The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Let's talk about the Genius Bar
Old 21st May 2009
Lives for gear

Let's talk about the Genius Bar

I just had another really positive experience bringing my macbook pro in to a Genius Bar at a local Apple Store.

Not ALL my experiences there have been positive, but for the most part, I have come away with my problem solved and done relatively quickly and politely and free.

Now, admittedly, I have always bought Apple Care (essentially just an extended warranty) & Pro Care (a kind of VIP service contract) for my computers, so I suppose you can't say that it's free, exactly.

In general, I'm impressed with the knowledge base of the Bar, but more than that I'm impressed with the culture of the Bar. The people who work there have every right to be exasperated --- they're dealing with a table full of whining, irritated customers. It's clear that the Geniuses are trained for this... they have more patience and better attitude than I would. I'm definitely not cut out for that kind of job. Doesn't suit my temperament.

Have you guys had good experiences? Bad experiences?

Discuss.

- c
Old 21st May 2009
When I've used them I've actually been impressed by the fact that they actually respect _my_ knowledge of the computer and troubleshooting. They recognised the fact that I had actually tried a lot of stuff to no avail and pretty much just said "well, I guess it's f*cked, let's send it in for a replacement" which is good. This is in contrast to when I was on the phone with Dell tech support many years ago trying to sort an issue - I knew that the computer had a faulty part (don't even remember which now) but they make you do every, tiny little stupid thing even if you swear up and down you already tried those things - they basically act like you don't actually know what you're doing until you're told what to do, wheras the Apple guys know how to deal with customers on every level, whether they're novices or pros.
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Terminal 3 I agree with you and I hate that about tech support, but you have to realize in fairness that 99.9% of the people they deal with probably don't have a clue OR think they know what they're doing and really don't... I have sympathy for the "matrix-esque" fields of tech support people in call centers.

As to the Genius bar, my primary experiences with them involved them telling me that even though I bought some extremely expensive shiny thing from them, since I didn't buy the Apple Care package I could feel free to go f*ck myself. But aside from a crapped-out iPod, I've never had any issues with my Macs, (knock on brushed aluminum), so what can I really say?
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

It doesn't take a genius to know how to fix computers. It's a joke if your out of warranty.
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Wait, explain?

I don't understand what that meant.

And I think you meant "you're."

The Genius Bar isn't meant to be taken literally. It's just a branding thing.

- c
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Former Mac Genius here. Currently full-time engineer in a studio. You'd be surprised how many Genii have music/recording backgrounds. And most of them are thrilled to solve computer problems as a break from the grind of iPods and iPhones.
However, I don't miss the job at all. I did it for a few years, and then got back to doing music and recording.
Old 22nd May 2009
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

The Genius Bar isn't meant to be taken literally. It's just a branding thing.

- c
Whenever I'm having a drink in a bar, I'm amazed at the number of people there who think they're geniuses.
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear
Yeah, the Genius Bar people are the only ones who actually know real information about their computers. I was amazed to find that everyone else I talked to at the Apple store seemed to be bright-eyed bushy-tailed flakes who excused themselves "for a minute" and hopped over to the genius bar to get answers for every technical question I was asking them. This wasn't an isolated incident. I would expect reps in a computer store to know a lot more than they seem to at the Apple store. Seems they'll hire almost anyone with an affable manner and a quick smile.
Old 22nd May 2009
Gear Head

I thought macs never had issues.
Old 22nd May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

In general, I'm impressed with the knowledge base of the Bar, but more than that I'm impressed with the culture of the Bar. The people who work there have every right to be exasperated --- they're dealing with a table full of whining, irritated customers. It's clear that the Geniuses are trained for this... they have more patience and better attitude than I would.
- c

I bet Roc Mixwell can relate to that...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search