The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Native Instruments - "Could not allocate DFD memory...audio engine will be stopped!"
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

Native Instruments - "Could not allocate DFD memory...audio engine will be stopped!"

I've been getting this message when loading up sessions that use Kontakt 3 and Elektrik Piano (although I wouldn't be surprised if the other instruments in my Komplete bundle do the same thing). The instruments are subsequently unusable and if I try to play the tracks that use them, Pro Tools crashes. Half the time, when I restart Pro Tools, the session will open up without a problem but inevitably the problem will resurface.

I've tried tweaking the DFD allocation settings in the respective instruments' settings, to no avail. I spent a decent chunk of change on the Komplete 5 bundle, and I really do love their instruments, but this is driving me nuts...

I'm running PT 7.4, in Windows Vista x64, quad-core processor with 6 GB of RAM. This is only one of a number of compatibility issues I'm facing with my DAW....very frustrating....
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear
I've experienced the same error message using Kontakt 3 on XP-32. I believe the 3.5 version of Kontakt is in beta which is supposed to fix these memory issues. I don't really use EP, though I have it. I've noticed it takes forever to load on my system, so I generally use synthetic EPs.

You might try JBridge, which could potentially alleviate your problem at the minor cost of some convenience.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Nut

Well I downloaded the demo of JBridge, perhaps I didn't set it up correctly, but I followed the instructions to the best of my abilities and it made no difference.

Even when Kontakt loads up properly, as soon as I try to load a patch, I often get this lovely error message:

"PANIC: Could not allocate enough memory. Application is likely to become unstable."

Whereupon Pro Tools crashes.

Oh joy.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

I would look at my DFD settings. Perhaps you are allocating more RAM than necessary in the buffers.

I actually have my buffers set as LOW as possible and have the voice count over 500 and can load tons of sample libraries before this message appears. I do have 3 dedicated HDs for these sample libraries which might be why I can set the buffers as low as can go in Kontakt.

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search