The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic PC-MAC Issue
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

Logic PC-MAC Issue

(sorry about the english in advance)

i was working on Logic on my PC for the last 3 years or so...
a few month ago i bought AMD 3800+2GB RAM and installing logic 5.5.1.
logic dosnt stop sending me error msg such as "out of memory" or "undo might get smaller".
of course this is inposible cuse i've got 2GB RAM!
i search the net and found that there is no solution to this problem what so ever.
what crazy me is that some ppl works on this system like me with no errors at all.
thoes errors can't let you work , it's happen in every little action i'm doing at the arrange window or when i press the red botton.

i am a logic freak.

i can't work with any other platform out there , beside protools that i like.
but PT needs hardware such M-audio or DIGI002.
and the big NO is that she's got only 32 audio channels!!

i am in a deep deep deep issue here.

i would love to buy my self G5 2.0GHZ and work with logic.
i am aware to this system , i'm working on it at anoher studio.
i don't care apple moves to intel , i need a system right here right now.

what should i do?

i really want to buy myself a G5 but i have no money to logic 7.1 pro (1000$)
so i thinking my self working on the express version.
but than i find out that this version give me only 8 bus!!!! (logic pro=64 bus)

LOGIC PRO VS EXPRESS

what should i do???

cubase.nuendo.samplitude. is out of the question.

does any1 here works smooth and stable with logic 5 on PC?

i'm working almost everything on audio.

just a word about the apple -
I like the design, but the Mac is no babe magnet - my dog does a better job @ that. I need a workstation, not a bloody beauty salon.

logic pro need a dongle which i will never get without buying it.

what would you do or what did you do?

thanks.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

hi hitphy,

im on logic 5.51 pc
ive got a dell inspiron 9300 with 2gb ram and 2,13ghz centrino
i get the same message as you ,but i found a trick

go to start on windows xp then run , msconfig

then on the boot.ini tab and under more options change the value
/maxmam to 1024MB and restart , cause logic can only handle 1024mb right on the pc , you wont get the memory error any more cause logic only has 1024mb for operating and the other will be used for you other vstis or samples

try it and let me know

perhabs a memory manager could solve the problem too thumbsup

btw: i will switch to dual g5 till christmas i think the price will drop, was lurking at the dual g5 2,5Ghz ;-) but for now lets continue with the pc stike
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

hi 5.5.1 brothers! I'm still hanging in there as well... running very smooth although I do get that "out of memory" error when I try a digital mixdown with the glue tool on a > 3 minute audio file... I will try that max memory msconfig trick..

running:

AMD64 3500
ASUS A8V mobo
1 GB RAM
1 x 200GB IDE HDD (XP installed on it)
1 x 80 GB SATA (Audio + BFD + samples)
1 x 80 GB IDE (Backup)
Creamware Scope Home PCI card with 2496 8x8 breakout box
Emagic AMT8 thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

KEEP THE FAITH 5.5.1 forever
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Maniac

yes remo 5.51 pc for ever!!!

logic on pc back soon ups not pc intel loool
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo
... although I do get that "out of memory" error when I try a digital mixdown with the glue tool on a > 3 minute audio file... ...

Yes, that's a known bug with Logic PC 5.5.1, and of course it will never get de-bugged...

I am quite happy to be using Sonar Producer Edition 4.x after eMagic dumped me, but L5.5.1 was a very useable DAW.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

ugh i hate that error ,i still dunno what's causing it but it seems all moherboards with dual channel memory controller are capable of starting war with logic.
Also some vst plugins and instruments can cause that memory"loop" somehow (stylus RMX).If you're using 3 memory modules get rid of one - it helped in one case - trick was to disable dual channel memory mode ( on some motherboards there's dedicated - usually third memory slot which is used for "activation" of dual channel - avoid that slot ).If you're having 2 x1 gig memory take one outta machine -that way u definately won't start dual channel mode in bios.
Removing memory houngry plugins then saving song then add them again can help sometimes - but it seems that LAP 551 days are over here .
Some new vst plugs don't work -theres no dely comp on busses ....It's either Nuendo 3 or Logic on mac in the future ....
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
seems that LAP 551 days are over here .
Some new vst plugs don't work -theres no dely comp on busses ....It's either Nuendo 3 or Logic on mac in the future ....
this is some deep ****.

mac sucks!

i still don't know if to buy PC or MAC , i have projects to do!!

logic 5.5.1 is good enough for production.

the real problem is the memory bug and the VST/I that just get newr and better and maybe the old logic wont handle them well.

most of my works are mix's.

i see only 2 choise:

logic 5 on PC or Express on MAC
i don't think any virtual dongle will pop up soon for the pro version.
i'm sorry i don't have extra cash.

