The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dual Partitions: OS9/OSX. Any Tips?
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Dual Partitions: OS9/OSX. Any Tips?

Hi guys,

I'm going to be helping some friends out that have even less computer expertise than I do (pretty scary actually) and they've asked me if I can install OSX on their computer. (I know, I know but she's a designer and was stuck using Quark in OS9 and they've continued using a REALLY old version of Logic. Definitely not slutty...)

So I know how to partition external drives but...

1. What is the safest way to back-up everything she already has on her computer before I reformat?

2. How do I partition the drives without the operating system? Do I do this from the boot-up disk?

3. Should I install OSX first and then install OS9 on the other partition? The other way around? Or does it even matter?

4. Which versions of OS9 and OSX? I'm thinking 9.2.2 and 10.3.9. Should I just bite the bullit and put Tiger on there?

And lastly, Is there anything I should REALLY watch out when attempting this process? I have to admit it kinda gives me the willies...

Cheers for all your help,

R.
Old 10th August 2005
Here for the gear

Target Disk Mode

If it's a powerbook you can do all the transfers, backups etc. by putting it into target disk mode. Hold down key T as the Mac boots up. Then when all that is done and everything is safely backed up onto another mac/drive partition the drive with disk utility in your osx disk (boot with it in the drive - hold down key C as the mac boots)

Actually, now that I think of it you can do this with a G4 as well. I just put OSX and Tiger onto my old Pismo this way last week. Everything seems to work well - I did a few short tests with DP, Peak etc. and all seems well in Tiger so far - the main G5 we have here is still Panther.

Karl
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cheers Karl!

Are you saying you can just drag/copy the entire HD folder onto another harddrive/computer, then drag it back when the partitions and operating systems have been changed?

And that's it?

Seems TOO easy :-)

R
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Won't reformatting drives eliminate software authorizations?
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

To be honest, if I remember correctly, all they've got on their computer now (OS9) is Word, Photoshop, Quark and Logic. Which knowing them, are all legit, and only a few authorisations to worry about.

But... I'm just wondering if I can install OSX on an external drive (firwire maybe?) and then just let her boot up from that? Seems alot easier.

Really, I have NO idea about any of this.

R.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I just had my system drive start to fail on a G4 dual boot. With the machine in OSX I used Carbon Clone Copier to make a copy of the dual boot system onto another drive. I put a new formatted disk into a firewire caddy and copied. Then took the new drive and installed as the new system drive. The only problem was a few authorizations which had to be renewed. In one case it even copied the autotune challenge response without a hitch.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey
But... I'm just wondering if I can install OSX on an external drive (firwire maybe?) and then just let her boot up from that? Seems alot easier.

Yes, that'll work just fine. I did something similar in my Mac: I have one of the last dual-processor G4's that came with a "real" install of 9.2.2. (It also came with OSX 10.2.8 Jaguar, which I never use.) I recently installed a second internal drive & put OSX 10.3.8 Panther on that, so now to switch from OS9 to OSX I just change startup drives. Works like a charm, and, as long as I don't try to open files on one drive when running off the other drive, they're effectively completely independent.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

Running OS9/OSX is different on one physical partitioned hard drive compared to two physical hard drives. There are common files between the two OS's if you use a partitioned drive.
I dealt with some issues when I went to OSX to run PT's 6.
I know this about PT's but general concept applies.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/dual.cfm

This is a walkthrough of how to do a OS9/OSX dual boot
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/14527-1.html
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cheers for the links N.J.

And thanks to everyone else too!

I bought an external La Cie for them yesterday and am just gonna install Tiger on that and let them dive into OSX at their own speed.

The whole Carbon Clone, reformat, partitioned drive, dual-boot thing is really just too much for me to be dealing with mentally right now.

I know it should be pretty straight forward but if things start to go wrong I don't really have the time (or expertise) to even know where to start to get it back together.

Thanks again,

R.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search