The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Maybe a more complicated test tone e.g. modulated sines with varying modulation periods can be used. Attack/release behavior should interfere with the phase of the modulation and after some analysis, these aspects could probably be calculated. But that's way beyond my level of math prowess...
That's a square wave (set to a very low frequency, say, 5 or 10Hz).

In my experience, sine bursts and white noise is also sufficient.

Sine bursts for example give good info on frequency dependency. White noise gives an idea of what a flat and full bandwidth provokes.

The missing part is that the resulting signal should be further rectified and smoothed a bit (AC to DC conversion) to generate nice smooth plots. No idea if any audio editor offers AC to DC conversion. Could be worth building a small plugin doing just that, to produce nice DC plots from AC signals.

Finally, you should also try very low frequency triangle waves, as they have the ability to directly "draw" the effective gain transfer curve.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
That's a square wave (set to a very low frequency, say, 5 or 10Hz).
The problem IMO is that such waveforms stress the analog part of the compressor , which makes analysis difficult.

Quote:
Finally, you should also try very low frequency triangle waves, as they have the ability to directly "draw" the effective gain transfer curve.
It is a nice test with plugins but again, hardware would just roll off these frequencies.
Old 24th April 2018
Maybe they do, but then, that's what they do. And likely the reason why they sound different to the mathematically more likely correct digital pendants (is that an English word?).

They limit the bandwidth, cut the lows, add phase shift. No true dynamics processing business, but that's what they do.

The AC/DC problem is independent of analogue or digital, it's simply necessary to produce proper step response plots from an AC device (except if you can access the internal gain control signal in a way or another, i.e. directly use this DC signal).

Last edited by FabienTDR; 25th April 2018 at 12:36 AM..
Old 25th April 2018
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
pendants (is that an English word?).
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-pedants-wikipedia-source-public-domain-release.png

I think you meant to say pedants. ;-)

Which, clearly, I am one of.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-pedants-wikipedia-source-public-domain-release.png  
Old 25th April 2018
Sorry, I meant counter-part/mirror image. It's a common word in German and French, so I expected it to be known in English, lol.
Old 25th April 2018
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, I meant counter-part/mirror image. It's a common word in German and French, so I expected it to be known in English, lol.
Ah yes, that meaning is in the dictionary, just not in my head's dictionary.

Quote:
The missing part is that the resulting signal should be further rectified and smoothed a bit (AC to DC conversion) to generate nice smooth plots. No idea if any audio editor offers AC to DC conversion. Could be worth building a small plugin doing just that, to produce nice DC plots from AC signals.
Hmm, the "JS - Gain Reduction Scope" plugin script that comes with Reaper could be modified to enable audio files of the smoothed gain reduction sample values to be rendered.

Here's what I did to achieve this:

Add the output pins after line 18:

Code:
in_pin:left input 1
in_pin:right input 1
in_pin:left input 2
in_pin:right input 2
out_pin:left output
out_pin:right output
options:no_meter
In the @sample section, change these lines...

Code:
 recpos[0]=rmsb.rms.get_l() - rmsa.rms.get_l(); 
 recpos[1]=rmsb.rms.get_r() - rmsa.rms.get_r();
to the following:

Code:
 spl0 = recpos[0]=rmsb.rms.get_l() - rmsa.rms.get_l(); 
 spl1 = recpos[1]=rmsb.rms.get_r() - rmsa.rms.get_r();
 spl0 = 2 ^(spl0 / 0.696468);
 spl1 = 2 ^(spl1 / 0.696468);
EDIT: Corrected scaling coefficient from 0.692 to 0.696468.

Feed uncompressed signal to channels 3/4, compressed to 1/2. Positive values = amount of gain reduction by the compressor under test.

Attached: Sample view of JS - Gain Reduction Scope, rendered floating point WAV file opened in iZotope RX6.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-reaper-gain-reduction-scope.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-exported-rms-gr.jpg  

Last edited by qwe; 25th April 2018 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Corrected scaling coefficient from 0.692 to 0.696468.
Old 25th April 2018
Cool!
Old 25th April 2018
Looks pretty smooth! Now one should be able to use all sorts of bursts, from sine over sum of sines to noise based signals.
Old 26th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
Hmm, the "JS - Gain Reduction Scope" plugin script that comes with Reaper could be modified to enable audio files of the rectified and smoothed gain reduction sample values to be rendered.
Thank you for a very useful technique to analyze compressor’s envelope. I used rms = 3 ms for quicker response. This test is much more precise, then looking at the waveform of the rendered track.

After 3 hours of testing, I found NI vc76 to be the closest to UAD 1176. (Tr5 is second closest) I was shocked how ridiculous every slate fg166, waves cl76, psp fet, overloud fet - 1176 is not easy to code.

I tested dbx160 style. Waves, ni, and uad are actually really close to each other. A little bit different frequency dependency of compression, but the envelope is the same.

Tr5 ssl, distressor, glue has pretty much the same envelope curve. But the tone is different.

That was intense testing.

Once again it’s only compressor’s envelope test with precise metering.

Upd.: oh, and uad la-2a legacy is actually a peak-compressor. crazy, right?

Last edited by EvgenyStudio; 27th April 2018 at 06:49 AM..
Old 1st May 2018
Quote:
Possibly the analogue hardware has overall "smoother" action?
Yes, you absolutely right.
I checked a lot of compressor demos from hardware compressor thread in shootout section. It seems like peak compressor exists only in digital domain.

This method (gain reduction slope) also can show you if there’s some harmonic and frequency coloration (saturation and eq). And even some big units like shadow hill mastering compressor doesn’t have any eq coloration and also have not to much saturation. Retro 176, distressor... i mean there’s a lot of samples. And every single one is clean and open.

I was really shocked when uad la-2a start acting like a peak compressor. Thoughts like “everything is a lie” came in.

I check hardware la-2a samples and “the closest to real thing” plugins are tla100a and vc2a.

Kotelnikov is a mastering compressor beast. With linking control set to 50% it sound alive on mix buss.

Once again, qwe, thank you for showing this method.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post

After 3 hours of testing, I found NI vc76 to be the closest to UAD 1176. (Tr5 is second closest) I was shocked how ridiculous every slate fg166, waves cl76, psp fet, overloud fet - 1176 is not easy to code.
Did you also test the Softube FET? I ask because your results seem to favor Softube code (also for your LA2A tests) and they also coded the VC76.
Old 2nd May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstatic View Post
Did you also test the Softube FET?
Yes, it also really good (i mean its envelopes looks like reference envelope from hardware 1176). If you have it - use it. It behaves like 1176.

But for me it looks like they did "fet circuit" for vc76 a little better. So envelope follower looks closer to reference.

I believe they didn't improve code for FET plugin from the release. They fixed bugs, gain reduction meter, and some minor things, but "circuit" is the same as was released back in... 2008?
But it still an impressive plugin.

Also, keep in mind, softube plugins run with oversampling, and native instruments plugins don't. If you like pushing plugin compressor a little too hard, softube fet would be a much nicer tool for that.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
Yes, it also really good (i mean its envelopes looks like reference envelope from hardware 1176). If you have it - use it. It behaves like 1176.

But for me it looks like they did "fet circuit" for vc76 a little better. So envelope follower looks closer to reference.

I believe they didn't improve code for FET plugin from the release. They fixed bugs, gain reduction meter, and some minor things, but "circuit" is the same as was released back in... 2008?
But it still an impressive plugin.

Also, keep in mind, softube plugins run with oversampling, and native instruments plugins don't. If you like pushing plugin compressor a little too hard, softube fet would be a much nicer tool for that.
Any of you running a recent Presonus Studio One and test the Fat channel? That's an 1176 and LA2A emulation onboard and would be very helpful to see how it stacks up. I'd volunteer but my heart meds make me out of your element

Probably piece of cake for those of you who are good at routing.
Old 2nd May 2018
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks pretty smooth! Now one should be able to use all sorts of bursts, from sine over sum of sines to noise based signals.
I think what's needed is a nice list of such test signals to use. :-)
Old 3rd May 2018
Quote:
I think what's needed is a nice list of such test signals to use. :-)
One approach that I often use to verify my stuff are sine-bursts in a bed of noise.

