The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
real quick Logic question
Old 2nd July 2009
real quick Logic question

This is really just me asking for opinions from those experienced in Logic.

I'm a protools guy, but just got the new Macbook Pro and it's wicked fast and I think I should put Logic on there. I keep hearing from other songwriters that it's just great for that (and I could still use Pro Tools at home). Being as I just got the laptop, I'm a bit light on expendable cash, but I could afford Logic Express. Now, that won't work with my MBox, will it? I'll have to get a Duet or something, too, right? Or should I get a keyboard that also has an input? In your opinion, would I be better off waiting until I have the crinkle for Logic Pro or is Express a good way to dip my feet in and then maybe upgrade when Logic 9 comes out (which, in my experience, will be greatly hastened by me purchasing 8. There's definitely a correlation between when I buy an Apple product and how quickly they introduce something faster and cheaper).

Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2009
Come on, I know somebody has an opinion on this. Just looking for a little advice.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Nut

I believe you can use iLogic with your MBox. I am not completely sure, though, I discovered early that iLogic was not for me, and at the time I had several interfaces I tried, one was an MBox and I don't remember that iLogic couldn't be used with any of them.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Just get logic 8. Express won't really do much or you. Should work with your M Box also works without hardware...your headphone output on your lap.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

any interface should work .You definitely don't have to get a Duet ...if you only need 1 input (for mobile or whatever ) The new Apogee "ONE" is $250.

Also you don't need Logic Studio if you just want Logic 8 for now.Logic Express is the exact same program that's in Logic Studio with some things left out (some plugs VI's and programs).The program itself is not disabled like Logic7 Express was.For $199 you can get Logic 8....and of course can upgrade if and when you are ready.

So you can get an interface (One) that probably can't be beat at that price point and Logic 8 for about $450 before tax....your x call.

BP
Old 4th July 2009
I guess I don't really understand the different versions. Is Logic Express solely version 7 or something? I've been checking out a lot of web info and maybe I got it all muddled in my brain.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom View Post
I guess I don't really understand the different versions. Is Logic Express solely version 7 or something? I've been checking out a lot of web info and maybe I got it all muddled in my brain.
No Logic 8 Express is Logic 8 Pro .Logic 7(Express and Pro)are completely different.When Logic was still in version 7..... Logic 7 Express had many disabled functions from Logic 7 Pro.

Now Logic 8 Express is the EXACT same app that is in Logic Studio with the below missing.Both apps are called Logic 8 Pro......Logic Studio also includes other programs. whew!!! here's the difference

Functions:
- Support for high-end control surfaces (Euphonix, SmartAV)
- DAE/TDM support
- DAP (distributed audio processing with Logic Node)
- Surround

VI's:
- EVP88
- EVB3
- EVD6
- Sculpture

FX Plugs:
- Space Designer
- Delay Designer
- Linear Phase EQ
- Match EQ
- Multipressor (there is only the 'Preset Multipressor' as in LE7)
- AdLimiter
- Multimeter
Old 4th July 2009
Tui
Gear Guru

The biggest functional difference used to be that the sampler in Express was playback only. And routing wasn't anywhere near as flexible...
Old 4th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom View Post
Now, that won't work with my MBox, will it?

Thanks.
Logic and a Macbook work fine with mBox.....you just have to go to the Digi site and download the CoreAudio drivers for your mBox........
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiePo View Post
Logic and a Macbook work fine with mBox.....you just have to go to the Digi site and download the CoreAudio drivers for your mBox........
Well, kinda. Digi core audio drivers in my experience are pretty crappy.

Express should be fine for writing songs. The mbox is supposed to work, but until you try it, you wont know what kind of performance you're looking at. If you are unimpressed with the logic/mbox combo, you can just use the built in audio on your computer until you can get a duet or something.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search