The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Beat detective question?
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

Beat detective question?

Hey guys,

I use Beat detective in frequently. So I am not up on a lot of tricks with it. Well a lot of bands I record do not play with clicks.

I was fixing a drummers part yesterday and he pushes ahead of the beat like a 16th or 32nd…
Then pulls back a 16th or 32nd sometimes in the same bar.
Of course he said he practices with a click all the time.. It was not a feel thing like always ahead.. he was ahead 2 beats then behind then ahead etc etc..He was just listening for the click and the other band members instead of just concentrating on playing time.Only young and new to the studio.. But the prob I have with beat detective is:

So when you chop up the track and if the Kick is say pushed forward a 32nd and now conformed it is in time.
When you try cross fading you get a little click/pop of the old kick as it was so far out it is on the edge of the cross fade… So it goes click…Kick.
I had to trim the Kick track through more so it cross faded a lot earlier manually.
Is there any better way to do this??
I played with making the cross fade bigger but got more click and smaller does not even join up with the hit beforehand as he is way out. I have had this before and would like to know what people do.. It was a 5 minute song so doing this for the whole thing was out and we left it.
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Addict

It's important to apply beat detective to the whole kit and not just the kick track. You do this by adding the trigger points of selected drum tracks to a collection and then conform the entire kit. It's vital to collect each tracks trigger points over the exact same captured time selection before you conform.

Here's an abbreviated guide from memory as I'm not in front of PT:
When you've got you're kick triggers correct, click on the COLLECTION mode button. Click on the ADD button. Your kick triggers are added to something similar to a clipboard. Now click NORMAL mode and find the triggers for the snare track. Enter collection mode again and add them. Repeat these steps for each drum track and then finally conform. Be sure that the captured time selection is the same for each track. Most times you'll get away with just collecting the triggers for the kick and snare and then conforming the entire kit. Be aware of time signatures and check that each trigger is showing the right time/beat location. You may have to manually edit the trigger location of some drums.

It may be helpful to use Low Emphasis on kick and toms, while using High Emphasis on snare and hats when you analyze the tracks.

Much like using auto-tune, tightening drums is an art that can be learnt and developed.

Hope it helps.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks I am doing the whole kit, and use low emphasis and it lines up great...
Although as the player is really forward when it crossfades you get the start of the click of the kick in it that was played early.

Like in the Crossfade section
xxxxxxxxxxxx
K..........KICK (real kick)

So the start of where the old kick is click through...
Hope this makes it easier to understand..
And of course it does this on all the 12 tracks....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search