The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic Audio Editing Vs. ProTools Editing
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Logic Audio Editing Vs. ProTools Editing

Ok, first off this isn't a PT vs. Logic War. We all know that PT has some better audio editing capabilites. Smart Tool...need I say more? I'm creating this thread for any one who has used both and can give some tips & input on how I can become better at audio editing in Logic coming from a protools background. Or if you're just a good editor in Logic feel free to share, you don't neccessarily need to have a PT background. I'll start first w/a feature in logic that pisses me off, and maybe someone can show me around it.

Layers: this drives me nuts. If you copy a region and paste it on another region, the old region stays underneath, and sometimes pops over your edit. WTF!!! this is so stupid, is there anyway to turn off layers? I always end up having to first cut out the undesired part, then copy the desired loop and fill the gap. Other than that I've just noticed weired glitches, for instance when editing 2 or more tracks simaltaneously I highlighted a region w/marquee and hit delete, then all that did was split 1 of the highighted regions WTF again!! It was only happening like that randomly.

Lastly is there a way to group your tracks (like in PT) so that when you are editing in arrange, you can edit all of your existing tracks w/out having to keep working vertically w/the marquee? This bugs me a lot. If you group your tracks on the mixer page it only keeps them grouped there. Or it would be nice to have an ALL button in arrange which would allow you to edit everything at once.

One more actually, I know I'm going off here. In PT the default quick keys A and S will trim your clip. A trims the head of your clip & S trims the tail. Does anyone know if there's a function in Logic to do this? Right now I first split the region using \ then hit delete. I'd like to do this in one step.

This can be a very helpful thread to a lot of people if we can get some good answers. Let's keep it going. While you're at it feel free to vent out some complaints to see if we can answer all of each others questions. This thread is all about learning new techniques, not a logic PT war. I'm using the Protools editing as an example of how I like working, that's all.
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Ok, maybe I sould have titled this thread differently. You guys might get the wrong idea
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Nut

I always end up frustrated editing audio in Logic and exporting the tracks to tools.
I so hope the next version of Logic improves audio editing, I really like other things about it. I just bought a 2626 to replace a 002 cause the bang for buck and audio quality is so much more than Digi and want to move my whole workflow to Logic but just can't edit efficiently. I know I haven't answered any of your questions but I seriously can't make any case for editing in Logic. I hope there are those than can offer some help cause I could use it too.
Old 30th June 2009
urumita

My experience with logic stops at 3.5
At the time I was using it as a midi sequencer and notater (score) and moving the midi files to PT
Pt's midi became usable and I then would use Logic for Notation only
I'm very interested in this as I have about 60 pieces in Logic that I tried moving to Finale and they don't get imported with the tempo and Time sig changes and are unreadable.
I will be switching back to Logic as a score program and a writing device, as I'd like to use an all in one solution, I'm curious about Logic 8's editing capabilities, I'm a real wiz with PT 6.9.1cs2 on OSX 10.3.9
Any Logic wiz that could chime in would be appreciated
Old 30th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcw View Post
Ok, first off this isn't a PT vs. Logic War. We all know that PT has better audio editing capabilites. Smart Tool...need I say more? I'm creating this thread for any one who has used both and can give some tips & input on how make logic AUDIO editing more like PT. Or if you're just a good editor in Logic feel free to share. I'll start first w/a feature in logic that pisses me off, and maybe someone can show me around it.

Layers: this drives me nuts. If you copy a region and paste it on another region, the old region stays underneath, and sometimes pops over your edit. WTF!!! this is so stupid, is there anyway to turn off layers? I always end up having to first cut out the undesired part, then copy the desired loop and fill the gap. Other than that I've just noticed weired glitches, for instance when editing 2 or more tracks simaltaneously I highlighted a region w/marque and hit delete, then all that did was split 1 of the highighted regions WTF again!! It was only happening like that randomly.

Lastly is there a way to group your tracks (like in PT) so that when you are editing in arrange, you can edit all of your existing tracks w/out having to keep working vertically w/the marque? This bugs me a lot. If you group your tracks on the mixer page it only keeps them grouped there. Or it would be nice to have an ALL button in arrange which would allow you to edit everything at once.

One more actually, I know I'm going off here. In PT the default quick keys A and S will trim your clip. A trims the head of your clip & S trims the tail. Does anyone know if there's a function in Logic to do this? Right now I first split the region using \ then hit delete. I'd like to do this in one step.

This can be a very helpful thread to a lot of people if we can get some good answers. Let's keep it going. While you're at it feel free to vent out some complaints to see if we can answer all of each others questions. This thread is all about learning new techniques, not a logic PT war. I'm using the Protools editing as an example of how I like working, that's all.
1. Layers: this drives me nuts. If you copy a region and paste it on another region, the old region stays underneath, and sometimes pops over your edit. WTF!!! this is so stupid, is there anyway to turn off layers?

Change the Snap mode to No Overlap.

