The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Linking two Mac Pro Computers ( MacPro )
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Linking two Mac Pro Computers ( MacPro )

I have seen on the Apogee * Vienna Symphony website that you can LINK two MacPros (I think via ADAT) to double the processing power & RAM when using intensive Virtual Instruments (VLS in this case) or to double the processing and I/O usage (in the case of the Apogee Syphony).

Here's the question: Has anyone tried this successfully? Is it as easy hooking them up via an ADAT cable?

Also, can this be done with a MacBook Pro and a MacPro?

I know having two MacPro hooked up together would be great; for example:
The MacPro only has 4 PCI Cards per comp. So let's say you wanna run ProTools HD and Logic with your Euphonix interfaces and want/need to toggle between the 2 programs AND you want use your VLS VI's and your UAD Plugs and you want to have 3 monitors setup (one the Logic app, one for PT and one for the VLS and UAD stuff)

Now, 3 PCI slots would be used up for the monitors. One slot would used for the UAD card. One for your eSata HD's. One slot for Apogee Symphony. One slot of PTHD. Then you'd have one slot open for a second PTHD card or Symphony Card or UAD card.

Just the limit of the PCI cards and the processing needed to run all the above makes running two MacPros together a real need in this case (now we won't get into how much RAM will be on each MacPro as Apple is the only one selling the 4GB RAM cards for the Mac Pros and they're charging a testicle a peice for them, so, the reality of having your MacPro having the the FULL amount of RAM, 32GBs in this case, costs an extra $5,000 which is, you guessed it, the price of another MacPro).....

Experiences? Thoughts?
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 View Post
I have seen on the Apogee * Vienna Symphony website that you can LINK two MacPros (I think via ADAT) to double the processing power & RAM when using intensive Virtual Instruments (VLS in this case) or to double the processing and I/O usage (in the case of the Apogee Syphony).

Here's the question: Has anyone tried this successfully? Is it as easy hooking them up via an ADAT cable?

Also, can this be done with a MacBook Pro and a MacPro?

I know having two MacPro hooked up together would be great; for example:
The MacPro only has 4 PCI Cards per comp. So let's say you wanna run ProTools HD and Logic with your Euphonix interfaces and want/need to toggle between the 2 programs AND you want use your VLS VI's and your UAD Plugs and you want to have 3 monitors setup (one the Logic app, one for PT and one for the VLS and UAD stuff)

Now, 3 PCI slots would be used up for the monitors. One slot would used for the UAD card. One for your eSata HD's. One slot for Apogee Symphony. One slot of PTHD. Then you'd have one slot open for a second PTHD card or Symphony Card or UAD card.

Just the limit of the PCI cards and the processing needed to run all the above makes running two MacPros together a real need in this case (now we won't get into how much RAM will be on each MacPro as Apple is the only one selling the 4GB RAM cards for the Mac Pros and they're charging a testicle a peice for them, so, the reality of having your MacPro having the the FULL amount of RAM, 32GBs in this case, costs an extra $5,000 which is, you guessed it, the price of another MacPro).....

Experiences? Thoughts?
A couple of years ago there was a point with two computers but nowadays...not really. It will cause more trouble than fun. If you need more PCIe slots, buy a Magma chassi. If you need more RAM than one App can hold ( approx 3Gb ) just open another standalone app ( AU host ) and route MIDI internally. And in your case Vienna Ensemble uses RAM outside Logic.
With Snow Leopard and the next generations of software, RAM issues will not exist anymore. With SSD Hd:s disk streaming will be taken to a new level too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search