The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High quality transparent limiter plugin AU format?
Old 15th June 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
nas's Avatar
 

Question High quality transparent limiter plugin AU format?

Been using Logic's limiter on individual tracks and the 2 buss. It's o.k., but can anyone recommend a high quality transparent (not colored) limiter to help control peaks. I am using other compression plugins to get color and slam tracks when I need to.
Old 15th June 2009
  #2
The Sonnox Limiter is quite transparent. Also, the Waves L series is supported
in AU format .. although they are a little more coloring than the Sonnox one.The
L2 is probably the most transparent of the lot (IMHO).

jeff
Old 15th June 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 

I would definetly recommend the UAD Precision Limiter, if your willing to invest in the UAD technology. Put the Precision Limiter on your master bus and slam it on and listen to your mix get louder without clipping or Colour.
Old 16th June 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
A440's Avatar
+1 on the Sonnox. Also, recently had an album mastered ...the ME used a PSP Xenon...very clean & transparent I thought.
Old 16th June 2009
  #5
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Sonnox Limiter, Flux Pure Limiter II, Waves L3....
Old 16th June 2009
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
The Sonnox Limiter is quite transparent. Also, the Waves L series is supported
The Sonnox is great as long as you de-activate the default safe mode which always engages Enhancement - even at 0%. This means you get some distortion by default but you also increase the perception of loudness. This can sound great on some sources, and not so great on other sources.

I recommend the Flux Pure Limiter II, which not only sounds great but has advanced release setting (max. and min. release times + velocity) and an internal sidechain filter.

I am using the Flux a lot more than my Sonnox these days, and it especially compares well in terms of loudness perception if you are not using the Enhancement/distortion feature in the Sonnox, i.e. you want a cleaner signal.

I also have the L2 and L3, but while the latter sounds like broken glass to me, I rarely see a need for the ageing L2 though it can be fine on some sources.

The UAD Precision Limiter can sound great but it's definitely quite colored when pushed, which can be nice on some sources but not a one-size-fits-all.
Old 16th June 2009
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
xgabrielx's Avatar
 

I hate the waves L3 so much!!!!!

But the waves L3 LL does the job (with maximum gain reduction of -3dB)

If you own the L3 you get the L3 LL for free
Old 16th June 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
YUGA's Avatar
 

Voxengo Elephant 3 is really good and very affordable.
Old 16th June 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgabrielx View Post
I hate the waves L3 so much!!!!!

But the waves L3 LL does the job (with maximum gain reduction of -3dB)

If you own the L3 you get the L3 LL for free
No L3 for me tutt

I think the new Ozone limiter in Intelligent II mode is very transparent. Voxengo Elephant as well.
Old 16th June 2009
  #10
TZk
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy boy View Post
I would definetly recommend the UAD Precision Limiter, if your willing to invest in the UAD technology. Put the Precision Limiter on your master bus and slam it on and listen to your mix get louder without clipping or Colour.
you still need to put another limiter after the precision
because UAD's holds digital overs but does not hold analog overs !
If you put logic's limiter at 0db after it for instance, this will hold down those last few analog overs.

but i like the sound of the uad
Old 16th June 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 

iZotope Ozone 4
Old 16th June 2009
  #12
Gear Head
 

Intelligent 2 mode in Ozone 4 or EL-UNI mode in Elephant 3.
Old 17th June 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 

The dithering in Ozone 4 is also very nice.
Old 17th June 2009
  #14
16942
Guest
UAD Precision limiter, or maybe even a little better is PSP's Xeon. I go bakc and forth between the two.
Old 17th June 2009
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
David Robinson's Avatar
 

Xenon, Flux Pure Limiter.
DR9.
Old 17th June 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I would definitely check out the Flux Pure Limiter, I find it very good (personally favor the McDSP ML4000, but that's not AU just yet).
Old 22nd June 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 
nas's Avatar
 

Thanks for all the feedback. I downloaded the demos for the Sonny Oxford and FLUX Pure Limiters and gave them a spin last week. They are both very good but I think that the FLUX Pure Limiter is exceptional and is just what I was looking for. I'm still getting a handle on some of the features in "Advanced" mode - especially variable ranges using two different release times as well as the various algorithms - but this plugin is definitely a winner so I just purchased the full version.

An excellent plugin Thanks again.
Old 23rd June 2009
  #18
A couple of interesting points about the Flux Pure Limiter II:

Despite the manual (and common sense) dictating that you use Look Ahead, adjusting Look Ahead to 0.000 ms forces the limiter to compromise the gain reduction time window. While this certainly could lead to distortion, to me it sounds like subtle clipping, which means you perceive transients as more intact in some cases. I like to use this trick on transient material in situations where slight distortion does not matter. Adjusting the correct Look Ahead time will give you a cleaner sound but also slightly more soft and "correct" at higher gain reductions. My point is, that you can use it as a creative tool too.

Being able to control the frequency range determining the release envelope is Pure genius (pun intended). The RL Filter Solo button enables you to listen to the Release Filter in solo. The range is set in the High Pass Filter (HPF) and Low Pass Filter (LPF) parameters. Controlling these is key in avoiding the problems with dulling and modulation distortion you get with so many other limiters. Play around with these two settings and you should be able to get a very good result.

