The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bridging the gap between notation software and your DAW..
Old 7th August 2009
Gear nut

Bridging the gap between notation software and your DAW..

Just wondering how some of you incorporate your notation software with your DAW? Some programs seem to be more oriented to do this well some don't.

I prefer to compose for certain instruments (strings, brass, some percussion....) with notation and samples. Finale and Sibelius seem to be "trying" to make it easier to bridge the gap, but haven't really come up with a really "DAW friendly" option.

I know that with Notion3 it's something we're really focused on (streamlining the work flow between DAW and notation). From what I've seen so far Notion3 makes me feel more "at home" considering I'm coming from a DAW users perspective.....so......

how do you currently incorporate your notation software with your DAW?
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

The easiest way is to export midi, of course. The best way is to publish (print) and record people playing it.

But also, Sibelius lets you record parts using your favorite instrument plugins. It seems like , for the purposes you have described here, with Sibelius you wouldn't need to use a DAW.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Forgot to mention...

Sibelius lets you adjust they way it plays all the notes and expression markings. BUT... I prefer to fine tune MIDI in DP.
Old 7th August 2009
Gear nut

So you don't use the ReWire function with Sibelius? I've tried it and never been able to get it to work.

I completely agree the best case is you print the parts for people to record, but that's not always possible...sooo.....

I honestly don't want my DAW to provide "everything" I need to compose...I want it to focus on producing a "sweet smelling final product" and recording audio. I still prefer using notation as opposed to the MIDI/sequencer...and the idea of using ReWire to combine a notation program with my DAW is very exciting.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

If I'm recording MIDI, I'm very meticulous about adjusting every single note to perfection, and like I said, I do that in DP. DP has a form of notation editing, but I've never used it. I tend to prefer to apply the best tool for the job in both cases.

The rewire thing sounds cool, but I want the exacting control of MIDI that I get in my DAW for production. But in the case of creating a sample parts for studio musicians, I would just record it in Sib.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have Sibelius 5. I haven't upgraded to 6 because I can't get the demo to work in rewire mode. What I do is use MIDI Yoke to compose in Sibelius sending MIDI to Sonar and setting up all my sounds in Sonar. This way, as long as I keep my tracks lined up I can just paste the MIDI in to Sonar to mix. What I would prefer is for Sonar to have usable notation so I could create in Sonar an print in Sibelius. Buy, alas, Sonar's notation is a joke.
Old 7th August 2009
The notation in Protools 8 is Sibelius .. although the functionality
is greatly reduced. The limited amount it does do is excellent (compared
to some of the other built-in notation systems).

jeff
Old 7th August 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post

jeff

Yea...I just haven't tried it due to the "greatly reduced" funciton it provides. As I said earlier I prefer to use two programs for the tasks as a form of "staging" the composition/recording, but competent ReWire from a notation software would certainly be helpful.

I'll have to give the notation in 8 a try...it just seemed like a last minute addition when they announced it which is probably why I never tried to use it....
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post

jeff

That was a great stroke for Protools but I don't use it.
Old 7th August 2009
Actually, I've just been using Logic's Score editor for any notation that I need to do, which is admittedly not enough to warrant an external notation editor.

If I were going to really get into notation as a primary function though, I have to say, I was really impressed with notion.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
Actually, I've just been using Logic's Score editor for any notation that I need to do, which is admittedly not enough to warrant an external notation editor.

If I were going to really get into notation as a primary function though, I have to say, I was really impressed with notion.
Logic's notation is fine. I'd be happy if Sonar's was as good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search