1. Create an empty file
2. Add a white noise floor around say, -40dB.
3. Now add high level sine bursts to it, of varying frequency and durations. All with generous space between them.

The idea is to track the release phase by watching how the noise floor behaves after different types of bursts stop.

Good sounding compressors typically vary the release phase in dependence of burst duration and frequency.

Generally, it's rather difficult to analyse a dynamics processor as a black box. Given sufficient complexity, it can likely be impossible. Imagine a compressor showing a moon phase dependency, it could take years to even observe these effects 1, 2 times before they disappear again for years.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Imagine a compressor showing a moon phase dependency,...
now THAT sounds like some hardware one could sell to audiophiles
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Freeclip

Here's what 'Freeclip' clipper and waveshaper modes look like.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-arctangent.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-algebraic.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-hyperbolic.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-cubic.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-quintic.png  

Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-hard.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-freeclip.png  
Attached Images
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-image.png 
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Those images above are clipping at -1db

Each mode had different thresholds before aliasing occurs. Its handy to know how far you can push things with this plugin and remain alias free.

The gain levels vary dramatically depending on the rate 48/96 and the clip/waveshape modes;

Algebraic @48 gain +1.8db
Algebraic @96 gain +8.0db
Arctangent @48 gain +1db
Arctangent @96 gain +4db
Cubic @48 gain +3.4db
Cubic @96 gain +3.4db
Hyperbolic @48 gain +6db
Hyperbolic @96 gain +11db
Quintic @48 gain +1.8db
Quintic @96 gain +1.9db

I've excluded the default hard clip for obvious reasons.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

what about softube cl1b mk2? has anyone analysed it yet?
Old 1 week ago
Oh! Plugindoctor now supports external I/O!

Looks like we can finally launch a new "ultimate hardware analysis" thread!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh! Plugindoctor now supports external I/O!

Looks like we can finally launch a new "ultimate hardware analysis" thread!
I'm in the process of measuring all aspects of my Silver Bullet. Quite interesting.

Alistair
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Oh my, Plugindoctor revealed all stuff i've heard in compressors! Now i can see how they react! And wonder, why there're no universal comp plugin that has any A/R curves besides log and sigmoid, basically a pot - concave/convex, and overshoot parameter, transient squash parameter...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Oh my, Plugindoctor revealed all stuff i've heard in compressors! Now i can see how they react! And wonder, why there're no universal comp plugin that has any A/R curves besides log and sigmoid, basically a pot - concave/convex, and overshoot parameter, transient squash parameter...
DMG Compassion...

Alistair
Old 6 days ago
I did a little analysis of my 1073 clone by Warmer (it's not Warm Audio, it's Russian custom builder). As you can see, it has a flat frequency response. When used as "normal mic preamp", there's little coloration in the spectrum after 60 hertz. I have REW file with deep analysis of harmonics, I attached it (with Babyface Pro and Apollo Twin measurements).

Looks interesting! Because of every single neve-emulation by slate, ua, arturia, etc has weird frequency response and harmonic saturation. Only true 1073 preamp plugin is Black Rooster 73

Plugin doctor is must have, right now!

notes:
1 when I test frequency response I forget to disengage HPF in RME line in EQ.
2 there's 50 and 100 hz hum happening from power supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-1073-dist-mode-50-hz.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-1073-dist-mode.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-1073-freq-responce.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-1073-normal-condition-50-hz.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-1073-normal-condition-449-hz.png  

Attached Files
File Type: mdat RME vs UA vs 1073.mdat (7.46 MB, 4 views)
Old 6 days ago
Agreed on the Black Rooster VPRE-73. The first time I heard it i knew I had something special.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search