The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alias's and OS X pain in the neck
Old 4th May 2003
Mindreader

Alias's and OS X pain in the neck

I have a practice of keeping all my samples and plug ins on a seperate drive, with alias pointing to them from Logic.

In OS 9 that was cool. The plug in folder in logic had an alias that was to the plug ins on my audio drive. The sample instruments folder pointed to the one on the drive. Etc

Now in OS X AU plugins aren't localised in one folder of an application any more, they are all found in ./library/audio/plugins, which is cool because it makes them system wide

But I just tried to do the alias thing like I did in OS 9. I put an alias folder in ./library/audio/plugins and pointed it at a folder on my audio drive which held a bunch of AU plugs.

Goodbye plugs. Huh.

Which is a HUGE pain in the arse because I was pointing them to ATMOSPHERE, STYLUS & TRILOGY which take up a whopping 9 gig of drive space which I DON'T want on my main drive. But they will only function if they are in that stupid system folder.

This means I can't walk off with my hard drive and use this stuff on another machine unless I copy it. 9 gig? Pah.

Any one else tried to do something like this? It's really annoying.
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Alias's and OS X pain in the neck

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
I have a practice of keeping all my samples and plug ins on a seperate drive, with alias pointing to them from Logic.

In OS 9 that was cool. The plug in folder in logic had an alias that was to the plug ins on my audio drive. The sample instruments folder pointed to the one on the drive. Etc

Now in OS X AU plugins aren't localised in one folder of an application any more, they are all found in ./library/audio/plugins, which is cool because it makes them system wide

But I just tried to do the alias thing like I did in OS 9. I put an alias folder in ./library/audio/plugins and pointed it at a folder on my audio drive which held a bunch of AU plugs.

Goodbye plugs. Huh.

Which is a HUGE pain in the arse because I was pointing them to ATMOSPHERE, STYLUS & TRILOGY which take up a whopping 9 gig of drive space which I DON'T want on my main drive. But they will only function if they are in that stupid system folder.

This means I can't walk off with my hard drive and use this stuff on another machine unless I copy it. 9 gig? Pah.

Any one else tried to do something like this? It's really annoying.

strange .... my spectrasonics aliases work. I did it exactly the way the read me described in the osx upgrade installer. .... with the alias like you describe it and the plugin on a seperate (firewire external) drive. It works.
Old 5th May 2003
Mindreader

thats encouraging

I wonder if its got anything to do with it being a firewire drive that im aliasing to
Old 5th May 2003
Gear Addict

Works here too. Oddly enough, it did NOT work on install. I had to make a new stylus.dat alias and then all was fine.
Old 5th May 2003
Mindreader

aha

I made an alias of the FOLDER with it all in, which used to work in OS 9

Perhaps X doesn't scan embedded folders for plugs n stuff, only things in the main plug folder itself

interesting

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search