2. Lastly is there a way to group your tracks (like in PT) so that when you are editing in arrange, you can edit all of your existing tracks w/out having to keep working vertically w/the marque? This bugs me a lot. If you group your tracks on the mixer page it only keeps them grouped there. Or it would be nice to have an ALL button in arrange which would allow you to edit everything at once.

Check out the manual on page 75 about the Marquee Stripe.

3. One more actually, I know I'm going off here. In PT the default quick keys A and S will trim your clip. A trims the head of your clip & S trims the tail. Does anyone know if there's a function in Logic to do this? Right now I first split the region using \ then hit delete. I'd like to do this in one step.

2 Steps: use the Marquee tool to select and then hit the key command for Split Regions/Events by Locators or Marquee selection.

Oh, and please, learn how to use spell check so that we Logic guys do not reach the conclusion that all PT guys are functionally illiterate .
Old 30th June 2009
JPZ
Lives for gear

Yeah Logic is a little frustrating to edit audio with but once you figure it out it's ok.

Layers: Turn on no overlaps but this doesn't really work when copy/pasting as you'll get the region disappearing thing. Workarounds are option/dragging regions to your destination or if you copy/paste take Logic's version of the trim tool and just move one of the pasted region's boundries a little bit. This seems to reset everything. A small step but not too bad

I hate PT's dumb er I mean "smart" tool. Weird as it may be I actually prefer Logic's tool set

Logic doesnt' work like PT so give up on that. It has a ton more of options and the only way to do it right is to learn the program. It's pretty powerful once you do that
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Yeah Logic is a little frustrating to edit audio with but once you figure it out it's ok.

Layers: Turn on no overlaps but this doesn't really work when copy/pasting as you'll get the region disappearing thing. Workarounds are option/dragging regions to your destination or if you copy/paste take Logic's version of the trim tool and just move one of the pasted region's boundries a little bit. This seems to reset everything. A small step but not too bad

I hate PT's dumb er I mean "smart" tool. Weird as it may be I actually prefer Logic's tool set

Logic doesnt' work like PT so give up on that. It has a ton more of options and the only way to do it right is to learn the program. It's pretty powerful once you do that
I'm not saying that I need it to function exactly like PT, I just want to know what I have to do to adjust. Kind of like the synonym if that makes any sense.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

I'd suggest the first thing you do is to alter the keycommands to mimic Pro Tools.

-Set the pointer tool to F8
-Set the Marquee tool to F7
-Set the Looking Glass tool to F5
-Set B to split regions
-Set R and T to zoom in/out horizontally
-Set command-arrow up/down to zoom in/out vertically
-Set E to zoom to selection
-I have to look this one up, but there are 2 keycommands that can be used to trim the start and end of a region.
-I have Q and W setup as zoom history back and forward, in combination with the the other tools this is a great way of navigating the session.

These commands will speed up your workflow quite a bit IMHO.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear
I am sure there are a lot of very skilled logic users who are very adept at editing but for me pro tools doesnt half seem a hell of a lot easier. I guess the OP is simply asking for logics editing to be made more intuitive and this is a recurrent theme in a number of forums.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
I am sure there are a lot of very skilled logic users who are very adept at editing but for me pro tools doesnt half seem a hell of a lot easier. I guess the OP is simply asking for logics editing to be made more intuitive and this is a recurrent theme in a number of forums.
Agreed. Having said that I have Logic and rarely use it apart from when i'm writing I really wish I could grasp the audio side of it better, so lets keep this thread going.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
I think part of the problem is people expecting Logic to behave like their previous DAW, there is a lot of migration back and fourth ! IMO Logic is great for editing audio and i'm just as fast or faster than P.Tools guys , i actually find P.Tools slow , but that might not be because of P.Tools but because i'm used to the way Logic does it(for me Logical) , it would be the opposite for people coming from P.Tools , so a thread like this is indeed handy ....

People who use Logic just to compose very rarely find out the depth of what Logic can do in audio editing land and the assumptions build up, as you can see Logic is customizable (one of it's strong traits) and can be set up to mimic P.Tools workflow quite well for users who jump back and fourth between the two, of which there are alot, in fact all i see in studio's these day's is P.Tools and Logic , maybe it's just my neck of the woods ...
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Nut

I'm sure if I spend more time with it I will find a workflow that works. As has been pointed out, the keyboard shortcuts are the thing. I use the multi tool so much in ProTools I need to setup shortcuts for swapping tools in Logic and also the zoom keys to match what I'm used to. I haven't configured shortcuts yet but it looks pretty simple from the manual. Are there sets you can download and import anywhere, eg a ProTools set you could just import?
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
I'd suggest the first thing you do is to alter the keycommands to mimic Pro Tools.

-Set the pointer tool to F8
-Set the Marquee tool to F7
-Set the Looking Glass tool to F5
-Set B to split regions
-Set R and T to zoom in/out horizontally
-Set command-arrow up/down to zoom in/out vertically
-Set E to zoom to selection
-I have to look this one up, but there are 2 keycommands that can be used to trim the start and end of a region.
-I have Q and W setup as zoom history back and forward, in combination with the the other tools this is a great way of navigating the session.

These commands will speed up your workflow quite a bit IMHO.

+1
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
I think part of the problem is people expecting Logic to behave like their previous DAW, there is a lot of migration back and fourth !
Not exactly trying to have it behave exactly the same. Just want to perform the same tasks. I've already customized my key commands, just need to know how to do what I'm trying to accomplish, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
People who use Logic just to compose very rarely find out the depth of what Logic can do in audio editing land and the assumptions build up
This is very true, which is why I'm trying not to be one of these people. I want to know as much as I can.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=byrd62au;4335383]I use the multi tool so much in ProTools I need to setup shortcuts for swapping tools in Logic QUOTE]

If you hit the ESC button it will bring up the tool box wherever your mouse is. This is very very helpful and fast for changing tools. Also set your secondary tool as the marquee tool, so when you command click you can highlight regions easier. These 2 tips have helped me edit the way that I do in PT. Still looking to learn some new tips and techniques though. If you've got em' please share with us!
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

You can do all the same editing functions in Logic that you can in protools. Logic is great..I just don't know how to measure in samples in logic...anyone...

NO OVERLAP always keep it on that...I can't find one good reason for overlap

Not too sure about group editing...in logic you can put things in a folder or just select all the tracks you want to edit...

I only just recently learne how to "batch fade" in Logic...what a revelation that was

It's all there
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glissando View Post

"batch fade" in Logic...what a revelation that was

It's all there
What is this you speak of? You're right it is all there, that's why I started this thread. You just need to find the way of doing the things you're use too. Thanks for the input. Can you enlighten me on this "Batch Fade"?
Old 1st July 2009
Quote:
What is this you speak of? You're right it is all there, that's why I started this thread. You just need to find the way of doing the things you're use too. Thanks for the input. Can you enlighten me on this "Batch Fade"?
Select the regions and apply the fade in the Region Parameter box in the Inspector.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
I just don't know how to measure in samples in logic...anyone...
+1 would like to know too!

jaakko
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

What is the inspector? I don't have Logic in front of me right now so I'm a little confused
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just don't know how to measure in samples in logic...anyone...
Isn't there a pull down up top of the arrange window that allows you to change it from bars and beats to samples? I don't work in samples so I'm not sure. I have it set to snap to whatever it's closest to, forget what this mode is called, working back and forth between too many workstations these days.
Old 1st July 2009
Quote:
What is the inspector? I don't have Logic in front of me right now so I'm a little confused
Manual, on Pages 42-43.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
Manual, on Pages 42-43.
hehehehehe
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

You can edit audio in logic very easily and quickly, same as protools. ->read the manual; sort your key commands

it's just plagued with bugs and weird behaviours and the session is becoming slow with lots of edits and fades.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Get yourself the logic keyboard cover and you'll be learning stuff quickly.

Logic Pro/Express Keyboard Cover for Apple Ultra-Thin Keyboard
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
Get yourself the logic keyboard cover and you'll be learning stuff quickly.

Logic Pro/Express Keyboard Cover for Apple Ultra-Thin Keyboard
I'm talking more techniques & tips, I have set up my own custom keyboard layout. Thanks for the link though. If I wasn't so use to my own custom setup I'd purchase one of these.
Old 2nd July 2009
Quote:
I'm talking more techniques & tips, I have set up my own custom keyboard layout. Thanks for the link though. If I wasn't so use to my own custom setup I'd purchase one of these.
I do not mean this as a put down but I am honestly bewildered.

You are "used to your own custom setup" and yet you do not know something as basic as what the Inspector is?

You should not be creating custom setups until you understand at least the basic elements of the app.
Old 2nd July 2009

Great thread. I definitely find Pro Tools' audio editing to be significantly easier than Logic's, and I've been using both for close to 10 years now.

I think this thread will be most useful if those of us who are having trouble with Logic's editing, ask specific work flow/editing questions (as some have already done) and see how everyone gets to it in Logic.

When I get a chance to get in front of my computer, I'd definitely like to post a few examples of audio editing tasks which I think are relatively easy in PT and not so much so in Logic, and see what all you Logic audio gurus have to say.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

Trim In Logic Like I Would In Pro Tools

OK, at the risk of incurring the wrath of others, I have a similar question.

In PT I can highlight a portion of a region, then hit command-T and it will trim the region, i.e., truncate before and after the highlighted portion.

I want to be able to do the exact same thing in Logic but I can only do something close, but that requires more keystrokes: I can highlight with the marquee and then click to separate the desired portion from the rest (the parts before and after), but then I have to delete the undesired forward and backward ends. Is there some keystroke/method I just haven't found yet that does what the TRIM in PT does?

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

I really don't understand what people are talking about with editing audio in Pro Tools being easier than Logic. Logic can be set up to edit audio just like Pro Tools. Go into Logic's preference and customize to your liking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search