The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fireface 800 levels setup?
Old 25th June 2009

Fireface 800 levels setup?

Just got a Fireface. I've used nothing but a Firebox in the past so this will take some getting used to.

Do you control the Fireface's monitor level by the 1&2 outputs on the mixer? I hooked up my monitors to the 1&2 analog outputs on the back of the Fireface. Everything was LOOOOOUD then so I turned the output levels in the mixer to like -40db for it to be reasonable. I thought that there may be some kind of gain knob on the front of the FireFace to adjust the monitoring level, but I guess this is done solely in the Mixer, right? I was thinking that there would at least be a 'link' function in the mixer faders to have both the 1&2 sliders move evenly for the monitoring level.

There's also the Playback section. It's kind of confusing because both of these seem to control the levels.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

the playback section controls the send levels of what comes out of the computer to the various hardware outputs of the FF. If your DAW outputs go to playback outputs 1&2, you could send that pair at -12dB to physical outputs 1&2 for your monitors, but at full scale to the headphone output (9&10) since there is a gain control for the phone gain. Gotta get the hang of this before you tie your monitors directly to the physical outs, heh. I know what you mean when you say LOUD. heh. be careful when you discover the preset buttons (1-8, on the right). That's another way to get into LOUD by accident. heh.

you can link a fader pair together by clicking on the channel id somehow until it turns yellow; the whole yellow group moves together. But for a stereo pair, a simpler way is to hold down OPTION (on a Mac) while you move one of the faders; it binds the two together.

hth,

-synthoid
Old 26th June 2009

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is that the Playback and Analog outputs are kind of similar so I'm still working with it. Should I leave the output section 1&2 at unity gain 0db and just set the Playback really low like to -30? Or I could bring down the analog outputs and bring up the Playback a bit... I'm not sure what the effect would be using the different ratios here.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

I don't think it makes any difference to the sound because the internal bit depth is enormous (48?) IIRC.

When I'm just sending an output to monitors or headphones, I set the playback channel to unity gain and set the output itself down to a low level.

Once you start actually mixing stuff together in TotalMix, then the right way to organize the gain stages usually becomes clear.

-synthoid
Old 27th June 2009

Thanks for your help dude

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search