The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic 8 effects are distorting.
Old 4th July 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

Logic 8 effects are distorting.

Why would all my logic 8 effects distort like crazy when I select them..... but when I reset the channel strip with no effects, I get nice clean audio?
They sound like a crinkly sizzle.

Apogee Ensemble
MBP 3.06ghtz
4 gb
Old 4th July 2009
  #2
16942
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazwood View Post
Why would all my logic 8 effects distort like crazy when I select them..... but when I reset the channel strip with no effects, I get nice clean audio?
They sound like a crinkly sizzle.

Apogee Ensemble
MBP 3.06ghtz
4 gb
My guess is you are over-taxing your CPU. Try lowering the buffer size of your audio driver.
Old 4th July 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
KFMG's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
My guess is you are over-taxing your CPU. Try lowering the buffer size of your audio driver.
I agree with Jay however, I am also wondering about your gain staging. Is it possible that you're recording too hot, thus over-loading the inputs of your effects?
Old 4th July 2009
  #4
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

I think you nailed it.
Seems like I should be able to pick any buffer and sampling rate I want. I mean I did just paid $2800 for this souped up Mac.....oh, you mean it don't work that way?
Old 4th July 2009
  #5
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
I agree with Jay however, I am also wondering about your gain staging. Is it possible that you're recording too hot, thus over-loading the inputs of your effects?

I wasn't actually recording..... just monitoring. ( I use this set up for live performance.)
Old 4th July 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazwood View Post
I wasn't actually recording..... just monitoring. ( I use this set up for live performance.)
KFMG's statement would still apply if the audio you're playing is gained too high. Most LP8's presets are sadly very aggressive and over exaggerated, presumably to impress people who don't know or care to know better.
Old 4th July 2009
  #7
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

When I changed the buffer to a higher number the distortion went away.
If I installed more ram, could I decrease my buffer sizes?
Old 4th July 2009
  #8
16942
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazwood View Post
When I changed the buffer to a higher number the distortion went away.
If I installed more ram, could I decrease my buffer sizes?
No RAM, has no effect on that. It is strictly a matter of CPU. What do you see in the System Performance Meter?
Old 4th July 2009
  #9
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

It barely moves. (the meter)
I should think a 3.06 duel core would be fast enough to monitor 4 tracks with various effects at a 32 buffer size.

Maybe not.

I think I have the buffer set to the largest number. (something over a thousand)
Old 4th July 2009
  #10
16942
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazwood View Post
It barely moves. (the meter)
I should think a 3.06 duel core would be fast enough to monitor 4 tracks with various effects at a 32 buffer size.

Maybe not.

I think I have the buffer set to the largest number. (something over a thousand)
It should be. Something is wrong if you have to set the buffer that high. If you want to email me the project, do so and I will have a look.

[email protected]
Old 4th July 2009
  #11
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
It should be. Something is wrong if you have to set the buffer that high. If you want to email me the project, do so and I will have a look.

[email protected]
I appreciate the offer, however, I don't use the program to actually record anything, yet....... I'm using logic as a live mixing station for my live performances.
I use a laptop and an interface and a DAW to replace my board and effects racks.
So I wouldn't know what to Email.
Old 4th July 2009
  #12
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

Maybe this problem is related. If I try to record to external usb2/400 firewire/esata in the express card slot......when I hit the record button, I get the spinning beach ball for at least 2 or three minuets then it records fine.
Old 5th July 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
SKyflash34's Avatar
 

Though it seems your setup should handle it, you might have to increase your buffer to 64 or 128.
Old 5th July 2009
  #14
Gear Addict
 
chazwood's Avatar
 

I solved the external HD problem by erasing the ms-dos configuration and setting it up in apple partition. (Hey, I just bought it today)
The buffer in logic seems happy around 128 but it's hard to tell sometimes, because every time you exit the program, or, if you change something, you gotta go thru this start up ritual or the Apogee pops and sizzles like bacon on a hot griddle.
I think it loses it's driver info and gets ********. I can't seem to get Maestro to quit opening on start up no matter how many times I unchecked the box's in preferences.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump