The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
bcr2000 for protools and logic
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

bcr2000 for protools and logic

hello

i wish to use the bcr2000 to control plug ins in logic and protools.

i've put 3 stripes of tape under the knobs and i've written "gain 1" on the first knob "freq 1" on the second "Q 1" on the third.. and so on.

under "gain1" i've written "threshold" under "freq 1" i've written ratio" under "Q1" i've written attack and so on..

what i want is control all the eq/compressor/gate i use during mixing, no more, no less.

is that possible?

i want to use only the midi learn of logic and protools, so i have to program them one time and forget.

one doubt: every knob has a CC, every CC can be used for multiple plug ins, how logic and protools recognize i want to control that plug in and not another one, and not the same plug in in the other track?

i suppose they can recognize the plug in i've opened with the mouse and clicked on because i want to work with and the other plug ins will ignore the midi message.

is that true?

well i've never done that before, if you want to help me is really appreciated.

thanks
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I think logic says it all on how to program a control surface in the manual
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear
i'm interested in this too, is possible to use the bcr in protools? i've tried selecting it as a m-audio keyboard.. but it doesn't work.

but should work, i mean it sends midi messages and protools should receive midi message, right? so why it doesn't work?
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

I've never used it, but you should at least be able to use MIDI learn with compatible plug-ins (such as the AIR instruments).
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

no bcr in pt?

I have just spent the last three days looking for any online evidence the bcr2000 will work in PT and as far as I can find, it will only work the transport window. The bcf2000 is apparently fully functional.
I would very much like to be corrected regarding this.

Last edited by mingustoo; 25th June 2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: added stuff
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

From what it seems like Digidesign don't let you map the parameters of their plug-ins unless you're using a 'supported' midi control surface.

And unfortunately the BCR2000 isn't one of them.

I would really love a cheap surface to control PT's effects as well.

Logic has a midi-learn and I've successfully mapped loads of different things to my keyboard controllers but, well, it ain't Pro Tools.

R.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear
ok, but the third party plug ins works?

is there another knob controller that works in protools for that purpose?
Old 25th June 2009
Here for the gear

Use the BCR2000 as a Mackie control.

Register here: bc2000 : bc2000 (for the BCF2000 & BCR2000) , read and download the files.

Get BC Manager here: mntn-utils.110mb.com - Mountain Utilities

More on Mackie emulation + presets here: BCR2000 Presets - Mackie preset

Wiki: Main Page - BC2000

Have fun.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

I'm still using an 'older' Motormix; works great with PT, and Logic supports it also.
The only nag that Logic has, that whenever Logic crashes, for whatever reason, I have to install Motormix again in the controlsurface-setup.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
From what it seems like Digidesign don't let you map the parameters of their plug-ins unless you're using a 'supported' midi control surface.
Many plug-ins support MIDI learn (like the AIR instruments), there should be no problem using that feature...?
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
The bcf2000 is apparently fully functional.
Fully functional in the regard that it emulates babyHUI. Meaning control is actually very limited. Very unfortunate. Works much better in Logic (especially if you use the software display).
Old 25th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Fully functional in the regard that it emulates babyHUI. Meaning control is actually very limited. Very unfortunate. Works much better in Logic (especially if you use the software display).
Both BCR2000 and BCF2000 can emulate the Mackie Control also, not just the Baby HUI - meaning they can do this.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Many plug-ins support MIDI learn (like the AIR instruments), there should be no problem using that feature...?
Hi Stiff,

Yeah I just can't seem to get it (for instance, my Ozonic) to map the native PT plugs like compressor, gates, eq's and such.

Instruments don't seem to be a problem though.

R.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Use the BCR2000 as a Mackie control.

Register here: bc2000 : bc2000 (for the BCF2000 & BCR2000) , read and download the files.

Get BC Manager here: mntn-utils.110mb.com - Mountain Utilities

More on Mackie emulation + presets here: BCR2000 Presets - Mackie preset

Wiki: Main Page - BC2000

Have fun.
speedy you are the best.
a name a mean
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

wow great! thanks for all the informations, but i haven't understood one thing, is possible to use it to control eq and comp? i don't want to use it to control tracks, i want to assign the knob i want i the position i need.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattianlaseppia View Post
wow great! thanks for all the informations, but i haven't understood one thing, is possible to use it to control eq and comp? i don't want to use it to control tracks, i want to assign the knob i want i the position i need.
In Logic I BELIEVE the answer is yes. I don't have a BCR so I can't confirm this but like I said I have had success mapping my own midi controllers to comps/eg's/etc in Logic.

In Pro Tools, unless someone can specifically and categorically state to the contrary (and just to alleviate any disbelief, post a video of it! ) I don't think it's possible to map the BCR's rotary controllers to individual eq/dynamic plug-ins in PT8.

I would love to be proved wrong because I would love to set up a BCR controllable channel strip in PT8.

I mean I would LOVE it!

I'm not trying to spread any misinformation I just haven't seen or heard of it being done.

From what I understand Novation's Automap 3 and Axiom Pro CAN map the insert plug-ins though.

Good luck,

R.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for the informations!
Old 30th May 2010
Lives for gear

Bump,

Just picked up a used BCR2000 (only $75 in almost perfect condition) and I'm trying to get it working with Pro Tools.

So far I have gathered that I must use a 3rd party program to translate the MIDI data to Mackie control language?

I was digging for the threads where people were building wood frames and cascading these things.

Just wanted to briefly ask is anyone on here using their Behringer control surfaces sucessfully to control plugins (not just instruments) in Pro Tools?

Thanks in advance heh
Old 24th August 2010
Here for the gear

max 8

from some tests I've run while building a custom rotary encoder controller... I'm pretty sure PT will allow a max of 8 parameters to be controlled on a non-instrument plugin (EQ, comp). Obviously being able to assign 32 encoders to corresponding parameters on a channel strip plugin would be what we're all hoping for, but I think at this time, even if you could get the BCR2000 to communicate reliably with PT, it'll limit you to 8 controls on the non-instrument plugs. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is why no one is building the type of controller we all want.

I've posted a related thread aimed at the PT community on the DUC:
Rotary encoders with non-instrument plugins - Avid Audio Forums

If this tech limitation can be solved, I'll be building some really nice controllers for folks who mix a lot.

Cheers,
Neil
neilshah.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search