The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is a G4 Tower Still Worth Using?
Old 10th August 2005
  #1
Gear Head
 
GetAural's Avatar
 

Is a G4 Tower Still Worth Using?

I'm thinking about picking up a Mac (sorry PC guys, I'm done) this week. I'm mostly going to be using it for word processing, and using the internet. I might decide to do some light audio work.

Maybe record a few songs, nothing major. Just some freestyles or something. Maybe some production.

So I guess my question is what not to buy?

I thought about getting a Mac Mini, but then I thought what if I want to upgrade something, it'll be a little difficult to do so.

What do you guys think?
Old 10th August 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 

For what you are looking to do, a G4 is still fine to use.
Old 10th August 2005
  #3
Gear Addict
 
mastermix's Avatar
Love my Dual 1.25 MDD Dual-Boot!

I'll keep it around even after an upgrade...
Old 10th August 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Telecastr's Avatar
 

I record and/or mix projects at 24/96 everyday with Logic on my Dual 867 G4 with 2 UAD1 cards. No issues here. Once I hit about 30 audio tracks in a mix, the only thing sweating is my hard drive. It's the only thing that has a problem keeping up. My processor is just fine though even with a healthy dose of plugins.
Old 10th August 2005
  #5
Gear Head
 
GetAural's Avatar
 

So do you guys think this would be worth the $600. I found this on Craigslist

<hr>
I've recently upgraded and am selling my G4.... The Apple Power Macintosh G4/867 dual processor DP MDD, dubbed the "Mirrored Drive Doors", features dual 867 MHz PowerPC 7455 (G4) processors, 256k on-chip L2 cache. In addition, this model has 512 MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60.0 GB (7200 RPM) Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, and Super Drive (reads and writes DVDs and CDs). Comes with the Apple "Pro" keyboard and mouse. for an online description of the computer, (minus the extra RAM and the SuperDrive), click on:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...67_dp_mdd.html
Running system 10.2.8 and lots of software. For pick-up only. in original box. cash only.
<hr>
Old 10th August 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
About 700-800 on eBay so it looks OK to me.
Old 10th August 2005
  #7
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

id rather use a PC for those purposes....


i own both platforms. several computers of each. just my opinion. PCs kill macs for internet.
Old 10th August 2005
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
id rather use a PC for those purposes....


i own both platforms. several computers of each. just my opinion. PCs kill macs for internet.
Not to start any Mac vs PC stuff but are serious? You must have forgotten about spyware, viruses and all the other little nastys associated with using a PC online. At least with a Mac you don't have to worry about that stuff. And please don't say Norton Anti-Virus...Norton is a virus....

Good price for that mac you listed the desription on. Better get it before I find it. heh
Old 10th August 2005
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
cultureofgreed's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
You must have forgotten about spyware, viruses and all the other little nastys associated with using a PC online.
I never have these problems on any of my machines. A minimum amount of prevention along with Spybot, an Anti-virus, and Firefox is a easy recipe for a happy internet on a PC.
Old 10th August 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Telecastr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilioMJunior
So do you guys think this would be worth the $600. I found this on Craigslist

<hr>
I've recently upgraded and am selling my G4.... The Apple Power Macintosh G4/867 dual processor DP MDD, dubbed the "Mirrored Drive Doors", features dual 867 MHz PowerPC 7455 (G4) processors, 256k on-chip L2 cache. In addition, this model has 512 MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60.0 GB (7200 RPM) Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, and Super Drive (reads and writes DVDs and CDs). Comes with the Apple "Pro" keyboard and mouse. for an online description of the computer, (minus the extra RAM and the SuperDrive), click on:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...67_dp_mdd.html
Running system 10.2.8 and lots of software. For pick-up only. in original box. cash only.
<hr>

Sounds like a pretty good deal. You're gonna want to get more RAM and another hardrive to store your audio files though.
Old 10th August 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Albert's Avatar
 

I'm still using a dual 800 G4 as my main computer. It's great, and I also plan on keeping this once I eventually get a G5.
Old 10th August 2005
  #12
Gear Head
 
GetAural's Avatar
 

Thanks alot everybody.


