The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cubase versus Logic
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Cubase versus Logic

Help me complete an essay. Which program do you prefer and why?

Thanks
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Oef, this could become a long, long thread... but since nobody replied I'll give it a small start. First of all, if you choose for Logic you choose automatically for Apple, so you have to like Apple and OSX in order to go for Logic. Cubase runs on PC as well Apple, but is known to perform better on PC. Logic is probably little less intuitive to start with. Logic has much, much better plug ins and is actually much, much cheaper. Why, because for the price of Logic you get a great sampler, a good reverb, good guitar(bass)amps, synths, a good virtual Rhodes, Hammond and Hohner D6, Ultrabeat etc. etc. Actually, Logic is probably the most complete total solution there is in the market. But, lately it is not very stable and it is not very clear where Apple is going with Logic. It looks to me that Logic as it is now is an end and will be transformed completely to something new. Whether this new thing (interface, audio engine etc. etc.) will be better is a crystal ball (will it go the direction of Soundtrack?). Anyway, to me it seems that a big change is coming starting with 8 or whatever they call it. Cubase SX 3.1 is currently great if it comes up to stability and functionality, besides that it has a fantastic audio engine. The interface is good and intuitive tho' the mixer might be better. The plugs are not the best, but this is not the primar focus as it looks. Making the core business (midi and audio) supreme has it focus and that it does very, very fine! Actually, Cubase is in a certain way almost identical to Nuendo and the latter is currently a rising starr with a lot of high end producers. Cubase was less in the past and Logic definitely gained a solid place at the pro world, tho with introducing SX and especially because of Nuendo and putting the audio engine of Nuendo in SX since version 2 these things are changing now. I personally like Cubase better if it comes up to the interface and midi and audio handling and it is simply more intuitive. But, I like the mixer and plug ins of Logic better. I prefer PC above Mac, so that would be another vote for Cubase. In the end both are just great pro solutions and if platform is not an issue it is not an easy choice. Both are just great and I would put it black & white regarding operating system or: if you prefer PC, go straight for SX, if you like Mac go straight for Logic.

Roger
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

I don't know cubase but I can say after working and digging into Logic after getting really mad and wanted to not use the program anymore, I have learned to LOVE IT! there are sooooo manythings in Logic so you have to be patient, read and learn. Very powerful tool. There are a fewthings that still kinda make me go "hmmm" but I know it will all balance out. Another thing that is cool is that you can use PT interfaces. As far as I know you can use a 002 as the frontend for Logic. This way you can use both Logic and PT. Do somethings in PT and others in Logic + it's a good way to get more tracks with out going buy a big HD. You can just get the basic HD or 002 with a G5 and you are in Biz. I went motu 192 but I think it might be cool to add a 002 incase I need it. Just my thougts. Maybe it will work 4 u and maybe not.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Logic is a big Hairy, sweaty, stinking Beast!!!!!!!!!!!
And I LOVE It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, by the way, in case you didn't know, "Logic Sucks"
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Logic for me, though I started at version 2 and never touched Cubase until VST 5.0, so...
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad
Logic is a big Hairy, sweaty, stinking Beast!!!!!!!!!!!
And I LOVE It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, by the way, in case you didn't know, "Logic Sucks"
I love it too! Yea, it sucks... if you don't know how to use it.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandino221
I love it too! Yea, it sucks... if you don't know how to use it.
Thank You!! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 12th August 2005
Harmless Wacko

I prefer using Logic for most stuff.

Right now it's in one of it's 'pain in the arse' phases depending on which machine, hardware and OS yer using. We have 11 workstations going in 10.3.9 here and it's MADNESS keeping them all running properly.... Some of the older 'dual boots' actually run MUCH better in 10.3.4. Go figure.

Still doing Beat Detective in PT when we gotta(Which is as often as not).

Recently started doing VocAlign and graphical AT stylee vocal work in DP4.6(which is a killa new part of that program... It runs 'graphical' in RealTime.

Cubase is not getting as much attention these days although it has some insanely useful features.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

depends on what your doing
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman
I prefer using Logic for most stuff.

Recently started doing VocAlign and graphical AT stylee vocal work in DP4.6(which is a killa new part of that program... It runs 'graphical' in RealTime.
SM.
Yea, I want to learn more about DP. Looks like a great program. I have it but have not used it cuz I'm trying to get logic down. One thing at a time right??

One thing for sure is that Logic is not one of those install and you are ready to rock programs like PT. It did not take me long to learn PT. Logic is much more to it, however, it pays off in the end (if you don't listen to all the negative things people say, who MOST LIKELY did not really take the time to dig into the program and learn about it but said "it's not like PT so forget it").
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr
Logic has much, much better plug ins and is actually much, much cheaper. Why, because for the price of Logic you get a great sampler, a good reverb, good guitar(bass)amps, synths, a good virtual Rhodes, Hammond and Hohner D6, Ultrabeat etc. etc.
actually, cubase sx is MUCH less expensive - got my copy new for under $350 shipped. when you're shopping for a sequencer, plugins shouldn't be your main consideration - the sequencer should be. in that respect, i like cubase much better.

besides, i don't think a lot of logic's plugins are necessarily that great. that's why i like to 'roll my own' with better-sounding third party plugs. for instance, logic's space designer isn't half as good as waves ir1 or altiverb... the free blockfish sounds better than logic's compressor... hydratone and urs beats any eq in logic, etc... just because the plugs are free, doesn't mean the sequencer is any better.

fwiw, i sold my copy of logic to buy cubase sx. i've been very happy with it ever since