MAC+LOGIC PRO 7 = 3000$

PC+LOGIC 5=1500$ (in israel)

1500$???? for what?? what logic 7 can offer to a mix guy like me?

i don't give a sh*t about the new plugins.

if some 1 can tip me what pc hardware to buy so my logic will work properlly i'll be very thanksfull.

i will take a bite at the apple in another 3 years when things will be diffrent.

by the way i was trying the boot.ini thing Before my pc was stolen (have backups)
and it didn't let me in to the "advanced option" botten.
could it be a service that i cut off?
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Head

1 more thing.

on ebay i can find Logic pro for about 400$!!

how come? and what is academic version??
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitphy
if some 1 can tip me what pc hardware to buy so my logic will work properlly i'll be very thanksfull.
huh i would like to know that too .Besides hardware it's really tricky to choose which vst plugins do not crash logic .If i remember correctly version 5 of waves plugins crashes logic.I think 4.0 worked ,dunno does 5.2 work.Hydratone is buggy in logic too.I really don't know what to reccomend hardware wise for LAP 551 .All these new pecees are big can of worms and people do not test new setups with lap anymore .If i was about to buy pc just for that i would go for Intel chipset (865 i think - the one with single channel memory controller) or even Laptop with Centrino CPU inside cause it worx nice with lap (when you turn off that dynamic CPU power saving ****e which crashes LAP).
Btw ALL "undo might get smaller" errors i've seen are on AMD nforce machines (And i've build /worked on/debugged quite lots of them)
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Head

10x RhOdEz , looks very risk to try and build an LAP551 PC.
what will happen if i'll get thoes errors again? im lost.
i will make a tests on several systems but
still i can get Logic pro "academic version" for 200~400$.
still MAC is expensive and probebly less powerfull.
does Powermac G5 2.0GHZ will make the job for...let say
40 audio channels (mostly stereo) + 4 VSTI + 6 Bus (2 reverbs) + 4 inserts at a track?

express version limited to 8 buss , does it stereo?

i'm just freaking out by the minute
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

hmm 40 stereo audio tracks ,i f you start adding more then 40 tracks in logic you'll get disk overload msg for sure but NOT in nuendo .That freaked me out few days ago .I tried to mix some project which had like 60 mono tracks on G5 dual 2 ghz with internal RAID + external FW800 raid + one FW400 hard drive.Damn thing just kept spitting "disk overload" no matter what i tried in audio driver settings (i tried all combinations and splitted files on 3 drives ).So i said fuk it i'll try on PC - macs suck heh .On lap 551 on PC - same thing - disk overload.I opened tracks in Nuendo - voila it works with no problems . SO if you're into huge audio track count logic is nono .(unless smth nice happened in logic 7) .Other thing to seriously consider is NO delay compensation on busses in LAP 551 .SO no advanced mixing setups/procedures there .Then see which VSTi and VST plugins are most important to you .I'm in same position as you there - i would just like to continue working in LAP 551 but it seems its gone :( and we should stop crying and see what the alternatives are .I think i'll stay with PC and nuendo - i just hate damn macs - i work on mac /protools /logic setups but with pc i feel at home -just personal preference - good luck and share your toughts
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm having lots of joy with my AMD64 3500 and LAP551 with the Creamware Scope HOME card with SFP4 software...

sure LAP hates a few VST plugs but so what, I just don't use them.. man I run my PC hard to; BFD, approx 15 - 20 audio tracks with plugs, 10 EXS24's and a few other VSTi's.. As long as I watch my polyphony in the EXS's and VSTi's it's usually smooth sailing!!

btw I tryied that boot.ini MAXMEM 1024 and it solved that "out of memory" error with the glue tool so now I'm like

true PDC on the busses would be nice but I only use them for FX sends etc so a millisec here and there is no big issue to me..

and as I promised myself... I will only upgrade to mac when I start getting some stuff released and making some C O I N from my studio (which is hopfully in the next 2 months if this deal ever comes through on a house track I've done )..

in the meantime my new PC and ol' faithful LAP551 keeps me happy
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

remo ,great that i could help you with that memory prob,keep on doin the good work

and thodez, the waves 5.0 are working great ,but you have to do one thing on the pc side, in the vst folder there is a waveshell5.0.dll you have to rename it to only waveshell.dll and everything will load up smoothly !

Greetings and keep logic alive on pc
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

oh thanx for tips wafze - these are some serious issues
you guys are gonna make me to rethink what my priorities are - hmm going to the dark side is tempting
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

The Logic memory bug can be finaly sorted out by removing memory so you have physicaly less than 1gig.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

7hz ,you dont need to remove your memory , it can be used for the soft synths or exs samples, only do the maxmem trick i have posted above
Old 12th August 2005
Question LAP 5.5.1 works fine for me ...?!

Hey,

I've been running 5.5.1 on my P4 for over a year now , and it's got some little bugs, but i don't get that memory thingy.

I AM using dual channel RAM - (2x512MB at 400MHz) ... it could specifically be your motherboard or the brand of RAM (just a guess though)...
I wish that there were still the emagic bulletin boards, I basically learnt how to use the software + hardware restrictions etc off it.

I can tell you that my RAM is Corsair, I have a p4 2.8GHz.

Just wish I had a decent soundcard and second hard-drive - the problem I get most commonly is that midi/audio sync thing where it just starts ticking when you try to play and you have to quit and open the program again.

Hope this is helpful...

- Jeremy
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

hi jeremy, which soundcard do you currently own?

try a good asio soundcard like the rme or motu or some m-audio ,they will improve youre stabilty midi sync issuse by far

greetings
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
the problem I get most commonly is that midi/audio sync thing where it just starts ticking when you try to play and you have to quit and open the program again.
i also used to get this problem , but not recently.
i wish i could point what the cuse of this.
(and it's blows my S3's woofers away)

also i've got 2 more problems -
* sometimes when i set the buffer to 2000ms , logic get stuck suddenly when i hit the play , the mouse don't move smooth and the PC get's so slow i have to restart handly.
* sometimes when i'm open and close the logic and than open it again it stuck at the intro run at this point: "loading external editor comunication"
or something like that...than again have to restart.

no memory problems cuse i've got only 256RAM.

--

i wish we all could share ower information and get to some point when we will know wich exactly hardware works properly and smooth with Logic 5.5.1.

my setup:
AMD 1800 , 256RAM , Motherboard GA-7DXR , RME MULTIFACE , Seagate HD.

i'm still don't know if my next PC will be MAC or PC .
i can work fine with logic 5 if i could only will know what hardware should i get so she will run good.

i'm getting to think that Intel chip and Gigabyte Motherboard will be good.
don't know about memory yet enough.

ppl telling me that the pro's works only with MAC's , that MAC is more stable for long sessions and logic 7.1 is great.

i think the audio engine is the same **** and only got to do with your soundcard.

i also work on a system with G5 , logic 7.1 , tiger & Protools TDM.
it get stuck sometimes but i'm sure it's beacuse the TDM or EVB or smothing like that and not the G5-Logic 7.1 relations.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:

no memory problems cuse i've got only 256RAM.

try to increase the memory up to 1gb ,this should solve the prob and use the asio driver in logic at perhaps 256 buffers
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafze
try to increase the memory up to 1gb ,this should solve the prob and use the asio driver in logic at perhaps 256 buffers
i can't , my motherboard don't hadle more than 1 stick.
this PC is for internet but my other PC (AMD3800/2GB) was stolen.
i've got projects to finish.

Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i can't , my motherboard don't hadle more than 1 stick.
this PC is for internet but my other PC (AMD3800/2GB) was stolen.
i've got projects to finish.

but you could buy one 1GB stick ,i think that should work with most boards
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafze
but you could buy one 1GB stick ,i think that should work with most boards
i hope so.....i'm buying 1GB today than.
thanks.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Head

10x wafze!!
i bought 1GB+256MB now!
works great!
so much smooth!
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thats really nice, have fun with your setup now :-) thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search