The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm about to soak this thing in lighter fluid and do my best "Jimi at Monterey"!
Old 15th August 2005
Here for the gear

I'm about to soak this thing in lighter fluid and do my best "Jimi at Monterey"!

I have been struggling for the past two weeks trying to get my rig to work properly. It's a Lynx 2-C/Samplitude setup running on a dual AMD machine using XP. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I cannot even get it to record correctly without a +/- 1 second delay between what I play and when it gets recorded.

I've been between the builders and the seller and I have gotten nowhere.

Ok, say I bail on the whole PC-based thing... What is the best stand-alone unit? Am I going to get anywhere near the sound quality that I would with my current rig? (Assume for a moment that it is working properly.)
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Radar is pretty well known for sound quality as a stand alone unit. Check with Mercenary Audio.
Old 15th August 2005
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into those but the price was prohibitive and there is not an editing function to speak of. Apparently they sound great though.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, how about a Fostex D2424 and 3 units of 8 channel pre w/ ADAT out (Mackie Onyx 800r, MAudio Octane, RME Octopre, Audient ASP008, Focusrite Octopre etc etc)? Nice and cheap, fairly reliable, easy to use.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

cocheese....
before you get out the fluid,....
it sounds to me like a configuration issue.
if your PATIENT i might be able to get you thru this...but no guarantees.
i suspect your samp settings possibly. firstly.....you talk about a delay....
I NEED DETAILS TO HELP YOU....what exactly are you doing ?
midi or audio track recording ?
also..could you check in samps preferences that you have full duplex recording enabled and the correct drivers are enabled. by the way....i'm a computer engr.
with respect if i cant get you running....i'll tell you.
but be patient..
these things are often simple stupid config issues.
get back to me. peace.
another thing i would like you to do is try other recording software demos like ntrack or powertracks that i use. or the free audacity. (hitsquad.com)
THIS WILL BE A CLUE.....if NONE OF THESE WORK.....then it narrows things down to a computer or sound card set up issue.......and we can THEN work on that .
BE PATIENT.peace.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

cocheese....
some further thoughts. ...thought i would write a mini tutorial for you to help.
been awhile since i played with samp....but heres some things i would try.
if you notice samp has a myriad of settings...to allow recordists to set it up many different ways.
and its possible the settings are not configged for your needs.
this is what i suspect is the source of your problem. IE...SET UP !
so here goes....these are all clues to helping me help you....
SO BEAR WITH ME. as i have to narrow down where the problem might
be technically.
1. check full duplex capability is checked.
in a playback settings dialogue if i remember.
2. make sure and READ THE SAMP HELP on configuring buffers.
in the audio preferences set up if i remember you can change a number
of buffer parameters relating to audio.
if these arent set up correctly this might account for the problem
your getting. so...i would try increasing the number of buffers maybe and the size of the buffer.
REALLY SPEND SOME TIME WITH THIS. THIS IS IMPORTANT getting these buffering settings correct.
3. i would also like some details on your system. including ONE HARD DRIVE OR TWO ?
and please check in XP control panel IF DMA IS ENABLED ON THE HARD DRIVES.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. also please tell me the amount of memory with this system.as i need to learn a bit about your system to help.
4. another thing i would like you to do is...the lynx presumably comes with a control panel.
are you sure this is set up right ? because if its NOT ...this could be another area to address. these sound control panels have been a major problem for users of different brands of sound cards. and they MUST BE SET UP RIGHT !!!!
in SUMMARY....your problem is probably one of the following...
...either a setting in samp itself(eg...buffering)
...OR a setting in the lynx sound card control panel
...OR maybe a lynx sound card driver (are you sure you have the latest drivers installed ?)
...OR maybe a setting in your pc's general set up.
i will need to address with your help each in turn.
be advised your not alone in this..whichever software one chooses for audio ...there is always a configuring period to get
things running properly.
IF YOU COULD ALSO TELL ME IF YOU HAVE NORMAL PC sound facilities.
i would like to know that as well.
Another way to BEAT THIS...is to try another sound card.
ITS ALL PROCESS OF ELIMINATION to help you get going.
if another sound card works HUNKY DORY then this tells me the issue is with the lynx and NARROWS THINGS DOWN....and we can look at your lynx settings.
see where i'm going with this ? just trying to help. peace.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese
I have been struggling for the past two weeks trying to get my rig to work properly. It's a Lynx 2-C/Samplitude setup running on a dual AMD machine using XP. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I cannot even get it to record correctly without a +/- 1 second delay between what I play and when it gets recorded.

