The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
...does my new i7 920 DAW build look a-ok? Audio Interfaces
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Head

...does my new i7 920 DAW build look a-ok?

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4
PSU: Corsair 620HXEU
Memory: Crucial 6GB kit (2GBx3)
HDD: WD 1TB Green Power WD10EADS
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
Case: Antec Solo
GPU: MSI 512MB 8400GS
DVD: LG GH22LS30RB

what do you think? i put a lot of thought into it before asking you guys, but i'm no expert so at this point any corrective advice will be greatly appreciated!

i'm mostly not 100% sure about the HDD, cooler and VGA... plus that Crucial memory was chosen due to my budget, but i've not read anywhere that it'd be a bad choice either... or would it?

thank you
Old 29th August 2009
Gear nut

how much did it all cost?...

show off
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Head

i haven't bought it yet, that's why i'm asking...
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

the cooler is very good,
the ram .... i would go for corsair (normal 1333 or dominator 1600)
the hard disk ... don't go for "green" but go for 7200rpm hd
or even better go for 2 hd's (1 for OS, 1 for audio)
i would go for samsung F1 or seagate hd's
the antec solo is good but i would put in 2 nexus 120mm fans instead of the antec's (they are a bit noisy)
vga card is ok as long as it's fanless and has 2 dvi outputs
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
the ram .... i would go for corsair (normal 1333 or dominator 1600)
hmm, Crucial's no good? i was actually told that Corsairs memory might require a bit too much voltage and blow my CPU? if that's not true, then i would be able to get either of these too though, (would they work with the rest of my system then?): Corsair XMS3 and Corsair Dominator

Quote:
the hard disk ... don't go for "green" but go for 7200rpm hd or even better go for 2 hd's (1 for OS, 1 for audio) i would go for samsung F1 or seagate hd's
but the WD "Green Power" is 7200RPM with a 32MB cache and i've heard that the Samsung HDD's failure rate is much worse than that of WD's. i am getting two HDD's in total later on, just not this instant due to my budget.

Quote:
the antec solo is good but i would put in 2 nexus 120mm fans instead of the antec's (they are a bit noisy)
ah ok, i found some different Nexus 120mm fans. which ones these exactly - these, these or these? also i've read that this kind of fan mounts are recommended for the fans as well?

Quote:
vga card is ok as long as it's fanless and has 2 dvi outputs
damn, i'm so out of touch with computer technology... they're using DVI now? i have a flat Viewsonic VGA monitor sitting in my closet at the moment (i've been using solely laptops for an year.) the MSI 512MB 8400GS is fanless but i don't think it has 2 DVI outputs and none of VGAs. what could i pick then?
Old 29th August 2009
Gear addict

Don't get the Green, it isn't really 7200, get the Caviar Black. I had problems with a session on the Green, then ported to the Black-problems gone.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

xms3 and dominator will work, if you can afford it go for dominator (@1600)

f1 are the fastest i think but seagate has good reputation for support
as long as it's a real 7200rpm with 32mb cache you are good
(check the trick to make a 1.5TB faster then velociraptor 300MB @ less $)

your mobo supports pwm fans (very quiet @ 900rpm) so go for the pwm's

for video i would go for 9400GT or 9600GT (for the occasional game ??)

noctua has a new processor cooler which should be in the stores any moment (nh-14)
and another very good cooler is the prolimatech meghalem

why the ud4 and not ud4p mobo
(i know i would buy ud4 for the 3 pci slots but ud4p has one more pci-e)

it will be a fantastic daw ... that's for sure

ps what audio card will you be using ?
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Addict

I assume this PC is going to be used for some kind of audio recording. With the 3rd fastest chip on the planet I would opt for 2 Western Digital Velociraptor 10,000rpm hard drives. If you are really concerned about power consumption to the point of sacrificing hard drive speed then you probably could use a less expensive chip.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

I went with the ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 mobo. So far it's working great. I heard that fan is great, I went with a NEXUS FLC-3000 and it works great. The RAM I use is Corsair Dominator.
Old 30th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post
If you are really concerned about power consumption to the point of sacrificing hard drive speed...
i don't follow you, what do you mean by that?

Quote:
why the ud4 and not ud4p mobo
(i know i would buy ud4 for the 3 pci slots but ud4p has one more pci-e)
are there any other differences between the UD4 and UD4P besides that? because i didn't really find anything if there are and i guess i'd prefer an extra PCI slot as well if not.

