The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fireface 800 vs MOTU 896HD
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Fireface 800 vs MOTU 896HD

Fireface 800 vs MOTU 896HD, any comments?

Roger
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I use a Fireface for my mobile rig.....very reliable.....good converters....pres OK....low buffer settings work (96Khz/24bit, 20 odd tracks, buffer 128) no clicks......
RME stuff was recommended to me by a few Classical music recordists....seal of approval for me.....Motu stuff works, but to me doesn't sound as good....
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

what if the motu 896hd has the full blacklion mod
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

i like my firefaces. i sold all of my motu stuff because of endless driver conflicts with osx and lack of tech support.
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

I used to have an 828mk1 never had a problem with its drivers or anything. The only problem I had was that the headphone podmeter had to be replaced because it started to crackle very bad.

The drawbacks were IMHO it didn't sound very open and had no low-latency DSP (which the mk2 now has) so I ditched it in favor of the Fireface.

Converters sound much clearer, it has 2 extra mic-pre's which aren't so bad. Not incredible, but usable. I like its DI, with the distortion and limiting. The limiting works well on scratch bass tracks, well even keeper basstracks and couple the distortion to another guitar amp sim and you can get interesting sounds out of it.

But... I heard a recording done by a friend of mine, who bought my old 828 and it sounded great, so much more important is what you put into it...

Though I can't live without Totalmix anymore... unless I'm using PT HD... I am not sure if the 896 has the latest CueMix features? That would make the choice not so hard: FireFace!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search