I've been between the builders and the seller and I have gotten nowhere.

Ok, say I bail on the whole PC-based thing... What is the best stand-alone unit? Am I going to get anywhere near the sound quality that I would with my current rig? (Assume for a moment that it is working properly.)
there should be no issues at all with that setup. what mobo and processors?
are these "builders/sellers" supposed to be Pro DAW people?

when you say "Play" are you talking about playing a midi control and triggering samples?

or are you recording real audio?

this 1 sec thing is this a delay in the wave form being drawn?
or a delay in attempting to add additional tracks?

Scott
ADK
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

again, there is no reason for this problem
do you have asio enabled under the recording prefrences
in samplitude?
it should not even be a buffer problem with almost no tracks
you could also uninstall and reinstall the lynx drivers

i am telling you right now it is USER error
and has nothing to do with your setup

have you gone to the samplitude user forum?
if not, why not?

if you are trying 1 or 2 tracks there should be no problem
dma enabled or not, buffer settings should be set to default, that should not be a problem either

i smell user error
sometimes it helps to RTFM

check your playback settings in samplitude it is under options recording somewhere, software monitoring
tape monitoring, the like, i am not home so i cannot look
samplitude is deep if it is user error and you have not read the manual or are to new to this stuff to figure
out the program then it is your fault

open the menus at the top, do you know what it all does?
if not find out, take 2 aspirins and call me in a month
samplitude is the deepest DAW out there

again, the only other issue is either soundcard driver
or installation, make sure the pci (lynx) card is seated properly, meaning turn off the power and reinstall

luv and kisses, your kindhearted samplitude consultants at gearslutz

how much you wanna bet.......USER ERROR
Old 16th August 2005
Here for the gear

Guys, I appreciate all the help you have provided here. I've decided to bail on the whole PC-based recording thing altogether. I know, it's not the most patient choice, but I just don't have the time to be a techie. I wish that I could because that would mean that I'd have more free time on my hands to do that sort of thing. I'm just a hobbiest and yes, I am sure that it is user error. I know how these somputer issues are as I deal with them all day at work. I am a database manager and have my fill of compatibility and server malfunctions. I have come to the realization that in my free time I'd rather not be staring at a computer screen. Please, no one take any offense at any of this. I totally respect you guys for what you are doing and appreciate the help you have offered for me here 100%. Sorry if I disappointed some of you guys...
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Nut

Hey "Chief",

what version are you on?

Cheers,

Sebastian
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry, I cannot resist this comment which is intended to be in good humour.

Burn it! Burn it real good. Get out that lighter fluid and set that POS on fire.

Alternatively, it will make a great boat anchor.

Make sure you get photo's or film of the event. You might be able to sell that as a Jimi Hendrix Memorial Tribute piece to certain MI rags or to Fox News. Blood, fire, and freakshows always get the headlines.

Take it back and get a refund, then spend your money on mics and pre's. Or guitars, no one can have too many guitars. Or mics and pre's. No person can have too many mics and pre's.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

I get a problem very similar to this in version 7.22 w/ an Echo Layla card, actually the Layla 24 and the newer 3G model, when trying to record MIDI tracks only the midi info also plays back off time and get worse as the song goes on.

I am using a 2.17 ghz AMD machine w/ an Asus mobo and a gig of ram.

If anyone is still in the problem solving mood. I could use some help!
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

twonky....
PM me. i'm a computer engr. will try and help you.
but be prepared to be patient while i diagnose whats going on....peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search