Quote:
xms3 and dominator will work, if you can afford it go for dominator (@1600)
well i could... though then with Crucial i could afford 12GB right away for that price. is there a real world benefit to Corsair (vs these Crucials i was going for)? because i've read some basically negative reviews about those Dominators as well and they seem to be mostly recommended for overclockers going for 4GHz (which i'm not).

Quote:
for video i would go for 9400GT or 9600GT (for the occasional game ??)
no games at all seriously (or well if there's gonna be another sequel to Fallout then maybe... but i'd still be happy with whatever graphics anyway!)

Quote:
noctua has a new processor cooler which should be in the stores any moment (nh-14) and another very good cooler is the prolimatech meghalem
i was recommended the latter as well, but based on the i7 DAW build threads in Gearslutz i thought the Noctua would be just as good with less tweaking. right?

Quote:
it will be a fantastic daw ... that's for sure

ps what audio card will you be using ?
thanks a lot! i hope so too but i pretty much only have today to get 100% certainty about every component in this build. ideally i'd make the order tomorrow. i'll be using RME Fireface 400

here's what i'm at right now, with certainty percentage:

[100%] Intel Core i7 920
[100%] Antec Solo
[100%] Nexus 120mm Ultra Silent PWM (x2)
[100%] LG GH22LS30RB
[90%] Corsair 620HX
(...or would a 750TX be just as good & quiet, but with more power? they pretty much cost the same around here.)
[90%] Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
(...or the ProlimaTech Megahalems?)
[90%] Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4
(...or the UD4P?)
[70%]WD 1TB Black Caviar WD1001FALS
(or maybe the Seagate Barracuda ES.2 SATA 3.0-Gb/s 1-TB then?)
[50%] Crucial 6GB kit (2GBx6)
(or the Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 3x2GB? they cost twice as much though.)
[0%] GPU ...no idea whatsoever about what graphics card i need to get hah... something that stays quiet, works and doesn't get in the way (for about 50$) would be great... could someone please recommend me something like that?
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

ud4 if you see more use in "old" pci (like me for my 3 lynx aes cards)

ram i would go for 6gb instead of 12gb (that way you can afford dominator or xms3)

9400gt fanless should be great (you can add a second monitor later or use fullhd)

noctua and prolimatech are both great (i like scythe a lot ....)

i've read somewhere 750tx is noisy (i have 650tx and it's superquiet and enough power for your pc)

the seagate barracuda enterprise versions are expensive but very good
and the support later on is better i've heard. but you really need 2 drives at least.
much better 2x 500MB vs 1x 1TB
in a couple months 2TB external will cost 50$ or something ....
i mean backup storage can allways grow ...
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

I would wait if I were You. Next week Intel will release their new Lynnfield Core i7 and i5 processors. The Core i7 860, does not support triple channel memory, but since that is not supported by any software then synthetic benchmarks, it will probably outperform the 920 cause it runs on 2.8ghz stock, and will clock itself over to 3.4ghz when needed. The motherboards will also be much cheaper.

So the only reason You would want to go with a 920 is cause of the triple channel memory controller, which is usefull for sample based electronic music production due to the large bandwith. Just wait a month, check out the benchmarks, and see whats best. Personally I dont think there is any DAW software or plugin which supports the architecture of the 920 and its triple channel memory controller, only in synthetic memory benchmarks they score higher.

But we are music producers right? I would definately wait!
Old 30th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas View Post
I would wait if I were You. Next week Intel will release their new Lynnfield Core i7 and i5 processors. The Core i7 860, does not support triple channel memory, but since that is not supported by any software then synthetic benchmarks, it will probably outperform the 920 cause it runs on 2.8ghz stock, and will clock itself over to 3.4ghz when needed. The motherboards will also be much cheaper.

So the only reason You would want to go with a 920 is cause of the triple channel memory controller, which is usefull for sample based electronic music production due to the large bandwith. Just wait a month, check out the benchmarks, and see whats best. Personally I dont think there is any DAW software or plugin which supports the architecture of the 920 and its triple channel memory controller, only in synthetic memory benchmarks they score higher.

But we are music producers right? I would definately wait!
hmh... that sounds like an idea, BUT i am a work-a-holic and i don't have a workstation right now - i sold my old one to get the new one. i'd rather be getting to my mixing and producing deeds than just waiting around for a month to get about 5% better performance later. (the setup i have planned right now should be pretty stellar for a serious DAW anyway right?) however if it'd be more than 5% performance advantege with the i7 860 for example then i might wait... does anyone have any insight on this or is it just guessing at this point?

Quote:
ram i would go for 6gb instead of 12gb (that way you can afford dominator or xms3)
i see ok, but could you help me understand what the benefits are in Corsair's memory? and why getting Crucial would be ill-advised? i apologize if that's a n00b'ish question.

Quote:
9400gt fanless should be great (you can add a second monitor later or use fullhd)
ok, would you or anyone happen to know a specific good tried and tested fanless + 2xDVI 9400GT model?
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

u can use crucial if you want, the dominator is esp. usefull for overclocking
(which is the cheapest way to upgrade a pc...from i7 920 to 975)

9400GT is getting "outdated"
gigabyte has a good 9600GT (GV-NX96T1GHP)
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

Well if You can't affort to wait, a 920 is fine but make sure you get a D0 revision, the latest and most efficient version of the processor.

I can personally recommend Gygabyte mootherboard, and 3x2gb OCZ triple channel 1333mhz ram(or if heavy overclocking is required get 1600mhz or higer). GPU wise take something passively cooled unless You want to do heavy gaming too. Ati has a nice HD4850 passively cooled from Gygabyte, if You are not into gaming or video stuff tak something cheaper or use the onboard VGA

If You are going to build it yourself make sure the memory You pick is on the Quality Vendor list of your motherboard, that way You are sure things will be working as they should. I would NOT go for that Crucial memory.

GL, HF!
Old 30th August 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethh View Post

what do you think? i put a lot of thought into it before asking you guys, but i'm no expert so at this point any corrective advice will be greatly appreciated!

i'm mostly not 100% sure about the HDD, cooler and VGA... plus that Crucial memory was chosen due to my budget, but i've not read anywhere that it'd be a bad choice either... or would it?

thank you

Change the Case. You need something better, your skimping on something very important. You need a large case with plenty of ventilation space and more than one measly fan. Also the power supply imo is dubious. Your right to go modular but you should really be thinking about 750w+. The more the better.

Ask any hardcore gamer who build their own systems and they will tell you that cooling and power are crucial but thats often what people miss out and instead think that ram and CPU is all that matters. Forget those 10k drives. I had one and it honestly never made a difference. Not saying it doesnt on some systems, I just didnt notice a thing and felt a little cheated. If they were that good everyone would be using them me thinks.
Old 30th August 2009
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=sethh;4525200]i don't follow you, what do you mean by that?QUOTE]

I am say that with that processor you will want the fastest hard drive you can get (preferably two of them) to reap the full benefit of the processor.
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

the solo is a very good case, with good airflow
change the outtake fan for a nexus
use a second nexus behind the hd's cage as intake
it will be quiet and cool (with the noctua on the proc)

i have a tx650 in my antec sonata and it's very quiet and i'm sure enough power for your i7 920 (modular is not much difference in solo case for airflow !!)

corsair ram is mentioned on the gigabyte site, crucial is not ....
all corsair xms3 and dominator modules are rated 1.65V (don't know about crucial)
Old 30th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
9400GT is getting "outdated"
gigabyte has a good 9600GT (GV-NX96T1GHP)
i checked out and the 9600GT's all cost a bit too much, i just wanna save some money on that because the rest of the build is getting pretty expensive. don't care if it's "outdated" at all... i'll try to find some decent 9400GT then

Quote:
Well if You can't affort to wait, a 920 is fine but make sure you get a D0 revision, the latest and most efficient version of the processor.
yep, i've read that D0 stepping thing as well. i also managed to find out that there's a lot of speculation if the i7 860 will be better than the 920 at all. also it'll cost more than the 920 does at first for a while, so doesn't really seem like a good choice since i wanna get crackin' already.

Quote:
I can personally recommend Gygabyte mootherboard, and 3x2gb OCZ triple channel 1333mhz ram(or if heavy overclocking is required get 1600mhz or higer). GPU wise take something passively cooled unless You want to do heavy gaming too. Ati has a nice HD4850 passively cooled from Gygabyte, if You are not into gaming or video stuff tak something cheaper or use the onboard VGA
there's no onboard VGA on the one i'm choosing (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P). i was actually told to stay away from the ATI cards though, but it wasn't quite made clear to me why... something about a HD soundcard.

Quote:
If You are going to build it yourself make sure the memory You pick is on the Quality Vendor list of your motherboard, that way You are sure things will be working as they should. I would NOT go for that Crucial memory.

GL, HF!
oh thanks! i didn't realize they had that on their site

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post
I am say that with that processor you will want the fastest hard drive you can get (preferably two of them) to reap the full benefit of the processor.
ah ok yeah. i'll get one 1TB and one about 500GB for the OS then, both 7200RPM 32MB cache. that Velociraptor doesn't seem like it's worth the money to me, because SSD would probably be a better upgrade in the future when their prices start falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHB View Post
Change the Case. You need something better, your skimping on something very important. You need a large case with plenty of ventilation space and more than one measly fan. Also the power supply imo is dubious. Your right to go modular but you should really be thinking about 750w+. The more the better.

Ask any hardcore gamer who build their own systems and they will tell you that cooling and power are crucial but thats often what people miss out and instead think that ram and CPU is all that matters. Forget those 10k drives. I had one and it honestly never made a difference. Not saying it doesnt on some systems, I just didnt notice a thing and felt a little cheated. If they were that good everyone would be using them me thinks.
i've read loads of reviews and forum discussions by actual users (not only in here), about the Antec Solo cases and honestly i can't see your point... there's one fan installed, but it has room for an optional two more. this review states that it doesn't even need them:

"Those who wish to improve the cooling scheme of the SOLO case have few options, but there’s little need for any improvement in the first place. That said, if relying on a single 120mm case fan just isn’t good enough for you, install a pair of 92mm fans in the front fan spots. However, adding these fans unnecessarily will only increase the noise produced by the machine with marginal cooling improvement; test your hardware in the SOLO first before deciding that you need additional case fans. If you want to remain noise-conscious, but just need those extra case fans, I recommend Evercool’s “Evergreen” fans, which I’ve found to be extremely quiet even at full voltage."

also i've been told by many people that the 620HX would be totally enough for my build. you think it won't? plus according to what i've researched it's quieter than the 750TX.

Quote:
the solo is a very good case, with good airflow
change the outtake fan for a nexus
use a second nexus behind the hd's cage as intake
it will be quiet and cool (with the noctua on the proc)
speaking of that, you told me to get two 120mm fans, but the specs say it has room for one 120mm and two 92mm fans...?

Quote:
i have a tx650 in my antec sonata and it's very quiet and i'm sure enough power for your i7 920 (modular is not much difference in solo case for airflow !!)
sounds good. what are the biggest power consumers though? i wonder how much RAM and HDD i'll be able to upgrade with that PSU later on...
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Since I'm building a gaming system around X58, I'm essentially doing the same research as you. You have a solid list overall...all I can add are comments and a suggestion here and there.

Quote:
[100%] Antec Solo
I'd get at least an Antec P182, or a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. A big steel case will absorb sound.

Quote:
[90%] Corsair 620HX
(...or would a 750TX be just as good & quiet, but with more power? they pretty much cost the same around here.)
Unless you plan on serious overclocking or multiple high-end graphics cards, a smaller PSU will serve you better by being more efficient and quiet. A VX450 should be more than enough. Here's a more intense system than yours that maxes out at around 370W.

Quote:
[90%] Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
(...or the ProlimaTech Megahalems?)
Noctua's a solid brand. I'd personally would get a Mugen II to save money and b/c it's more efficient than the Noctua. This chart from Xbitlabs should help.

Quote:
[90%] Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4
(...or the UD4P?)
It's hard to go wrong in this range. Personally, I'm getting an Asrock X58 Extreme, and I've heard good things about the ECS Black X58B-A, both of which could save you a little bit of money.

Western Digital, in my experience, has been more reliable and quiet than Seagate. Personally, I was fine with your first choice, the Green.

Quote:
[50%] Crucial 6GB kit (2GBx6)
(or the Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 3x2GB? they cost twice as much though.)
They're absolutely solid. This comparison test should help you feel confident with the Crucial. I personally am getting $86 PQI memory since I have no interest in overclocking RAM and just want quantity. Plus it looks pretty cool.

Quote:
[0%] GPU ...no idea whatsoever about what graphics card i need to get hah... something that stays quiet, works and doesn't get in the way (for about 50$) would be great... could someone please recommend me something like that?
There're fanless GPU's out there...I'd get dual DVI outputs in case you ever want 30" monitors (and there's less of a chance, as minuscule as it is for interference). This one only takes a single slot and is $63. If you're willing to fill out a rebate and have a GPU taking up two spaces, there's this $57/42 card.

Btw, I hope you're getting two LCDs right, with more than a TN panel?
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

the solo is indeed a little bit different from my sonata ...
so get 1x 120mm fan for rear outtake, and one or two 92mm fans for intake
(you will have to be able to turn the rpm down on the 92's cause they are louder)

or indeed a larger case will be better in all aspects :
more 120mm fans, better airflow, better cooling, more silent, more easy to build, ...
the antec p-182 or p-183 are great !

450w psu might be just enough, i have a hx-450 somewhere and it's quiet
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

thank you
How much does it cost ?

The reason im asking is if you can get a Mac pro for a similar price id get the Mac Pro instead.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
How much does it cost ?

The reason im asking is if you can get a Mac pro for a similar price id get the Mac Pro instead.
Maybe between $1200 and $1500? Much cheaper than the cheapest Quad Core Mac Pro.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

if you really want you can install osx on your i7
Old 1st September 2009
Gear Head

don't want OS X, just sold my MBP to get this build

anyway i've already ordered the following components now:

Intel Core i7 920 D0
Antec P182
Corsair 620HXEU
(2x) WD Black Caviar 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
MSI 512MB 8400GS
LG GH22NP20RBB

i consulted an actual computer engineer for a change and he said i wouldn't need anything more than the stock fan for the i7 920, unless i wanna overclock, and he it'd be quiet enough in the Antec as well... so i'll skip that for now, but i still can't decide on the most important last two things - which mobo and 3x2 RAM kit? i've been googling like crazy and all those Crucials, OCZs and Corsairs have been problematic with this motherboard. BSOD's and so on. also none of the recommended ones are actually listed in the list of Gigabytes official GA-EX58-UD4P memory support list. plus some reviews about this mobo are saying it makes a squeal or a whine. what to do? some other board? or maybe Kingston HyperX memory? it's not available where i live at the moment, but some of it's versions really are in UD4P's memory support list.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
don't want OS X, just sold my MBP to get this build

anyway i've already ordered the following components now:

Intel Core i7 920 D0
Antec P182
Corsair 620HXEU
(2x) WD Black Caviar 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
MSI 512MB 8400GS
LG GH22NP20RBB

i consulted an actual computer engineer for a change and he said i wouldn't need anything more than the stock fan for the i7 920, unless i wanna overclock, and he it'd be quiet enough in the Antec as well... so i'll skip that for now, but i still can't decide on the most important last two things - which mobo and 3x2 RAM kit? i've been googling like crazy and all those Crucials, OCZs and Corsairs have been problematic with this motherboard. BSOD's and so on. also none of the recommended ones are actually listed in the list of Gigabytes official GA-EX58-UD4P memory support list. plus some reviews about this mobo are saying it makes a squeal or a whine. what to do? some other board? or maybe Kingston HyperX memory? it's not available where i live at the moment, but some of it's versions really are in UD4P's memory support list.
Ask the shop to test it before sending, OCZ usually is fine, and your making an investment here, it's the least they can do!

My OCZ i7 Triple channel 1333mhz was also not on the Asus P6T Deluxe QVL, but it works flawlessly..
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

there are only a few people on this board who i really listen to when it comes to daw's !!
and they'll tell you to get a gigabyte mobo, with corsair dominator ram.

on the gigabyte site the corsair xms3 - 1600 is listed in the memory support list !!!

but asrock x58 with value ram will be a whole lot cheaper and it will work

as for cooling and noise, just try the standard coolers and fans
and after a while disassemble everything to get you mobo out again for a new cooler

a good cooler will be between 10-15° cooler and a whole lot quieter.
and a lower temp should give a longer livespan

the p-182 is a good case, but to keep it quiet you will need 4 120mm fans
(the antec tricool is a bit loud even at low speed setting .. but not as loud as standard proc. fans)
Old 1st September 2009
Gear Addict

The only issue I had with OCZ memory is that I had to raise the voltage from 2.00 to 2.10 Vols, has been working without any problems since then.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

for x-58 mobo's max advised ram voltage is 1.65V (more could damage... blabla)
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Just built a similar system, first build ever, 920/UD4P and same PSU which I find is more than enough (so far), but with Antec P183 case. it's quite big but airflow is nice, I'm only using the stock cooler only but there is cool air coming out of it at all time.

RAM I went with OCZ Gold, no issues yet.

Video - Sapphire HD 4550 (I also have dual monitors) other than having to reset my desktop parameters for dual screen after every reboot it works fine (prob a user error)

HDs I went with 10,000 RPM Velociraptor for system (complete overkill maybe but I splurged) WD 1 TB Caviar Black for Audio

Overall cost was about $1300 with shipping

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search