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr
Cubase SX 3.1 is currently great if it comes up to stability and functionality, besides that it has a fantastic audio engine. The interface is good and intuitive tho' the mixer might be better. The plugs are not the best, but this is not the primar focus as it looks. Making the core business (midi and audio) supreme has it focus and that it does very, very fine! Actually, Cubase is in a certain way almost identical to Nuendo and the latter is currently a rising starr with a lot of high end producers. Cubase was less in the past and Logic definitely gained a solid place at the pro world, tho with introducing SX and especially because of Nuendo and putting the audio engine of Nuendo in SX since version 2 these things are changing now. I personally like Cubase better if it comes up to the interface and midi and audio handling and it is simply more intuitive.
you're right on the money. in fact, if steinberg would just add a loop browser and drag-and-drop inserts, i'd never use ableton live again. heh
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

I love Logic!!!!! I hope Apple rewrites it.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
I love Logic!!!!! I hope Apple rewrites it.
I'm waiting for an Audio Suite like in PT and DP. That would be great. I am sure it will come in due time.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Nut

Cubase... after learing how to do all the basic stuff in it, everything clicked, and now moving to anything else just feels painful and unelegant to me. Everything just makes so much damn sense. Plugins aren't such a big deal to me; all the effort in cubase went into the sequencer, which is just fine for me.

What I'd really like to try is Pro-Tools, though.
Old 13th August 2005
I bought a $50 user's guide to Logic about 6 weeks ago simply because it had a 30-day demo for Logic included on a CD and I wanted to try it out. Basically I found it inscrutable, and I don't have time for reinventing the wheel these days. Believe me, I would love to be a Logic user, from a technical standpoint it's surely the most efficient Mac DAW software out there, but if it takes 6 months to get up to speed, I don't know that I'll ever have that 6 months to spend.

Cubase (which I use) has always been easy to learn and use, for me. Digital Performer seems equally as inviting. I spent about 20 minutes on DP recently at a store, with no manual, and was quickly able to do a lot of stuff just following my instincts. I may get an additional sequencer in the next few months to see if I take to it, and at this point I would go with DP (crossgrade offer) instead of Logic Express, just to see what it's all about.

As far as value, it's certainly true that if you have only $1000 to spend on production software, Logic seems to be the most you can get for your money. But the other point is equally correct: if you are ultimately unsatisfied with Logic plug-ins (and with a few exceptions, who wouldn't be?), and are going to purchase dedicated plugs to address individual needs, it's no longer such a bargain, since you're paying around $500 for a bunch of good plug-ins that you will rarely use because you also own a bunch of other plugs that are just a bit better.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

I used to use Cubase now I use Logic and that says it all for me.
Cubase is owned by Yamaha ...
Emagic is owned by Apple ...
Which software would you choose?
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Crossgrade Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace
I may get an additional sequencer in the next few months to see if I take to it, and at this point I would go with DP (crossgrade offer) instead of Logic Express, just to see what it's all about.
If I was to crossgrade to DP from Logic, I will keep my Logic license
- right??

ruudman
Old 13th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
- right??
ruudman
As I recall, yeah. You might ask on Unicornation (www.unicornation.com) to be certain. You probably have to send in the cover page of your manual or something. I've never heard of a crossgrade offer where they try to deprive you of your license for the competing product...

DP allows you to crossgrade from just about everything short of Microsoft Word so you probably can pick which manual you want to deface, anyway.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
umm, i'd still choose cubase... unless you can sell me on why apple's ownership of emagic means anything...

maybe it's just me, but i'd rather use a sequencer that's owned by yamaha. at least they have a -real- pro audio division.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
er.. I think Yamaha's track record in the music tech industry speaks for itself.

Apple are an IT company.

Which would YOU choose to make music with?
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Agree, I wouldn't dare to use software made by a software company.......

ruudman
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
- right??

ruudman

yes

You do lose the 1st page of your logic manual however
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Not much serious deeper comparisons so far. Just stating that one love's Logic doesn't say nothing at all if it comes up to a comparison of these two solutions...

Roger
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersisblue
yes

You do lose the 1st page of your logic manual however
Huh? Because of the serial #?
Then isn't that a proof of ownership that I loose..?

Sorry for hijacking, I'll argument for Logic in my next post heh

ruudman
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

thanks people. can anyone justify their reasons? I used Cubase last year and am using Logic (protools too but thats out of the equation) this year.
Cubase benefits from rewire and the fact that you can process the signal as it is being tracked, i.e. compression and add chorus to a guitar as it is being recorded. Logic wont do this, the sound has to be tracked first then effects and dynamics done on playback. That gets on my nerves a bit. any comments on the difference between editing and recording methods? thanks for posts so far.

Chris
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agree, I wouldn't dare to use software made by a software company.......

ruudman
Given that Steinberg and Apple are both software companies, this is a level playing field.

The fact that Steinberg also have the backing of one of the biggest music technology manufacturers in the world is huge plus point imo.

Does emagic actually exist anymore?
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Junkie,

Working with audio on Cubase is brilliant. There are so many cool features that it makes things quick and easy, which means above all you can have fun!
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogWai
Given that Steinberg and Apple are both software companies, this is a level playing field.
Just a reply to "Apple ain't pro audio" sentence..
I think they both will have a future in the OSX platform.

ruudman
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Once you conquer the learning curve in Cubase, it's a great application. Until then, it's a PITA.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

I love pita, stuffed with lots of spicy ingredients heh

ruudman

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search