The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help, My G5 is choking
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Help, My G5 is choking

I have been having problems with my G5 dual 2.7, 3.5gigs ram. OS10.5.7
It crashes in a strange way, I hear a click type noise then the monitor, mouse and keyboard goes out for a few seconds, sometimes losing connection with external drives and control 24. If I wiggle the mouse it will come back to life.
It only seems to do it when I am encoding or converting large files such as long voice overs in pro tools to mp3, or movies in imovie, idvd, toast 10. It is very frusterating when it crashing like this 10 to 15 times like this to create a dvd.
A couple of times after crashing like this several times, It would not boot up. It was stuck on a grey screen, and there was a red light on inside the computer. After waiting about 30min I started it and it booted up fine. But the crashing problem continues.

Has anybody had this problem? Is it repairable?
Thanks for reading, any help?
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I should also say I tried repairing prefs. I even booted to a old 10.4 Tiger drive just to see. Same problem
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

If it is a liquid cooled G5, you better have it checked pronto. That could be causing the erratic behavior and if it you let it go, the cooling will leak out and into the power supply which will fry everything except your hard drives and maybe your memory. 2-3k worth of damage. I know this from first hand experience with the same machine. I'm pretty sure your machine is liquid cooled.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
If it is a liquid cooled G5, you better have it checked pronto. That could be causing the erratic behavior and if it you let it go, the cooling will leak out and into the power supply which will fry everything except your hard drives and maybe your memory. 2-3k worth of damage. I know this from first hand experience with the same machine. I'm pretty sure your machine is liquid cooled.

+1 agree

Apple replaced the processor,logic board and the liquid cooled power supply(I love Applecare!) this production run of Macs were severely flawed,unfortunately this is a very common event with these G5's.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

I do not know whats going on with your computer, but my word of advice to anybody hearing clicking or clicks from a computer (especially a hard drive) is BACK-UP IMPORTANT DATA IMMEDIATELY !!!!!! (cos that ships about to sink like the Titanic.)
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Not trying to be stupid here, but have you confirmed your Energy Saver preferences are correct?
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies,
I think this is the liquid cooled mac. Would I see liquid leaking inside the box? How can tell if that is the problem?
The clicking noise I am talking about sounds like the click when you power on your computer.
I have also repaired permissions several times and every time I do there is a huge list of repairs. If I do it again I get the same list. Almost like it is not repairing anything. Am I missing something?
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviated View Post
thanks for the replies,
i think this is the liquid cooled mac. Would i see liquid leaking inside the box? How can tell if that is the problem?
The clicking noise i am talking about sounds like the click when you power on your computer.
I have also repaired permissions several times and every time i do there is a huge list of repairs. If i do it again i get the same list. Almost like it is not repairing anything. Am i missing something?
I repeat ! If you have any important data on that drive BACK IT UP NOW !!!
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I have poked around online and found that this is one of the symptoms of possible coolant leak. They call it random sleep mode, even when you set to never sleep.
I hope it makes it thru a couple more days. I have some sessions that I have to finish. Then I will take it in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search