The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DP vs Pro Tools
Old 5th July 2009
Here for the gear

DP vs Pro Tools

My first post, be gentle...

I've been using DP5 for a while now and am building a new studio in my home. I'm thinking of investing in a pro tools HD rig so I can bring in other engineers and be more compatible with the rest of the world. I use my place as mostly a writing studio but would like to track and send off the trax to be mixed etc... Is it worth it to migrate to ProTools or just stick with DP5 and figure out the best ways to share from that format?
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
My first post, be gentle...

I've been using DP5 for a while now and am building a new studio in my home. I'm thinking of investing in a pro tools HD rig so I can bring in other engineers and be more compatible with the rest of the world. I use my place as mostly a writing studio but would like to track and send off the trax to be mixed etc... Is it worth it to migrate to ProTools or just stick with DP5 and figure out the best ways to share from that format?
First, this is the wrong forum for your question. If you do a search in the "music computers" forum of GS, you'll find a HUGE amount of posts that apply very specifically to your questions.

To answer your question more directly - I use PTHD and DP5.1.3 also. There is no comparison IMO. PT all the way. Both from a work flow standpoint, visual (my eyes are REALLY starting to not like DP) and especially sonically.

Go to a studio that's running both. Bring up a mix in DP, no plug-ins, no verb, no automation, no nothing. Listen carefully. Save as an OMF. Immediately open the OMF in PTHD. Listen. That's all you'll need. You'll be switching over very soon after that.

Cheers,

bp
Old 6th July 2009
I don't think it really matters which one is best for you.
There's no doubt PT will be easier for a lot of engineers to get their heads around (rightly or wrongly).
I now know quite a few people who are using more than one DAW, one of which is usually Pro Tools.
Old 6th July 2009
Welcome -

it depends on your goal - if you want to have a more compatible environment that's open to pretty much all engineers, the PTHD all the way.

If your studio is a writing studio, and you can deliver stems, sub mixes, and/or OMF's than there's no reason to switch from the format you are comfortable in.

A lot of guys I know are using Logic on Laptops or home machines, and then exporting stems to prep for real studio work. The logic rig is the midi/writing set up - but when talent is coming in for the real work, it's always in PTHD.

One set of writers/producers I work with here in LA has identical signal chains in all three of their personal writing studios. All three have PTHD w/ Apogee converters, a Manley Vox Box and a Blue Bottle. All also have a writing room and vocal room. Not much other tracking is going on that is not either midi, vocals or scratch guitars (I say scratch because the parts are tracked via a POD or some Amp Sim Plug In).

My writing room/studio is primarily on Sonar/PC which I love and has amazing automated exporting options for mono or stereo tracks, with or without track or buss effects. It also has OMF export.

On the other side of the room is a Mac Pro Tower with Logic 8 and PTLE 7.4.2 w/ digitranslator. Little known fact is that even though PTLE is limited to 32 tracks, you and open and export an HD session as OMF which I often do.

So my bases are covered for most compatibilty issues.

I hope that helps.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

DUuuuuuuuude

Listen to Bill!! he knows what he is talking about, I was hard pressed and it took a lot of reading, but visually and sonically protools HD blows DP away and I have been using DP for 4 years now. Listening even to an imported file in DP sounds like garbage to me compared to when I listen in HD...... Sad but true! get an HD rig and dont look back!!!
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

DP can be used on HD too. No need to choose! Use both!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search