The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase SX, Live 5, or What?
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

Cubase SX, Live 5, or What?

Hey all,
I just purchased a Presonus Firepod and want to upgrade the software. Mainly will be tracking rock/alternative stuff, but also want to be able to create Postal Service type sounds. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

i have both... but if you're buying only one, i'd go with sx3 and add live5 if/when you want to.

fwiw, if cubase had a loop browser and drag-and-drop inserts, i'd never use live again. cubase's time stretching sounds -much- better than live's...
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

different groove quantizes, triplet quantize..iretatize quantize.. making groove from hitpoint editor and edit in place so you can see your groove against audio ect to name a couple more features for me that puts live behind cubase for me aswell, its a fair trade off however for the composing on the fly approach to live which is very fun, id get cubase first aswell. or get sl and live instead of sx. i honestly dont own ableton but use the non saving demo to practise my chops and use it as a sketch pad for idea's and beats but then execute that idea in cubase, im going to buy live soon but mainly just to use it as that.. a live sequencer..it would be pretty much a computer mpc2000 replacement if it had more groove presets.

i have no idea what postal service sounds like so my approach might be totally different... i assume its a band your talking about however
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for your help guys. It makes my decision a lot easier. And by the way.....Postal Service is a band.....it is Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie in front of some beats and whatnot. Thanks again for the knowledge.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search