The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you dither?
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

How do you dither?

What program works best for you and your style of music?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have Pro Tools LE, and I use either the Power Dither or the regular Dither. I haven't noticed a significant differnece between the two, but I haven't been real scientific with it. I'd like to know more.

I also remember reading that PT only can dither up to 8 tracks at a time. . I don't know if that is true. Can anybody confirm?
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

I highly recommend Bob Katz's book, Mastering Audio, the Art and the Science . You'll find wonderful answers to your questions.

For a preview, check out this article on his website:
http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule...er_page_id=27/

Book here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old 9th August 2005
Waves L2 for me.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace

I also remember reading that PT only can dither up to 8 tracks at a time. . I don't know if that is true. Can anybody confirm?
I don't know why this would be true; if you put the dither plugin on the mixbuss. I wouldn't know if there's a benefit to dithering separate tracks or busses; in fact, I'd think you wouldn't want the dither to stack up.

I usually use type 3. I wasn't able to hear a diff. between the Pow-r Dither types until I recorded a really quiet project + got new monitors and converters, and it still may be psychological. For me, it's splitting hairs.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
dunno about that, i dither only the master track. are you dithering individual tracks?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I don´t dither as a mix 24 in 24 out, but for some temp cd´s I dither when I remember using programs own dithering.... (nuendo/samplitude)
No complaints so far.
Matti
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

POWr Dither for me.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know if the dithering functions in Wavelab 3 vs. Wavelab 5 sounds better or worse?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Voxengo Elephant has some dithering and noice-shaping functions also and of good quality if I understand.
matti
Old 10th August 2005
jho
Lives for gear

My dither plug-in is Rodney Mills or Brad Blackwood

For quickie reference mixes though I use L3 or POWr
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I use MBIT+

ruudman
Old 10th August 2005
Lightbulb

I find it hard to tell any difference to be honest, right now our latest & greatest toy is the new Sony limiter plug in.. that has dither at the end of the chain.. I suppose we will be using that..

I DO click around and try all the variations and settle on the one I like the sound of best but if I am honest - on the noisey rock music we do, I doubt it makes TOO much of a difference..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search