So I guess a dual 800 or so would do the trick?
Old 10th August 2005
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
keyboardman's Avatar
 

Howdy

I'd get a used iBook for those sorts of tasks.

If you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, I'd get a Mini.

That dual 867 would be my last choice...the MDD macs are noisy as hell. I have the 1.25 dual with the Gerax fan kit in an ISOBox..._now_ its pretty quiet, but that was after $300 in fans. I think the 867 suffers similarly.
Old 10th August 2005
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

We use G4s on both of our HD systems and have never had a problem. It even does fine with our LE systems...
Old 10th August 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Stoneface's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
I never have these problems on any of my machines. A minimum amount of prevention along with Spybot, an Anti-virus, and Firefox is a easy recipe for a happy internet on a PC.
I'm glad to see that somebody can seem to make them work. I think I must have Macintosh blood, cuz whenever I mess with a PC, disaster is soon to follow.
Old 10th August 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 
scruffydog's Avatar
Well..i still got a G4 400/digi 001/unitor set-up!
I feel that it is a great system and even though it heaves quite easily..as I have a large midi rig and mix on an analog board with a good selection of outboard..I can do most things!
I would like to move up but just upgraded my PC rig..I was impressed what I got for the money and use the rig for internet and Melodyne.
So the old stuff still gets a thumbs up for me..not to mention the VST side of things ..great selection of plug-ins ..as long as I don't expect to run live all the time but am prepared to commit in the form of bounces I see no real problem.
But for the top end of the industry...people have to move with the times.. I believe this should be as need dictates.
A G4 ..with a bit of thought... will enable you to make a record...sure..thats a no brainer to me!
Old 11th August 2005
  #17
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
id rather use a PC for those purposes....

PCs kill macs for internet.
And PCs get killed on the internet by Viruses, spywares et al, but Macs dont...

Rock

sdf
Old 11th August 2005
  #18
jordan19
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
And please don't say Norton Anti-Virus...Norton is a virus....
heh

Norton was always good to me.
Old 11th August 2005
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley
And PCs get killed on the internet by Viruses, spywares et al, but Macs dont...

Rock

sdf
i'm a user of both systems. and your statement is wrong. i use pc everyday for internet, now for several years, and i had NEVER problems with viruses. without having norton & co

it's only a problem of the users ignorance. of course the mac is less risky, but only for dummies (that surf too much on sex- and warez-sites ).

because the pc gives the user a lot of freedom within the system and os (eg bios, etc) the pc seems to be less stable. but on a well built and cared system, windows as macos is stable running. for years now and with different generations of pcs, in my studio.
Old 11th August 2005
  #20
Lives for gear
 
severe's Avatar
 

I've got a G4 1.4 with 960mgs of RAM. Upgraded from a 400 via OWC. So...theres always that route when your ready. Should get you through another year or so, until your ready for a G5. I've got a single processor, but PTLE only utilizes one at this time anyhow. My machine runs fine for what I need. Plenty of tracks and plugins.

Yea..go for it.
Old 12th August 2005
  #21
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
of course the mac is less risky,

My Point


rock

sdf
Old 13th August 2005
  #22
Lives for gear
 
remo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecastr
I record and/or mix projects at 24/96 everyday with Logic on my Dual 867 G4 with 2 UAD1 cards. No issues here. Once I hit about 30 audio tracks in a mix, the only thing sweating is my hard drive. It's the only thing that has a problem keeping up. My processor is just fine though even with a healthy dose of plugins.
what audio interface are you running on your G4 bro?
Old 13th August 2005
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Telecastr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo
what audio interface are you running on your G4 bro?
Lynx AES 16.

It's definately the hardrive causing the problems though. The hard drive meter in Logic will just get pegged at the top when I've got that many tracks, while the CPU meter is all the way at the bottom.
Old 13th August 2005
  #24
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
LMFHO. I can't imagine how some guy asking asking if a G4 867 Dula is still OK to use and all of a sudden it turns into a MAC vs PC thread. All I can say is fuuck
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump