The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
punching in w/Logic and Ensemble latency?
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

punching in w/Logic and Ensemble latency?

Using an Ensemble and Logic 8 on an Imac g5...

Here is my problem, trying to see if anybody has a better workflow idea...

If I am recording vocals and I am monitoring from the Maestro software I have to keep the track muted in Logic (to avoid hearing the latent track). When punching in I need to hear the track during pre roll so I un-mute...then once I punch in I have to try and mute that track as fast as I can cause you hear the latent vocal otherwise...

Anybody know a better way to deal w/punch ins and have no latency and NOT have to jockey that mute button on/off all the time?

I know I could cut the part our first, or do it on another track, but that seems like too much hassle when doing vocals.

How do you guys w/Logic/Ensemble deal w/this?
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Addict

I punch in a new take on the original track. No muting required that way.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks, but I think you don't understand my question.

If I do that the second I punch in there is latency unless I mute the track in Logic.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Okay, I figured it out on my own...

I had to turn off software monitoring.

Longtime PT user...new to Logic.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Addict

I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

You may know this, but it helps me.
Under Preferences->Audio->Core Audio, there is an option to enable Independent Monitoring Level.

With this option, set the volume of your record enabled track to silence and you won't hear it while recording. Disable the record switch and the volume goes back to what you want for playback.

The advantage is you can send reverb to the performer (via sends) without getting the doubled effect from the dry signal.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjon View Post

The advantage is you can send reverb to the performer (via sends) without getting the doubled effect from the dry signal.
Nice one man, thanks. That will be great while tracking vocals to be able to hear some verbage. Thanks for the tip. I am loving Logic BTW. Still doing drum edits in PT, but all else in Logic.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

I've got a MacPro, Logic 8 and an Ensemble. I never use Maestro for monitoring. I just turn off all plugins and delay compensation, but still use the vocal reverb on an Aux with sends from the vocal tracks, and it works perfectly - no noticeable latency and perfect punches.
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjon View Post

You may know this, but it helps me.
Under Preferences->Audio->Core Audio, there is an option to enable Independent Monitoring Level.

With this option, set the volume of your record enabled track to silence and you won't hear it while recording. Disable the record switch and the volume goes back to what you want for playback.

Yes, but the problem I have doing this is the record enabled volume changes when you first record enable, NOT when you actually hit record to punch in. This makes no sense to me. It seems like the volume should change when you hit record, not when you enable. Then you can't hear the original track?

What am I doing wrong?

Also, regarding the last post, if there are no plugins on your tracks anyways, what difference does it make to turn off automatic delay compensation?

Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk sanchez View Post
Okay, I figured it out on my own...

I had to turn off software monitoring.

Longtime PT user...new to Logic.
If you disable software monitoring you won't be able to use any plug-ins like EQ and compression that you might need. Just turn it on. Go to the options menu and select audio. Check the auto input monitoring there and be sure to have punch on the fly on too. Of course you can use the maestro but again you won't be able to use plug-ins.
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

So you have software monitoring off and auto punch in on?

I'll try that. I never turn that off because I usually have the volume down on the record enabled track and a prefader aux feeding a reverb.
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I just turn off all plugins and delay compensation, but still use the vocal reverb on an Aux with sends from the vocal tracks, and it works perfectly - no noticeable latency and perfect punches.
I'm still curious about this. If I don't use maestro and just drop the buffers (which I do often) even if you are not using plugins does turning off the delay compensation help further reduce latency somehow?
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

No it doesn't. What it does is create a lot of problems when you start adding plug-ins. To reduce latency you need to reduce the I/O buffer and not use high latency plug-ins as Logic will delay tracks so they all play aligned. You can also choose a minimum latency on the audio preferences and only activate that when you record. That will deactivate all plug-ins with latency higher than what you set. You can deactivate that feature when you're not recording.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search