The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
recording to disk in high spl environment
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Head

recording to disk in high spl environment

My band is your typical loud rock band. I've been using my laptop to record at our practices, but due to the sound vibrating the hard drive, Logic gives a "drive too slow" error and bails. So to get reliable recording we turn down the amps, and make the drummer play softer... but that's no fun!

Anyways I've tried an external drive (still bails) and a USB stick (too slow), bs like pillows, etc. I can't put the drive outside the room because its just a little ghetto practice space. What should I do?
Old 2nd July 2009
SSD disk maybe? put the computer/drive on anti-vibration mountings?
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
SSD disk maybe? put the computer/drive on anti-vibration mountings?
Funny I just bought a shockmount rack case for my guitar rig... maybe I could try racking the hard drive also.

I'm a bit worried about SSD after reading this thread:SSD as main drive in notebook - no more ext. recording drive necessary?
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

If your typical laptop the internal HD is only 5400 RPM and that is too slow. Also are you recording to your internal drive if so that is another problem. Get an external drive for your audio files and make sure its at least 7200 RPM.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post
If your typical laptop the internal HD is only 5400 RPM and that is too slow. Also are you recording to your internal drive if so that is another problem. Get an external drive for your audio files and make sure its at least 7200 RPM.
My external that I mentioned earlier is 7200RPM.
Old 2nd July 2009
Finally... something sensible to do with Mopads!

heh

[J/K. I use mouse pads instead of designer foam, but I'm in the decouple camp.]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search