The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
10.2.5 also has firewire issues...
Old 24th April 2003
Mindreader

10.2.5 also has firewire issues...

yawn
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

You wonder if all the Windows users are now laughing. Each OSX version seems to be written by microsoft. I mean the date changes, USB, firewire probs... Its not like the initial OSX was released last month...I will be OS9.2 and PT 5.3 for a while me thinks.
Old 24th April 2003
Mindreader

Read Chris's (Lambrechts) thread about it being rock solid using Pro Tools.

MS are working on their next os codenamed longhorn, and it won't be out till 2005.

Apple release their new updates frequently and that has the advantage of being both cutting edge and a pain.

Most of the current problems are with pushing the standards of peripherals. 99% of kernel panics are hardware related. Most of my personal current grief is because MOTU's drivers for OS X are very unstable.3rd party vendors are struggling to keep up with the speed of all this.

Audio Units documentation was only released to developers in November 5 months ago. Must've taken them at least that long to read the spec.

For 98% of things that people need to do, it's rock solid. I only ever get problems when I'm accessing my MOTU 2408. And I blame the MOTU drivers for that.

Problem is, OS X is now such fun to work in that ANY of it not working properly feels like someones blown out your candles. I am happier in OSX than any other OS I've ever worked in.

At the end of summer PANTHER comes out. And I'm sure it will bring great joy as well as great confusion.

But hey, you could always have stayed at 7.5.5. That was stable.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

No I was just having a laugh at all the posts in dawmac about the date getting reset....

I will still be waiting until something that I really want is in PT 6.3 or whatever before upgrading... I do not run anything apart from the PT HD3 rig on the mac. So once I boot up I am just in PT so the rest of the OSX stuff does not worry me.

Same when I ran PT on NT.. Yes thats right a Mix system on NT. I boot up and go to PT. Although I did do mastering in wavelab back then. The operating system is just something that runs the audio program for me at the studio. The pretty graphics and stuff I do not care about.
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Addict

BevvyB, you're so right about the MOTU drivers. I'm still having tons of kernel panics - thankfully, I'm using my MHLabs 2882 boxes for the moment, but missing all the I/O of the MOTU box. Supposedly, they're releasing another update at the end of this month that should correct the problems. I hope so - otherwise, I'm going to RME. Can't stand buggy hardware drivers....
Old 24th April 2003
Mindreader

Yeah, apparently.

Well, let's hope they get it right this time!
Old 24th April 2003
Mindreader

Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.2.6 6L51 to developers, indicating that another update will be arriving before we see Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)

The update is said to include the following:

Improved reliability for the following applications, services, and technologies: Address Book, Graphics, Printing, OpenGL, and PC Card and USB Hub compatibility.

USB kernal panic fixed, Unreal Tournament 2003 GeForce video improved compatibility and other minor fixes.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear