The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac and PC - not Mac vs. PC
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Mac and PC - not Mac vs. PC

Hey Guys,

whenever i open the door of my server rack i can see PCs and a Mac,
working together in great harmony and peace .

Anyone else using the best of both worlds?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

i use both...
Old 9th August 2005
My pc's a jealous mistress. The fan kicks into high and the hard drive starts oscillating in the bay whenever a Mac walks in the room.

(That's a joke. My computer's clearly a male. And very mellow. Kind of metrosexual, I think. But I don't want to, you know, put it in a box.)

Anyhow, I think you guys' approach probably makes plenty of sense for your situations and can't help but make you more well-rounded computer users. You have the opportunity to pick and choose the best of both worlds.

(I'd love to have the opportunity to spend some relaxed, quality time with a Mac that I could set up the way I wanted and play with some graphics, video, and audio stuff. The time I spend on Macs is usually on the tense side because I'm a) on someone else's computer; b) they can clearly see I'm not comfortable in the GUI; c) I'm usually trying to do something they don't know how to do, themselves, and that understandably makes both of us more nervous.)

Old 9th August 2005
Gear Addict

Yep

Powerbook for tracking
(and school, internet, word processing, etc.)

I like the Mac OS and really dig the 12" powerbook look and feel.

PC for mixing

Way cheaper than a comparable Apple machine as far as CPU is concerned (most of what I need for mixing audio only) and it has been really stable since it has never been on the internet.

I am just really glad I work with gear that works well with Mac or Windows.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

im an honest biased pc guy.. soon to be setting up a school curriculum for a little school in vancouver that wants to start electronic music production classes so im goin shopping soon to grab 3 macs and 3 pc's for a class lab totalling 6 computers... reason for the 3 macs is that we dont want to not include anyone... gonna be a balancing game keeping the students from figthing with each other over the available stations.. kinda figure everyones gonna wanna fight for the mac stations at first...still trying to figure it out but i have to do something with the pc's to make the students want to use them aswell...atleast at the beggining when they notice they are really using the same program things should be pretty fair unless they care about howmuch their stations cost... which i think they will... regardless im looking forward to checking out osx and learning all the troubleshooting involved.
seems here people know that both solutions work and give good results.. unfourtunately most of the young kids in vancouver into production just know and talk **** about what they heard 3-4 years ago. i almost want to go all mac..to save the headache but again then id be leaving out all the pc side.. sall about balance i guess...
Old 9th August 2005

you know now how it worked

I'm a PC guy.. I don't connect my musicpc to internet and hei, I had one crash in 1/2 year (caused trough a Reason/Cubase rewire conflict)..

ok?
Old 9th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by handojin
im an honest biased pc guy.. soon to be setting up a school curriculum for a little school in vancouver that wants to start electronic music production classes so im goin shopping soon to grab 3 macs and 3 pc's for a class lab totalling 6 computers... reason for the 3 macs is that we dont want to not include anyone...
That sounds like a very sensible proposition. If you leave out one, you leave out the platform that most folks will be using for most everything else -- and which many people feel has evolved into a very good platform for music and audio, which has a large and vital body of large and small developers, and was the first platform to integrate multichannel audio, MIDI, and plugin layers into the OS, nearly a decade ago. And if you leave out the other, you leave out a platform that was historically at the forefront of music software development and which is much beloved by a substantial portion of music professionals, far out of proportion to the platform's overall numbers.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
(I'd love to have the opportunity to spend some relaxed, quality time with a Mac that I could set up the way I wanted and play with some graphics, video, and audio stuff.
Well, probably you were already thinking about the following:

Get an older G4 unit. Very affordable and they have enough performance
to check out the things you mentioned above.
Buying a Mac solely for internet purposes would be worth every penny...

What do you think? Useful investment - or a waste of money? Guess that
would depend on how familiar you are already with the Mac....
Old 9th August 2005
Yeah. I think, from my reading, a G4 eMac looks like a pretty good buy. The processor is a little underpowered, I suppose, by today's standards, but the disk subsystem is one of the fastest that Apple has been putting in any of their units, lately --and HD and peripheral throughput looks to be an issue with some of the G5s in both iMac and tower configurations. (MacInTouch)

I could make a case with my accountant for such a purpose, I think, with a little artful footwork, but my conscience -- I've put myself on a tight technology budget here -- would be a tougher sell.

And then, aside from, perhaps, some graphics document conversions and outputting that my clients would save money by doing themselves, I'm not really sure what I'd use it for.

As you say, I could use it to browse the net -- but I'm quite comfortable browsing on my current multi-use laptop, which is quite a bit faster on the web than my client's G5 iMac using Safari. (Now, if you want to compare LCD displays between my notebook and my client's G5 -- the desktop iMac jumps up and down on my 15.4 " laptop display -- which is an entirely respectable, display with very good viewing angles, don't get me wrong. But the G5 display is quite vivid by contrast. Better than my cheapo 19" CRT in many respects, as well.)

As far as viruses go, I haven't had one in around 9 years (and that one was because I did something stupid -- using a driver floppy from a product that had been marked as opened and returned -- and I'm gonna take the technological precaution of knocking on wood here, again, because I've learned my lesson about caution, yah? heh )... Hell, I even went back to IE ( ) because I substantially prefer it to Firefox (in most respects... FF has some very useful features, for sure. And, being a web/database guy, I have to have Mozilla, FF, and IE on my machine.)

But, yeah, it would be great to be able to use a Mac in a relaxed atomosphere instead of having the owner trepidatiously hanging over my shoulder as I try to do something neither of us knows for sure how to do...

heh
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have both. An old Mac for MIDI(DP) and a newer PC for sampling(Gigastudio) and mastering(Wavelab).

Works OK...as soon as the money's there it's getting replace with a G5/LogicPro set up. The PC causes too many headaches. I've got music to do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search