For very fast action I use the Advanced release setting but setting the Release Max at 1.45 ms and no Release Min. For deeper limiting the Release Max, Min, and Velocity come in handy, effectively allowing you to have control over a type of semi-automatic release. The Velocity parameters controls the speed at which the release goes from min. to max. and vice versa. Listen for distortion once settings go above 50% at deeper settings.

I generally prefer the Solera Dynamic Profile as it seems to work well on just about everything, though the Max profile also works well.
Old 6th July 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
nas's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
A couple of interesting points about the Flux Pure Limiter II:

Despite the manual (and common sense) dictating that you use Look Ahead, adjusting Look Ahead to 0.000 ms forces the limiter to compromise the gain reduction time window. While this certainly could lead to distortion, to me it sounds like subtle clipping, which means you perceive transients as more intact in some cases. I like to use this trick on transient material in situations where slight distortion does not matter. Adjusting the correct Look Ahead time will give you a cleaner sound but also slightly more soft and "correct" at higher gain reductions. My point is, that you can use it as a creative tool too.

Being able to control the frequency range determining the release envelope is Pure genius (pun intended). The RL Filter Solo button enables you to listen to the Release Filter in solo. The range is set in the High Pass Filter (HPF) and Low Pass Filter (LPF) parameters. Controlling these is key in avoiding the problems with dulling and modulation distortion you get with so many other limiters. Play around with these two settings and you should be able to get a very good result.

For very fast action I use the Advanced release setting but setting the Release Max at 1.45 ms and no Release Min. For deeper limiting the Release Max, Min, and Velocity come in handy, effectively allowing you to have control over a type of semi-automatic release. The Velocity parameters controls the speed at which the release goes from min. to max. and vice versa. Listen for distortion once settings go above 50% at deeper settings.

I generally prefer the Solera Dynamic Profile as it seems to work well on just about everything, though the Max profile also works well.
thanks for the tips Lagerfeldt .. very much appreciated, especially as the manual is somewhat lacking in details and examples. I've been experimenting a bit with some of the features and have found that a little restraint and judicious use can go a long way. Especially when used on the master bus.. the last thing I want to do is kill a mix that I've worked so hard to get right by overdoing it... or by misuse of some of the more advanced features that are still new to me.
Old 6th July 2009
  #20
Gear Nut
 

hello lagerfeldt,

going through some of your posts about limiters, may i ask you for your opinion:

judging from trying (and tweaking) i have narrowed my choice to two limiters

MPL-1 Pro SE by Kjaerhus
Flux Pure Limiter II
and maybe Voxengo Elephant

music: mostly accoustic music, jazz, classical & contemporary with a lot of dynamics.

would you still pick the flux pure limiter?

thanks

bojan
Old 12th July 2009
  #21
Gear Head
 
Jimsmack's Avatar
 

Ozone 4

Just finished a project yesterday and had the opportunity to use Flux Pure Limiter demo, Ozone 4 demo, and my L1, L2, L3. Not a big fan of the Waves limiters personally, which spurred the search for something new. I'd have to say where "transparent" is concerned the Flux may be more "pure". But Ozone 4 I love. Least damage to my mix under extreme limiting. Warm. CPU intensive. The whole package is great.
Old 12th July 2009
  #22
Regarding Ozone doing the least damage, it will depend on the material and if you're using the clipping feature. You could be "fooling" yourself to some degree.

I prefer using Flux Pure and controlling clipping separately when mastering, best of both worlds.

@Bojan, I'd go for the Flux, but why don't you download a trial and compare it to the Elephant? Make sure to experiment with the advanced release setting.
Old 12th July 2009
  #23
Stillwell audio has one called the event horizon which can be clean and dirty. I love it.
Pretty cheap.
Old 12th July 2009
  #24
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
iZotope Ozone would be my first choice. The Voxengo Limiter is pretty damn good too.

The Sonnox limiter is fairly transparent and you can boost the signal to ungodly levels, but theres something i dont like about it. The sound is very sterile to me.

Havent tried the Flux Limiter, but if its anything like the compressor of theirs, then its probably fantastic.
Old 12th July 2009
  #25
Gear Nut
 

@Bojan, I'd go for the Flux, but why don't you download a trial and compare it to the Elephant? Make sure to experiment with the advanced release setting.[/QUOTE]

thanks lagerfeldt, well i did download both and i have been tweaking elephant and the flux limiter for days on really different mixes and i fail to come to a conclusion.

the parameter possibilities (esp. in elephant) work very differently in different situations, so it´s hard to tell, which one is the overall (for my taste) "better" one. i bought the elephant now, but i think i´ll get the flux mastering bundle as well soon. i do have the feeling that in some situations, the flux limiter is more natural, and solera seems to be very good as well). to be honest, i feel, that it´ll take weeks to learn to do the fine-tuning properly (and lesser fun than turning hardware knobs and switches...).

digging deeper into elephant, i wished voxengo would provide a thorough documentation on each of the algorithms (what is the difference between the 3 el-modes and the 4 aigc-modes, etc) and the accoustics behing the knobs in the mode editor.

bojan
Old 12th July 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Geert van den Berg's Avatar
 

My votes go to:

-PSP Xenon
-Flux Pure Limiter II
Old 12th July 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 
DrDeltaM's Avatar
 

And don't forget the Pro Audio DSP Dynamic Spectrum Mapper
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump