The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LOGIC7,,does it sound better,,??????
Old 20th August 2005
Here for the gear

LOGIC7,,does it sound better,,??????

HI ,
i have a pc with cubase3,nuendo3 and sonar4 installed on it,and i have a g5 with logic7 express,i recorded the same thing(sample and some vox),on all of them ,,i noticed a better sound through logic,my ears are not total picky,but they are pretty acurate,,and the difference was very noticeable ,,CAN A DAW actually have a sound difference can someone please answer this ,,i feel by the difference of sound others would have encountered this phenomena,,if i feel others have encountered this i might switch to logic,,not because others say,but that could help me make a decision i am about to make,,I am SWITCHING TO LOGIC,,because its all about the sound i guess,

btw,,converters,and all other hardware was the same
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, I'll get jumped all over for this, but maybe the Mac just sounds better than the PC. The only reason I say this is because I actually did read something recently stating that Windows has a strange way of handling denormalization.

Okay, let's brawl PC phreaks!
Old 20th August 2005
The problem called "denormaliztion" -- as I understand it -- is more related to plug ins created by people who did not fully understand how FPU works... It involved the superficially apparent paradox that confronts a plug in when the input for the plug drops near minus infinity (silence)... if the plug is not designed correctly, it can force the FPU to crunch tinier and tiner numbers (which require greater and greater numeric precision to operate on), potentially creating a spiking use of the FPU, which can rob other processes.

As I understand it, any FPU system (including that of the Mac) is subject to such issues. The Mac's PPC chip is, however, a strong FPU performer, which may account for this not having been the issue for Mac users that some PC users have in the past complained about. (There may well be other issues that keep the Mac more free of denormalization usage spikes. This is very much not my field of expertise.)

That said, it's my superficial understanding from a quick look around that many plug developers have addressed these issues (if one searches on denormalization as I recently did, one finds many mentions in plug revision lists). There are also "denormalization" plugs that apparently can be used with non-optimized plug ins to prevent them from chewing up smaller and smaller numbers and causing usage spikes.

As I said, this isn't my field of expertise, so if anyone has corrections or simply more info on the process/problem, I'm all ears.

With regard to whether or not Logic sounds better, I simply don't have any experience, there. I believe Logic has its own plug system but has been extended in 7 to also use AU plugs. Perhaps its plug handling is better. But, as I recall, it uses 32 bit floating point summing as do most of the other mainstream sequencer/DAWs. So, there's room to argue about where such a putative improvement in audio quality might come from.

It's an interesting issue.

Were you able to make a rigorous comparison, using the same tracks, same levels, panning laws, etc? Or is this just kind of an impression? (And nothing wrong with that, per se. A casual observation is often the motivation for subsequent, well thought out scientific measurement.)
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ugh, sounds like more crappy "digital math anomalies" from the Digital Math Scoundrels. Sounds like they are trying patch the math bugs and put a bag over the errors.

If these bastard Digital Math Scoundrels did it right to begin with, no one would be having these problems.
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Good info theblue1.

And JB has a new catch phrase!

Old 20th August 2005

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search