The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressor plugins. Wanna see your opinions
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Compressor plugins. Wanna see your opinions

Hi guys!
I am a PT TDM user here in Brazil. I would like to see some opinions of yours considering the following compressor plugs for PT 5.x.x TDM. Mix systems under OS 9.2. For which applications have you guys found them more suitable?

a) Drawmer dynamics
b) Joe Meek SC2
c) Compressor Bank mcDSP
d) BF LA 2A
e) Fairchild 660
f) BG 1176
g) Waves C1
h) Waves Renass. model(s)

I myself enjoy the Joe Meek for bass, vocals. I am not a big fan of C1. Although not listed here, sometimes some multiband compressors help do the job ( C4, TC MAster X).

the applications I would list:
electric guitar, bass, female vocals, male vocals, kick, snare, toms, violin/cello, drums submixes, acoustic guitar.

Hope to hear it from ya
Thanks for teh attention

Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

I like and use the BF LA2 and 1176 a lot. I also have access to the comp bank and waves stuff, but when I've got the 1176 and la2's right there, I just don't bother. Although a lot of guys at work love the compressor bank stuff, they have gotten some kick ass sounds with them. Oh yeah, the waves deesser kicks ass too.

ian
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

thanks friend. but in which applications were you able to achieve better results?
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

The Sony Comp's quite nice as well.

Just download all the demos when you have a spare few days and try this against this for each type of sound..

Act the moment apart from outboard I use the Sonys for most things.. I have the Mcdsp stuff as well.
I find the Sonys a little more neutral for me and I get a lot of color from mic pres and mics to start with. I also have a Fatso, ISA430 and 1969 for outboard color..

It really depends if you want the color form the plugin or the compression or a little of both.... Comp bank is cool alrounder though.
Old 30th April 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

McDSP Compressorbank is my "go to" comp plug-in... there's usually something there to cover my needs and the filter features are excellent.

Drawmer Dynamics is useful for crusty stuff. BF LA2 seems to occassionally work on stuff when nothing else seems to (!?) - to my ears, these "vintage models" just don't have the weight of the hardware units for lead tracks, but can be useful for backing tracks (sad fact is, I can't afford twelve 1176's, so it's a happy compromise!). Rencomp seems a bit "gloopy" for me, but it's good to have available.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Many thanks guys!
Please, keep coming with your nice opinions!

Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

anyone else?
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Addict

Love the BF stuff, even though haven't used the LA-2 much, I'm lovin the 1176 on some really intimate, breathy vocals I'm working on right now.

On the same track I'm also using the Waves C1 on a cello for a similar effect, but I've noticed that it seems to be better at making it a little more "present" while still keeping the dynamics usefull.

Not much help for PT users, but when I mix in Nuendo, I'm REALLY digging the Antares TUBE and the Anwida compressor for really "mooshy" stuff, if ya get what I mean.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

thanks for your answer!
BTW.. I have never worked with Nuendo.
Nice friday
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Addict

I've actually been rediscovering the Waves C1 recently. It really has a lot of options if you play around with it and some of the presets. I've used it on some vox and spoken word type things recently. The BF Fairchild has some personality, although I never seem to use release settings above 3 - they are soooo slow...

The one thing I never can seem to make work with a plugin comp (to my ears) is snare compression - I always run that out to hardware.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

The 02R compressors are weak to reasonable for mixing and awful for tracking. That is why I am evaluating most compresor plugs available for PT TDM.
Joe Meek seems good at bass guitar. I did not like C1.
The multiband stuff like C4, MC2000 ( I do not have it) and TC Master X are quite good but here at this post I am trying to get info considering stero/mono ordinary models.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

Mc Dsp for me by far. (we own the bomb, Ren , Drawmer and a couple others as well)

I'd like to try the Sony.
Old 2nd May 2003
Here for the gear

1. Drawmer Dynamics-gate is great for kicks and snares -creating even more tight sound
2. Compressor bank- once i ran a high hat through that by accident, was surrissed by results with auto on attack/realese
3.LA-2A is good for punch on a kik also great on vocals.
4. In old day 1176 great on bass i haven't had any luck with a plugin
5. Love Renaissance Comp. expander feature from bass to snares it adds something great.

Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

I'm not necessarily recommending this, as there are probably a lot of reasons why it's a bad idea, but:

one time (in Pro Tools) I accidentally duplicated all my drum tracks (so that there was two of every track). All of them were being routed to a stereo aux return that had a Ren Comp on it set to the "fat opto mastering" preset with the threshold down around -18dB and some make-up gain. Wow! Did it sound super-slammin'!

Of course, there were all kinds of red lights/clipping going on everywhere, but if you just ignored all that, closed your eys, and listened............ whew!

I tried to get that same sound "playing by the rules", but finally just gave up and left it alone. (In these "accidental" situations, be prepared to modestly nod and smile when you are told what a brilliant job you did bringing the drums to life...)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear