The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RTAS Compressor with Sidechain input...
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

RTAS Compressor with Sidechain input...

I've got a whole bunch of RTAS compressors, and the only ones that have sidechain inputs are the Bomb Factory and Digirack II (and the Digirack only in the Audiosuite version, if I'm not mistaken.)

Seems like for the price, the McDsp comps could have it, and the Sony and the PSP stuff too. How do you guys get around this? I'm trying to do a pretty simple 'suck the synth bass into the kick' deal. Guess I could just automate the fader, huh?
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Seems like for the price, the McDsp comps could have it, and the Sony...
And they do.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

You mean they both do? I have the McDsp MC2000 and the Oxford Limiter and I don't see the sidechain input in the RTAS or Audiosuite version. Is this a TDM only feature? I'm puzzled.

Edit: I checked my versions to make sure I have the latest ones; and I do. I see where the sidechain input would be, because the BF76 has it. I even tried walking around to the back of the monitor to see if it was on the rear panel.

Now you've got my head spinning.
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hint: A sidechain is also sometimes called a 'key'.

I don't have the MC2000, but both Sony Dynamics and CompressorBank support this. [I just double-checked to make sure I wasn't crazy. :]

Key input on the gray PT RTAS frame up top, and then select the appropriate mode in the plug...
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I get that it's called 'key input' 'cause that's what the BF76 says.

Here's what I'm looking at:
Attached Thumbnails
RTAS Compressor with Sidechain input...-comps.png  
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, I see where under 'features' the Compressor Bank supports sidechain input. I guess they thought that it wasn't necessary on the 2000. And there wouldn't really be much reason for one on the Limiter, but I'd like to have it anyway; considering that I don't just use limiters for bus compression.

thanks for checking!
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

looks like you're hosed.

didn't even know you could get the Sony limiter w/o the rest of the Dynamics --this is clearly a different version than I'm dealing with...

and MC2k looks like a whole bunch of firepower for a simple task. CompressorBank supports a sidechain, fwiw...

Apologies for the confusion. I assumed that you meant CBank & SonyDyn...
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

no prob.

I have the Sony Dynamics rig on my other ilok (which I hope is around here somewhere). The MC2000 will open as a 2, 3 or 4 band. I think the three band is easiest to work with unless it's a vocal trak and then I use two band.

Oh, and that's the new Limiter.
Old 19th August 2005
Here for the gear

PT LE allows RTAS sidechains, PT TDM does not

Pro Tools TDM (all versions as of 6.9.2) restricts RTAS inserts to disk tracks only, and does not allow sidechains for RTAS plug-ins.

Pro Tools LE does not have these restrictions.

It may be that vendors who don't support RTAS sidechains simply didn't realize that LE does allow them...

But the same plug that offers a RTAS sidechain when run under PT LE will NOT display a sidechain (key) select popup under PT TDM.

-Frank
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

Interesting...

I suppose that McDsp knows about the key input capability since Compressorbank has it. I just prefer to use MC2000 because of the control. I understand that they figure a multi-band doesn't need a key input, but I sure would like it. I wonder how hard it would be for them in put the code in.

thanks for the info! (I'm using LE, btw.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search