The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advics for buying a samplere
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

Advics for buying a samplere

Hi!
Last year I wrote a similar post at the DUC. Lots of nice opinions and controversy aroused. Now it is time for a final evaluation.
I am a PT TDM Mix user. I use my system connected to 2 adat bridges, lightpiped to an 02R V2 and plenty of nice original plug-ins. I use XP80, JV880, D4, DM5, MDC1, SRJV Soul, JW50 synths/keyboards.
Many years ago I used to work with W30, very good for that age. I think I saw Prodigy on Tv playing with one. 6 or 8 discrte outputs. It was pretty cool.

I have considered buying a Fanton-S 61 keys. However, I got really disappointed to know that it has the same limited 64 voice of the previos model. Guys have told me that Motif is a pain in the ass and that Triton patches are already everywhere.

I have also seen on the web that AKai-s hardware boxes like S6000 or pretty buggy.

Others advised me to go with Logic, others with Gigastudio , needing an additional PC.

So what do you guys think ould be a budget/good solution?
Hardware boxes like AKAI S5000, Yamaha A4000 or software versions?

Thanks in advance

Old 3rd May 2003
I think most people see the hardware sampler as obsolete.
Things like the ESX24 and MACH5 are going to hammer the last nail in the coffin.
BTW, I own an S5000 and have had absolutely no problems with it.
If you want a hardware sampler buy it cheap !
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Alecio

As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of finance and time. If my work demanded I use a sampler in the way that samplers can do these days and I had the money to burn I'd go Giga and PC now and get all the fantastic optimized sample lib's to go with it, Garritan strings have just dropped in price due to the expansion of hi-end orch libs hitting the market, incidentally.

What i am going to do is stick with SSC in PT until i upgrade my computer to the fastest most powerful powermac money can buy at the time, upgrade to PT6 then upgrade my NI Kontakt and/or buy Mach5.

The future for giga looks flaky and the market for soft sampler plug-in's a la Spectrasonics Stylus Trilogy etc on the Mac format is looking great. It's this time in middle that's dragging.

Renie
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Something that bugs me is that if they decide to stop developing a software sampler.. Digi stopped Masterlist and SSC, didn´t?

What s Mach5? a plugin sampler for PT HD only?
thanks
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

Has anyone tested Fanton-S?
Is it some kind of bundle between FANTOM OF and an S760?
Poliphony sucks...
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Alécio Costa
What s Mach5? a plugin sampler for PT HD only?
thanks
www.motu.com

RTAS users rejoice...
Old 6th May 2003
hi Alecio,
if you want to go hardware I highly recommend the Yamaha A5000, I use one and an A4000 in my setup and I love them, the A5000 has up to 126 note polyphony and sounds great, you have a nice FX section (up to six fx) one eq and resonant filter per sample (or multisample if you want) and lots of other features, if you dont want to use your computer or your tdm dsp for those tasks it might be just what you need

A5000

Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

thanks dear. IS the A4000 still available? what about the GUI? Yamaha is cool but has a little bad fame about DOS.
Old 7th May 2003
I think it's still available, as for the interface I think it's very simple and easy to use, but you can do some very complex programming as well, what do you mean about DOS ?
you mean they have a reputation for being hard to learn ? once you get the basics you'll be ok....
if you decide to get one make sure you try the ram first just to make sure it's compatible and get an internal IDE hard drive to save your stuff and speed up loading times, there's a list of approved ram and drives at yamaha's UK and US page
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Nut

Akai S5000

Hi Alecio,

Another thumbs up for the S5000 or S6000, i use an S5 with Adat 16out card and really like it. Akai SYS alows you to edit and drag and drop and edit all your samples from your PC/Mac too (via USB) - if you can get one second hand and cheap, its a good solid machine. The latest OS is stable too, the first ones were terrible......

Cheers
Dave
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Alecio,

Crucially, what do you want the sampler for? what genre, application? big lib's like Garritan strings or drumwork, sound design?

It's a major part of the right answer.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Hi friends. The problem is that AKAI stuff is pretty expensive on here. Yamha stuff shall do the trick . I was considering Fanton-S, but still with 64 voice poliphony. I hope its sequencer is completly different from the XP80. Man, I love Roland, but with that keyboard they missed the boat.
Even my toy JW50 workstation has a more accurate sequencer.
And I have also tested a XP60 of a friend of mine, its the same pain in the ass.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Generally for Pop stuff. Drums, bases, some cool strings.
No need for sampled guitars > Amp FArm well played does a nce job
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Maniac

MachFive has unlimited polyphony. fuuck

I'd seriously check it out...if you've got the DSP to burn. As Chrisso said, it is the nail in the coffin. In 2 words:

F***king Beast.

Totally cross platform, cross application, cross sample library format. What else do you need?

Btw LIST cost is only $395 US.

Now if only UAD would write a "powered" version of it..."And here's my dedicated MachFive DSP card." =D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search