The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A Letter To Music Software Developers
Old 18th July 2009
  #121
Lives for gear
 
chrisrnps's Avatar
 



The Student, preparing for his journey, gathered his robe, his pack, and his staff, and began to walk slowly toward the monastery gate.

Suddenly, an Elder deftly grabbed his staff and held it up, turning it slowly in his hands for the Student to see.

"If you call this a staff," the Elder said, "you deny its eternal life. If you do not call this a staff, you deny its present fact. Tell me, just what do you propose to call it?"

The Student stood in silence, head bowed, as he had no answer.

"Do not return from the Great Mountain until you have received the fullness of its wisdom. Go forth not to seek the answer, but in the knowledge that you will have the answer when your journey is truly completed."

Years later, the Elder was called to the gate to receive a visitor.

"I was told the Student would be returning today," said the Elder. "You go by the same name, yet I can see you are a Master. What has happened to the Student?"

"How does an enlightened one return to the ordinary world?" the Master replied. "A broken mirror never reflects again; fallen flowers never go back to the old branches."

"Forgive me, Master," said the Elder. "Please, what did you learn from your time on the Great Mountain?"

"Have a cup of tea," the Master replied, "and I shall tell you."



So, instead of having a... channel strip, I would like to play with a channel where you can position the sound.

§

And they give us, the end users, the total control over it. [...] I do not want ‘total control’, I want some ready-made good-sounding snares! [...] Sculpting snare sound is of paramount importance in modern pop music.

§

[The] [c]oncept of a drum kit in a DAW domain is not related to a physical drum kit...

§

It is not obvious to a beginner to worry about width, although it is essential to use it to not get mushy results.

§

Subgrouping is a way, yes. But it is just one way.

§

Subgrouping is a concept of [the] analog domain. We are in another domain. Subgrouping is not important here. It is just a method.

§

I do not know how you define creating, but in my book it has nothing to do with getting the job done.

§

How do you define creativity?

§

Large parts of mixing is quantifiable and many "chain of actions" when mixing could easily be put into one event...

§

Someone said 'The Studio' is an instrument. It is not. It is a pile of junk that you have no control over whatsoever.

§

Learning by doing vs. learning by searching the obvious, suffering and getting frustrated? Which would you choose?

§

You could at least try to access your ignorance. What was it like when you started out? Was everything clear to you?

§

[O]ne unit of work equals to changing a value of some single atomic attribute.

§

[T]here are endless resources available for learning the metaphor.

§

[B]usses are not... important. It is the sound (and the ways how to combine them) that is important.

§

The idea is to be able to store and retrieve these units of work; to share them and to even buy them - and to learn from them.

§

A couple of weeks ago I decided to paint the walls of my study. I had a vision of the hue, but I could not describe it nor give it a name.

§

I do not hate audio processing. I hate processing audio.

§

There is no bus. I can not even see it!!


Old 18th July 2009
  #122
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 

Cool post Chris. Dig the fish.

Sky
Old 18th July 2009
  #123
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrnps View Post


The Student, preparing for his journey, gathered his robe, his pack, and his staff, and began to walk slowly toward the monastery gate.

Suddenly, an Elder deftly grabbed his staff and held it up, turning it slowly in his hands for the Student to see.

"If you call this a staff," the Elder said, "you deny its eternal life. If you do not call this a staff, you deny its present fact. Tell me, just what do you propose to call it?"

The Student stood in silence, head bowed, as he had no answer.

"Do not return from the Great Mountain until you have received the fullness of its wisdom. Go forth not to seek the answer, but in the knowledge that you will have the answer when your journey is truly completed."

Years later, the Elder was called to the gate to receive a visitor.

"I was told the Student would be returning today," said the Elder. "You go by the same name, yet I can see you are a Master. What has happened to the Student?"

"How does an enlightened one return to the ordinary world?" the Master replied. "A broken mirror never reflects again; fallen flowers never go back to the old branches."

"Forgive me, Master," said the Elder. "Please, what did you learn from your time on the Great Mountain?"

"Have a cup of tea," the Master replied, "and I shall tell you."



So, instead of having a... channel strip, I would like to play with a channel where you can position the sound.

§

And they give us, the end users, the total control over it. [...] I do not want ‘total control’, I want some ready-made good-sounding snares! [...] Sculpting snare sound is of paramount importance in modern pop music.

