The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Auto tune without knowing key of song?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have free plugin " C tuner" wich shows me at least the note I´hearing...
(for guitarists who forgot theirs at home )
Cheers Matti
Old 10th August 2005
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
James L.

Blue,

C flat? Don't see that one too often...Possible? Yes. But I think people would most often just use "B" instead. I know you were just kidding people and having fun.

Well, I said I was musically uneducated... heh

No, I simply wasn't thinking, not making any kind of sly joke.

But, yeah, now that I stop and think about it, I realize "Cb" might not be the first choice for quick communication of a single chord.

OTOH -- and I'm asking because I really don't know -- might one not refer to such a chord if one were talking about a variant of the V chord in the key of Gb?

If not... you see, there I gotta fall in with the wild and wooly rebels who secretly suspect there's a cabalistic preisthood conspiring against them... heh

But, even then, I know at this point in the battle that I've got to learn at least some of their wiley and devious ways in order to beat them at their own game. That's what I'm talkin' about.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think C-flat should really be referred to as C-minus.

Hey, how about ' The Bewitched'? Pretty rad stuff.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Blue,

If you were in G flat the V chord would be D flat, not C flat. C flat would be the IV chord; however, you made an excellent point and showed that C flat really makes sense in certain contexts.

Working with things like horns and different clefs can sometimes also be useful...I suppose that's why you sometimes see things like a C clef.

Ears always rule...but having a bit of music theory and knowing some basic harmony and a little about orchrestration, structure, forms, and arrangements can always help everybody and make life much easier. It's good to study some music, not required, just good to have when one needs it.

As I said above:

"Ears always rule."
Old 10th August 2005
no ssl yet
condescending??

I dont think my posts were condescending. I know they weren't meant to be. I honestly feel a BASIC knowledge of minor/major/pentatonic scales would help the guy. Hell once I learned them it helped me. I'm not saying the guys should go to Berklee. I'm not saying sight reading is essential. INFACT I could sight read long before I knew a lick of music theory/Harmony and it didnt help me a whole lot.

I'm just suggesting the guy avoid being in this position ever again. AND IT IS not all that difficult to do so. I think every child/person in America that can learn to speak, can learn music theory to some degree.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
I could sight read long before I knew a lick of music theory/Harmony and it didnt help me a whole lot.
That's true for quite a few people, there are some classical musicians who really don't know much music theory, just as there are other great players in other genres who don't know theory...and then there are the guitar players...and the bottom of the barrel...the drummers who only drool a lot... heh

Maybe it's time for musician jokes. Those are always fun.

q: How do you get a guitar player to shut up?
a: You put sheet music in front of him.

Ok, that one is old, maybe we can have people post some new ones.
Old 10th August 2005
Quote:
That's true for quite a few people, there are some classical musicians who really don't know much music theory, just as there are other great players in other genres who don't know theory...and then there are the guitar players...and the bottom of the barrel...the drummers who only drool a lot... heh

Maybe it's time for musician jokes. Those are always fun.

Ok, that one is old, maybe we can have people post some new ones.
Actually classical musicians do learn theory, usually from early on, they dont learn anything about jazz harmony, which is a whole different animal. I'm a guitar player
who's been known to drool....
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

AutoTune is the wrong plug-in for this fellow's problem...he needs Talent Farm.
Old 10th August 2005
Quote:
Blue,

If you were in G flat the V chord would be D flat, not C flat. C flat would be the IV chord; however, you made an excellent point and showed that C flat really makes sense in certain contexts.

Working with things like horns and different clefs can sometimes also be useful...I suppose that's why you sometimes see things like a C clef.

Ears always rule...but having a bit of music theory and knowing some basic harmony and a little about orchrestration, structure, forms, and arrangements can always help everybody and make life much easier. It's good to study some music, not required, just good to have when one needs it.

As I said above:

"Ears always rule."
I'm so lame. You'd think that 3/4 of my songs weren't built around G, C, and D... heh

Yeah... once again, I wasn't paying any attention to what I was saying -- but usually I'm safe 'cause no one else does, either.

A clerical error. It was just a clerical error.

Quote:
See, now, that doesn't even work with me. Put sheet music down in front of me and I start muttering "Every good boy does fine..."
Old 10th August 2005
no ssl yet
lol what about bass players

Good Boyz Do Fine Always
All Cows EAT GRASS

heh heh heh
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

There are few of those memory devices floating around to help remember the lines and spaces of the staves.

Every Good Boy Does Fine....etc.

I've known some really great sight readers who could pound out a F. List (now did I misspell his name?) piece error free upon the first reading but only had an rudimentary knowlege of theory, which can take years to really learn well. If they don't need it to play well, then they may not learn it or they will just forget it. OTOH, there have been some great classical composers who could not play all that well and were not all that great in the performance realm.

Sometimes I think we like to learn things that we are good at.

Blue,

No big deal...the reason they put erasers on the end of pencils is because all human beings make errors. If I had a penny for all the stupid errors I've made, I'd be the richest person in the world.

As for the suggestion that the orginal poster needs a "Talent Farm" Plug-In, that one would work and probably be a huge seller among the digital crowd.

Always remember: Ears Rule.

And Tubes Rule too...esp. in mics, mic pre's, comps, eqs, Hammond Organs and Leslies, and most especially, guitar amps.

Also always remember:

Analogue Still Rules In Sound Quallity

As always, YMMV
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Lotta haters in this crowd. Chill out, y'all.

On AutoTune 4 you can watch the target notes as they happen. If you have a scale chart, you can find out which key you're in by which notes come up. A few trips through a $10 Hal Leonard beginning piano book combined with this scale knowledge should help a lot. If you're around musicians who can name keys quickly, that'll help -- I've had people call me up for this (I have memorized absolute pitch) -- they'll play the track, and I'll name the scale. I used to name/sing notes on the spot in music school as a parlor trick to impress violinists.

Watch out for the chromatic mode. Also TRACK YOUR AUTOTUNES by bussing -- find the scale & do 'em line-by-line. If you don't have time to draw 'em (best way), at least adjust the speed and "Remove" notes on the scale window if particular lines are being pushed to the wrong note or pushed too quickly/slowly.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmm, I not aware of an edict from God that it is unlawful to "hate" the sound of Autotune, or, all of digital for that matter. Further, I was not aware that it was a "sin" to hate what AutoTune represents or how it is routinely abused.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear
Hi Jules,
for the record, wasn't Brown Sugar basically in C but the chorus started in G ?
(sorry couldn't resist...) heh
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Does anyone out there do freelance autotune work?

I need a SKILLED AND PROVEN autotune jockey for a few tracks.

PM me with your rate and any references.
Old 12th August 2005

In this instance you really don't need to get so hung up on the key of the track. Just flip AT to graphical mode with a chromatic scale selected and LISTEN. You'll hear whats correct and not.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Every
American
Dame
Gets
Babies
Easily

And your guitar is sorted heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search