The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
laptop , softsynths, external drive
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

laptop , softsynths, external drive

Hi All,

I'm new to the softsynth thing and looking for some guidance on setup. I run a MacBook Pro dual 2.4ghz, 4gb RAM, 160gb HD, hooked up to a MOTU 828mk2 (Black Lion Modded w/ext clock) and 500gb 7200rpm external HD, connected via firewire.

Here are my questions:

Will I take a performance hit if I run Omnisphere off the external HD, or is it a nonissue once I load the patches into RAM? Will I be able to play back an Omnisphere track while I record 2-4 tracks of 24/44.1 audio? I'm not totally clear on the concept of how it works or whether this would be putting the drive or the bus under too much stress.

Is my computer fast/powerful enough to run Omnisphere inside Digital Performer 6, assuming I have 12 or so other tracks of recorded audio with some effects processing going on (I don't need 200 instances of anything)?

I could conceivably upgrade the internal HD to 500 gigs if it makes a difference but otherwise it seems like a waste of money if I can just run off the external drive.

Thanks.

--JES
Old 18th June 2009
Here for the gear

i havent worked with omnispere (and i dont know if it loads stuff in ram or play samples from the drive) but i can tell you this... your computer kicks ass !

of course its better to keep the soundbanks of all the softsynths in another drive and use another drive for recording audio (preferably not the internal drive for any of the above) ... this way you can have more tracks playing or being recorded at the same time. the internal drive you have is cool... its not the size that matters but the drives speed... 7200 rpm is more than ok !
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. Are you recommending 2 separate external drives for the softsynths and for tracking or can I just get by with one that's both my "tape" and my soundbank? I rarely record more than 2 tracks at a time, 24/44.1.

Thanks.

--JES
Old 20th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Thanks for the reply. Are you recommending 2 separate external drives for the softsynths and for tracking or can I just get by with one that's both my "tape" and my soundbank? I rarely record more than 2 tracks at a time, 24/44.1.

Thanks.

--JES

then the external drive you have is fine...! as long as its not almost full !
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Nut

i was in this same situation not too long ago. at first i had my external drive hooked into the extra firewire port that is on my audiofire 4, but i found that my overall audio performance went down significantly if i was, say, running omnisphere off of the drive while in my daw.

i ended up getting a 2.5" 500gb seagate momentus internal drive. 7200rpm and 16mbcache. now i can put omni, sd2, and all my other sample librarys onto one disk and not worry about speed or ergonomics.

as for omni- i run a 2.4 core 2 duo with 4 gigs, and can run multiple instances at 128 buffer no probs. it really depends what kind of patches you are running though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search