The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Hall
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Addict

EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Hall

Hey Everyone,

Is there anyone who knows in which hall the recording for the samples was done, I could be stupid, but I don't seem so find it in the manual....

Thanks, Julian
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Head

It's the Benaroya in Seattle.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Addict

thanks!
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Head

You're welcome - they tried to keep it secret a couple of years ago but somebody found out and word got out. It's definitively not in the manual.
They have since confirmed that that is the hall, I believe.
An IR from that hall is included in the PLAY engine, and rumour has it that the Benaroya people have some kind of "No Impulse Response Recording" agreement with East West.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Addict

...strange they wanted to keep it secret...but I guess you guessed it: I'm after the IR from that hall!
think I'll have to upgrade to Play then...

thanks again,

Julian
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Head

Some people have reported getting good results with using an impulse from the Concertgebouw in your city - although it has about 400 seats less, it has pretty much the same cubic volume.
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanderedin View Post
An IR from that hall is included in the PLAY engine, and rumour has it that the Benaroya people have some kind of "No Impulse Response Recording" agreement with East West.
Not true! I signed the agreement and there is nothing in the agreement about impulses, we were contractually prevented from disclosing the name of the concert hall ... I don't know why, but we didn't argue, we needed it!

Cheers,

- DR
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Head

Thanks for the info, Doug.
That's why I said it was a rumour - a member of your forum at soundsonline tried to schedulde a session to record some impulses at Benaroya and was informed of a zero impulse policy there.
Thanks for clearing up that this has nothing to do with you.

To JulianBrightnes:

maybe some more info that might be helpful to you:

Benaroya:
Reverb Time 2.2secs
189750 sq ft
2500 seats
68' x 40' stage
Cherry Wood construction

Some settings for the Concertgebouw response that people have come up with (I didn't test these):
Pre Delay 6.7ms
Early IR Size 70.6%
Late IR Size 76.1%

Last edited by justwanderedin; 9th July 2009 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rogers View Post
we were contractually prevented from disclosing the name of the concert hall ... I don't know why,
I can guess why: prestige.

The Benaroya is not usually mentioned when people talk about the great halls of the world. That doesn't mean it isn't good (or bad), it's more of an old-school ranking that doesnt mean much.

The prestige halls of the world include:

Muzikverein, Vienna
Concertgebouw
Philharmonie (Berlin)
The new hall in Lucerne
Carnegie
Disney
etc.

Some halls, like the Sydney Opera, are known for their aesthetic but have a bad reputation for acoustics. Others, like the Krannert Center in Champaign Il, have great acoustics but aren't widely known because they don't have a prominent orchestra in town. Either way, it's more about perception of importance than sound. Orchestra Hall in Chicago sounded lousy until they re-did it in the 90s. The Philly Academy was a notoriously awful hall, so bad that the orchestra developed a lush sound to compensated for the acoustics.
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Great info guys.

On the topic of IR's, I was reading some threads about getting other reverbs to blend well with the EWQLSO samples and somebody recommended a the Great Hall 1.6sec space designer patch in Logic 7. I use Logic 8, and that patch doesn't show up.

does anyone know if they re-named it something else? Any other successful reverbs that you've used to blend everything together?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search