The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ Not Compatible with Pro Tools 8???
Old 5th July 2009
Here for the gear

Exclamation AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ Not Compatible with Pro Tools 8???

OH man did I just come across some terryfing news. I was doing a PC compatability check over at digidesign, and it said that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor may not be compatible with Pro Tools 8. Dammit. My protools 8 is coming tommorow and im hoping it'll work.

Does anybody here run a amd athlon 64 x2 dual-core and use pro tools 8? Does it work?

Here's what digidesign says.

AMD Desktop Processors
The AMD processors listed below were used by Beta Sites during Pro Tools 8.0 development. They were not tested by Digidesign Engineering but are considered compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0 for Windows:
AMD Athlon™ 64
AMD Athlon™ 64 FX
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
AMD Opteron™

Notes:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core requires the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer
Pro Tools 8 uses certain SSE instructions for drawing and other performance critical code. We have found that some older models of AMD chips from the Athlon 64 X2 (Athlon X2, AMD K9) family do not support specific SSE instructions used by Pro Tools, even though they claim to be SSE compliant. On these AMD computers, Pro Tools 8 will not launch. Unfortunately, this issue is not something we think can be fixed on our end, given the amount of custom recoding and testing that would be required. Current AMD chips and those manufactured in the last few years do support these SSE instructions.
Although not tested, there have been reports of incompatibility from some users with Pro Tools and motherboards with the NVIDIA nForce 405, nForce 410, and nForce 430 graphics chipsets:
NVIDEA Motherboard GPU Technical Specifications

P.S. I did download and install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

Last edited by ISOFFICIAL; 5th July 2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

i run a amd dual, but not pt.
what i feel you should do is install pt8 and just see if you run into problems.
you might not..you dont know untill you try.
but dont despair...its not the end of the world.
there are many other daw options .
i dont want to force what i use on you...but should you get stuck...
and you get probs with pt8...
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits
many pt users use it also. try it..you might like it.
i run it on my dual amd.
if you doubt me talk to users on the reaper forums at the link who also use pt.
its a couple of minutes download n install.
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the respnse manning. I've used reaper before but I'm more comfortable with using pro tools. But I'm hoping my system is compatible lol.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Is this AMD 64x2 processor compatible w/ PTLE8? - Digi User ConferenceDespite Digidesigns stringent specs, you may be alright in the end.Just install and try it out.

Reaper is not all that, anyways.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

PT 8 has issues with several AMD/ATI chipsets.
it is by no means ALL of them however.

Scott
ADK
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear
I'm running M-Powered 7.4 on a DC Opteron here no problems. I'm not sure what the difference would be with vers. 8.0, but I learned a while ago not to listen to digidesign when it comes to PC hardware because their usually wrong more times than their right.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOFFICIAL View Post
Pro Tools 8 uses certain SSE instructions for drawing and other performance critical code. We have found that some older models of AMD chips from the Athlon 64 X2 (Athlon X2, AMD K9) family do not support specific SSE instructions used by Pro Tools, even though they claim to be SSE compliant. On these AMD computers, Pro Tools 8 will not launch.
This is where Digidesign is full of ****(what else is new?). All Amd procs from the 64 X2's on support full SSE. Only the older XP chips lacked SSE 2 early on.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Alot of what worked with 7.4 does NOT work with 8!
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOFFICIAL View Post
OH man did I just come across some terryfing news. I was doing a PC compatability check over at digidesign, and it said that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor may not be compatible with Pro Tools 8. Dammit. My protools 8 is coming tommorow and im hoping it'll work.

Does anybody here run a amd athlon 64 x2 dual-core and use pro tools 8? Does it work?
Dude ur good. I have just that (2.7 Ghz) and pro tools 8 runs fine with windows xp. Just make sure u get the dual core optimizer.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoldKeys View Post
Dude ur good. I have just that (2.7 Ghz) and pro tools 8 runs fine with windows xp. Just make sure u get the dual core optimizer.
its not the processr its the motherboard chipset that matters
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Using an AMD Athlon 64x2 3800 here with no issues. It's on an Asus A8V motherboard which I believe uses a Via 880pro chipset (could be wrong about the chipset).
Old 8th July 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input guys.

Well it turns out Pro Tools 8 does work on my computer. It's my second day, and I made a full beat, but did have a few buggers.

In my wrapped plugins (wrapped with the vst to rtas) some seem to be faulty.

For instance, if i try to turn any knobs in Vanguard, pro tools sends an error log and has to shut down, and then i have to reboot my comp for pro tools to start again.

Another is the pure virtual function call thing i get.. It seems to be pretty buggy, but when it works, its reallly good.
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Using an AMD Athlon 64x2 3800 here with no issues. It's on an Asus A8V motherboard which I believe uses a Via 880pro chipset (could be wrong about the chipset).
That's great to know. I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on PT8 because of the SSE 2 issues with some AMD processors. I thought mine would be okay but it's good to know you've got the exact same set up (the only difference is I've got the opteron version of your processor).

Glad I stumbled across this thread....
Old 9th July 2009
Here for the gear

I have a desktop with xp pro sp3 that ive been using with le for three years now.

I have the amd 64 x2 dual core

PT works, just not the most stable.

Dont get me wrong, its not the worst, but definately not rock solid.

Nevertheless i have mixed tons of things on it....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search