§

[The] [c]oncept of a drum kit in a DAW domain is not related to a physical drum kit...

§

It is not obvious to a beginner to worry about width, although it is essential to use it to not get mushy results.

§

Subgrouping is a way, yes. But it is just one way.

§

Subgrouping is a concept of [the] analog domain. We are in another domain. Subgrouping is not important here. It is just a method.

§

I do not know how you define creating, but in my book it has nothing to do with getting the job done.

§

How do you define creativity?

§

Large parts of mixing is quantifiable and many "chain of actions" when mixing could easily be put into one event...

§

Someone said 'The Studio' is an instrument. It is not. It is a pile of junk that you have no control over whatsoever.

§

Learning by doing vs. learning by searching the obvious, suffering and getting frustrated? Which would you choose?

§

You could at least try to access your ignorance. What was it like when you started out? Was everything clear to you?

§

[O]ne unit of work equals to changing a value of some single atomic attribute.

§

[T]here are endless resources available for learning the metaphor.

§

[B]usses are not... important. It is the sound (and the ways how to combine them) that is important.

§

The idea is to be able to store and retrieve these units of work; to share them and to even buy them - and to learn from them.

§

A couple of weeks ago I decided to paint the walls of my study. I had a vision of the hue, but I could not describe it nor give it a name.

§

I do not hate audio processing. I hate processing audio.

§

There is no bus. I can not even see it!!


Liking the fish dude! Lovely graphics

And as a man much wiser then me once said
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
Old 19th July 2009
  #124
Gear Nut
 
waveheavy's Avatar
 

I get what the original poster is saying, it's mostly about ergonomics of the software verses tradition. For fine tweaking adjustments I depend on my keyboard's up/down arrows instead of the mouse, and it bothers me when a plugin or DAW developer forgot to add that function.

It does seem silly in a way, when developers design this nice looking vintage control layout, and you wind up using keyboard up/down arrows to control it. Recording automation moves is also difficult with a mouse.

Guess they figured if someone is that serious about fine audio adjustments, they can always get an outboard mix controller, an interface the software developers went to a lot of pains to write.

I think Sonar has one of the most user-friendly interfaces, though it still adhered to some audio traditions like other DAW's. They used drop down text boxes a lot, even for the I/O assignments, which I like much better than the Pro Tools software I/O.
Old 20th July 2009
  #125
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveheavy View Post
it's mostly about ergonomics of the software verses tradition.
Yes. And with software it is possible to broaden the concept of ergonomy to include parts of the mixing process itself, because there's no necessity to stick with the traditional way of doing things.

I have not tried to invalidate mixing as a skill. It may be an art form, but it is also a lot of bulk work. Where are the tools that help with the mixing process? The reuse factor of the work that generates a mix barely exist.
Old 20th July 2009
  #126
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom View Post
Yes. And with software it is possible to broaden the concept of ergonomy to include parts of the mixing process itself, because there's no necessity to stick with the traditional way of doing things.

I have not tried to invalidate mixing as a skill. It may be an art form, but it is also a lot of bulk work. Where are the tools that help with the mixing process? The reuse factor of the work that generates a mix barely exist.
You've raised a good point actually. Why shouldn't traditional recording methods be adapted to the computer, rather than the computer trying to emulate tradition?

I recall a studio photo submitted by someone here, where his mixing position looks something like the bridge of the USS Enterprise. Nothing but space and surround monitors, no mixing desk in sight, and a comfy armchair in the middle loaded with remotes and gestural gadgets.

It's definitely worth exploring, flames and all.

Sky
Old 20th July 2009
  #127
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
You've raised a good point actually. Why shouldn't traditional recording methods be adapted to the computer, rather than the computer trying to emulate tradition?
Sky
I did not raise that point. Why don't you create your own thread and discuss about that there? I'm sure many peeps will find it most interesting.
Old 20th July 2009
  #128
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom View Post
I did not raise that point. Why don't you create your own thread and discuss about that there? I'm sure many peeps will find it most interesting.
I think you did - voluntary or involuntary
Old 21st July 2009
  #129
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom View Post
I did not raise that point. Why don't you create your own thread and discuss about that there? I'm sure many peeps will find it most interesting.
Yes, actually you did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom View Post
And with software it is possible to broaden the concept of ergonomy to include parts of the mixing process itself, because there's no necessity to stick with the traditional way of doing things.
How else is someone supposed to interpret that statement?

Sky
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump