The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digidesign Interfaces?
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Digidesign Interfaces?

Just wondering if Digidesign is finally getting around to releasing a new line of interfaces since I'm seeing the Mbox for $349 while supplies last. I'm guessing that the Focusrite Saphire was to be the new firewire version of the Mbox before the split and every time I see that thing I think..."if only you could use it with PT LE!".
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

Since Digi bought M-Audio and some of the M-Audio stuff now works with PT, it could just be that.
Old 7th August 2005
Lou Judson
Split? I must've missed the announcement. Can you give details or info on finding it? I wondered why I never heard the Focusrite name associated with Digi any more. I just got my son-in-law an Mbox for 295 - do they still have anything Focusrite inside? I never was really impressed with the pres in the Mbox.If they phase out Mbox will the M-audio become the defacto low end gear? Will they start working with PTLE and stop requiring a special version for M?

Lou
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

My guess is Mbox 2 with a new version of LE with 48 tracks.
See ya @ AES!
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just got my son-in-law an Mbox for 295 - do they still have anything Focusrite inside? I never was really impressed with the pres in the Mbox.If they phase out Mbox will the M-audio become the defacto low end gear? Will they start working with PTLE and stop requiring a special version for M?
Yes, the M Box still has Focusrite preamps inside. Digidesign was Focusrite's North American distributor for a few years and that changed at the end of last year. I don't imagine the M Box will stop working with PTLE and require a special version. It's still manufactured by Digidesign, and they've worked closesly with Focusrite since long before they handled their distribution on things like their d2/d3 plugins.

-Duardo
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've never used the M-Audio interfaces, but I've handled them and they feel drastically inferior to the Mbox as far as the build quality goes...The Mbox is certainly outdated, but I'm really hoping that Digidesign comes out with a replacement rather than just using the M-Audio interfaces as their new entry level interface. I just want a nice 2 channel firewire interface that will do 192khz, have a wordclock input, and two sets of headphone outs. I have outboard converters and pres, so I'm really only using the Mbox as a conduit to pro tools.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

wish i would have kept my 001 heh heh Digi-002 power harness problems still happening to a lot of owners. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Nut

Hell yes keep your 001's...Digi really gave no new features on the 002 rack w/ the exception of slightly improved a/d...And I do stress slightly...If Digi would have given me a box w/ 16 channels of adat lightpipe I wouldn't have made the switch to Logic Audio...Oh well...I'm not complaining, I mean for $1000 you can buy a 32 track studio and make a grand per project if you have all the mics and what not...That ol 001 has made me a ton of cash, all I"m saying is that if they want me to keep buying their hardware for my home studio, I need some expandability...I love PT software, but I need more digital input hardware options...

Peace
Old 10th August 2005
Lou Judson
RE: I've never used the M-Audio interfaces, but I've handled them and they feel drastically inferior to the Mbox as far as the build quality goes...The Mbox is certainly outdated, but I'm really hoping that Digidesign comes out with a replacement rather than just using the M-Audio interfaces as their new entry level interface. I just want a nice 2 channel firewire interface that will do 192khz, have a wordclock input, and two sets of headphone outs. I have outboard converters and pres, so I'm really only using the Mbox as a conduit to pro tools."

I agree with this, though I'd like four input channels, and 4 or 6 outs. I was on tour needing four track recording, and got a Presonus Firenox, which is a very good unit but PT won't play with it. Tried Cubase and Logic Express but they are hopelssly clunky for just recording audio. Finally settled on Tracktion2, which is slightly less clunky but not intuitive or graceful at all.

After the tour I spent the money on a Sound Devices 744T, four tracks to hard drive with firewire download to Mac - and extremely high quality! But out of a lot of people's price range, for music, when you can get three HD24s and a bunch of mics for its price! But it means no computer on gigs with 2 or 4 tracks...
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

Hey LOU,

where did you get an Mbox for $295??
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, it appears that Avid owns M-Audio, just as they own DigiDesign. So it's all one big company now. Perhaps we'll see a blending of the PT LE hardware with the M-Audio hardware, like Digi will be the HD line, and M-Audio will handle the LE stuff.
Old 11th August 2005
Lou Judson
"Hey LOU,

where did you get an Mbox for $295??"

Leo's Pro Audio in Oakland CA. But it was the last day of July, their annual half off sale. www.leosaudio.com/ but I doubt you can get for that now. There was a counter full of them, I was buying some small parts, and just couldn't pass it up. I have my own old one, so got this for my son in law...

Wonder if they will ever be that low again?

<L>
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I believe Leo's still has some. They were blowing them out at that price till they were "all gone"

ERic
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

It really seems like places are clearing them out so there has to be something new coming at AES. If they were just discontinuing it I wouldn't think they would be trying to get rid of them as fast.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Head

problem is, everytime Digi discontinues something they stop supporting it. So, for software reasons only the 001 is done... Digi has done this for years and that's the main reason I sold all my digi gear for other things. It just sucks, when they stop making something it has about a 6 month shelf life before they stop supporting it in any way. so the next version of PTLE will probably be the last that works with the Mbox... what a waste.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
problem is, everytime Digi discontinues something they stop supporting it. So, for software reasons only the 001 is done...
There were several new software versions that supported the 001 after it was discontinued, and it wasn't for software reasons only...there's a hardware incompatibility with G5 computers as well. That's not something that's unique to Digidesign, though...how long should a company continue to support their old hardware?

