found this facebook group on MLAN and 01x.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/yamaha01x/

They also have a project to raise money for an independently developed 64 bit 01X MLAN driver:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/u...a-mlan-devices

I'm still using an ancient macbook pro with Snow Leopard. Can't seem to find a DAW console and interface I like as much as the 01X. Maybe an apollo and a mackie control?

Justin
Old 3rd May 2015
based on all my experience reading audio tech online + offline..
it blows my mind that the large portion of people out there who experience issues and problems dont stop + think to simply not try to use old hardware with new operating systems..

everyone wants to use the cutting edge apps i suppose..
but seriously.. if something was made in 2003 + 2004..
use it on the technology that was available in that time frame and u wont have a problem..

these interfaces were released at the very end of the classic mac os + the begginning of the big mac os x changeover..... of course 64bit snow leopard is going to be an issue when the project wasnt a total mainstream success.. the drivers were never developed..

snow leopard can be run in 32bit mode but to what effect? whats the point?
if it works fine on leopard.... then use it on leopard or mac os 9 or windows xp.. and be done with it.. it is what it is.. most interfaces are aimed at a particular os in their development - that is the way it is - and it will stay the way it is..

if u are an upgrade fanatic.. u are somewhat ignorant to the experiences shared by many people on forums over and over and over.. its always the same story.. 'im trying to use my old interface on a new os.. and it doesnt work! wah wah wah wah'

yes some companies provide excellent driver rewrites + updates.. but it should be expected that this is a deviation from the norm + u should not EXPECT a hardware company to fully support anything other then the original intended platform.. if u want to upgrade your os.. GET A NEW INTERFACE..
sell your old one.. we have many avenues for selling old hardware, ebay, classifieds etc... make sure the next person buying your gear knows your 'best use scenario'.... if the buyer is fine with using leopard or mac os 9 or windows xp they will get alot of value out of the equipment and its not like you are ripping them off..

if we stick to the original os its compatible with.. we can stick to doing what the whole point of having the gear is .. MAKING MUSIC..

some musicians are ok with never upgrading a damn thing, and are still able to break creative boundaries by keeping their mind on their music and not "upgrading" i think "upgrading" is a mental condition infecting many tech geek nerds.. who choose to focus on upgrading their software rather then using what they already have working...

mLAN "Dead in the water" no sir... if it works on an os.. then it WORKS.
people dont seem to understand what they are talking about. u are talking about completely different operating systems. they may have the same logo + graphic style but different operating systems can be as different as a motorcycle is to a bus is to a limo.. is to a suv.. yes they all can get u where u want to go but they work differently, and contain different functional parts..

to expect that one interface should support every os.. is ridiculous. and shows the lack of understanding on the users part of whats really going on under the hood in how their os works.. which is fine.. do we really need to understand every last bit about our os? no... we need to do the thing we bought the damn interface for in the firstplace.. record, mix, arrange, produce.

these things can all be done on old operating systems if u "upgrade" crack addicts can focus on being creative + rather then "upgrading" for the sake of "keeping up with the joneses"

bottom line.. mLAN works best on 32 bit operating systems.. because thats what it was made for.. dont try to use mLAN on a 64 bit os
save yourself from pulling your hair out.. it will never work because it was never designed to work on those systems.

if u own an mLAN device.. use it with the classic mac os, or windows xp. I would personally think windows xp might be the best choice.
people in this thread have reported it works great with tiger or leopard.. so use it on tiger or leopard!!
you will have no problems if u can accept that its a 2004 interface and its stuck working on a 2004 type of operating system.

http://web.archive.org/web/200312210...lan/syst1.html
this backup archived copy of the page from 2001 by yamaha clearly shows it demonstrated with a g4 mac..
while it clearly says on the system requirements page that the windows driver is "in development" this
shows u right there that they initially launched mlan on the mac classic os.. for g3s + g4 macs

Last edited by supernova777; 3rd May 2015 at 05:32 PM..
Old 3rd May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Steinbergs history of support of hardware leaves a lot of room for improvement. The Houston, the Midex, various soundcards, etc, etc.

The main reason I am not buying a MR816.
Agreed, Steinberg has always dropped the ball on support, tech, drivers...kinda reminds me of Roland. I had stopped using Cubase and had to sell my Midex 8 ... There were massive complaints about software being premature. I'll never go back. Definately eouldnt buy MR816.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search