-Duardo
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Head

Yes, but, MOTU at least offered a pci-X compatible replacement, still, what about for the G5's still made that are still just PCI? Windows users? It's the software that no longer supports it. PT is still a product, they could at least still offer software support.
This is a clear pattern from Digi over the last 10+ years, so how long do you think PT will work with the mbox?
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo
.how long should a company continue to support their old hardware?

-Duardo

that is a good question, I guess it depends on how much they care about repeat customers/customer service. The support and updates are not expected to be free, but really they should support it several years after it's discontinued. It's so wasteful not to.
This lack of support of the Nord Modular and Yamaha DX200 has left me never wanting any hardware that is dependent of software again... it'll just become outdated as the manufacturer has no commitment to it once it is discontinued.
With something like Digi hardware, PTLE is a paid upgrade so it seems ridiculous that older interfaces won't work with it. It seems deliberate and intentional.
Old 15th August 2005
Rab
KMR Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuucuuV
problem is, everytime Digi discontinues something they stop supporting it. So, for software reasons only the 001 is done... Digi has done this for years and that's the main reason I sold all my digi gear for other things. It just sucks, when they stop making something it has about a 6 month shelf life before they stop supporting it in any way. so the next version of PTLE will probably be the last that works with the Mbox... what a waste.
I think this is a little naive... it's unrealistic to expect companies to support old hardware ad infinitum when there are so many unforseen factors involved. When Digidesign initially produced 001, both OSX and G5's were some way off in the future. Ultimately, you are asking them to plough R&D budget into an old product with ever decreasing "return of investment". They did give users the opportunity to upgrade their hardware (eg. to 002) for a considerable time after 001 ceased production, which is better than most. Not many companies offer a hardware exchange program like Digi... typically when your box is out of date, you sell it on Ebay. Whether you chose to take up this opportunity is entirely up to you... you always have the choice of staying where you are. Presumably a 001 is just as productive now as it is was then, so long as you're happy to stay on an older OS, mac etc.

I currently have the same issue with PT Mix. I can upgrade to HD if I want, but right now I'm working just fine with an older rig. It would be nice if I could run the latest version of PT etc, but I recognise the fact Digi exist to turn a profit, so I don't feel they owe me eternal support. They have moved on... so can I if I spend the $$$.

You are effectively asking them to give you something for nothing.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Judson
I just want a nice 2 channel firewire interface that will do 192khz, have a wordclock input, and two sets of headphone outs. I have outboard converters and pres, so I'm really only using the Mbox as a conduit to pro tools."
Bingo! I just want a firewire dongle to edit at home/on the plane/etc. Pref at higher sample rates but not a dealbreaker.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi
Bingo! I just want a firewire dongle to edit at home/on the plane/etc. Pref at higher sample rates but not a dealbreaker.

YES YES YES! Needing a conduit is the only reason I bought the mBox. I use my iBook/mBox system for editing... I have only used it to record once (a remote), and even then I used outboard pres and ADCs.

I just want easy hardware access to PT in a very small package... a small dongle would be perfect.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundCampaign
Hell yes keep your 001's...Digi really gave no new features on the 002 rack w/ the exception of slightly improved a/d...And I do stress slightly...If Digi would have given me a box w/ 16 channels of adat lightpipe I wouldn't have made the switch to Logic Audio...Oh well...I'm not complaining, I mean for $1000 you can buy a 32 track studio and make a grand per project if you have all the mics and what not...That ol 001 has made me a ton of cash, all I"m saying is that if they want me to keep buying their hardware for my home studio, I need some expandability...I love PT software, but I need more digital input hardware options...

Peace
Yeah.........thats the reason I kept my 001. I monitored the Duc a lot, reading all these issues with the 002. That was my only querk with the 001. 8 channels of lightpipe. I wonder how many out there are using a dual lightpipe card to get audio into their DAW, then importing into PT?
Old 16th August 2005
Lou Judson
RE: I just want easy hardware access to PT in a very small package... a small dongle would be perfect.

Yup! The worst thing about PT for me is not that it needs the Mbox or better as dongle, but that it will not see any other interface for I/O. Shoot themselves in the foot, why not!?!

<L>
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Uh, 002 only sounding slightly better than an 001? Man, I think they sound night and day different. The 001s have a harshness to them that is unbearable IMO.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Judson
RE: I just want easy hardware access to PT in a very small package... a small dongle would be perfect.

Yup! The worst thing about PT for me is not that it needs the Mbox or better as dongle, but that it will not see any other interface for I/O. Shoot themselves in the foot, why not!?!

<L>
It's called being in control of the the hardware as they make more off hardware than software. Buy Logic Express and it's 300 the same price as an MBOX. I use Logic Pro on my laptop so i don't carry around an Mbox or M-audio I/O.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shoot themselves in the foot, why not!?!
Actually, it seems to be working out quite well for them.

-Duardo
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuucuuV
Hmm, I'm still using a mixplus system that I bought 5 years ago and have no problems getting support. Sure I don't see anymore software updates but it does everything I need and still works great. Now if Mattel would just fix my Optigan the world would be a better place. . . . . . .
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
Now if Mattel would just fix my Optigan the world would be a better place. . . . . . .

http://www.optigan.com/service.html

Love Live The Optigan!!
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
wish i would have kept my 001 heh heh Digi-002 power harness problems still happening to a lot of owners. I have my fingers crossed.
I had a problem with the DC Harness in my 002Rack when I first bought it nearly 2 years ago. They sent me a replacement harness from California to Boston in less than 20 hours and called to confirm I recieved and to give me instructions on installation. I was very impressed.

And this past year Apple screwed up and gave me a ram chip for free.

I've been real lucky I guess!

Dante
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Watch out. A firewire MBox may be on the way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search