The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which DVD-R can I trust?
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Which DVD-R can I trust?

I am looking for a reliable DVD-R brand for backups e.t.c.

I hear lots of people saying that many of the DVD-Rs out there are not to be trusted.

So, dear Gearslutz forum members, will you please share your knowledge and experience with me?

Please feel free to name your favourite DVD-R.

I appreciate your time!
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict
I have been using Ridata with a superdrive. No problems
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

ZEUSS, thank you for your input.

Anyone else?
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut

hello,
i use pioneer and panasonic dvdr

brgds
philip
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Panasonic/Matsu****a drives and verbatim disc....not all disc are created equel. Verbatim procures all their raw materials and appears to have higher QC. I have NEVER had a verbatim cd fail, gone thru 1000's, and dvdr same, but only gone thru about 70 or so...

rock

sdf
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Head

Mobile Fidelity just announced a Gold DVD-R out this fall.
Old 7th August 2005
Here for the gear

Personally I use only Memorex Black CD-Rs. Though they no longer have a good writing surface, in two years I have yet to have one wear out.
Old 7th August 2005
You think of DVD-R for backups, right?

I do a backup first of a secondary Firewire/USB2 external harddisk. At the end of the session I write my 4 or 5 DVD's.

Now quality:
Quality depends first on the DVD and second on the combination of writer & DVD. not every DVD is good for every writer.

Next time you are in a store buy a consumer PC-magazine. They have lists with "this DVD-burner is the best this month" and tests of DVDs and stuff..

a lot of people prefer NEC burners with MAxtormedias, I have a NEC and noName medias. also my backups from my first dvd-actions with other burners (3 years ago) work now.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

So far, ricohjpn r01 (with a plextor 712), though I just picked up a pack of yuden000 t02's, so we'll see (difficult to source ricohjpn r01's).

Thing to look for is the manufacturer's ID code, not the brand, as many of the popular store brands are sourced from different manufacturers. Ridata, for instance.. some are sourced from Ritek, others are sourced from ricoh (or possibly elsewhere). I gambled on a 100-pack of Ridata's 8x+R, they're ritek g05's, and they showed *significant* errors just after burning. However, I picked up a 50-pack Ridata 8x+R's prior to that, they're ricohjpn r01's, and they still have exceptionally low PI/PO errors even months later with normal handling.

Try http://club.cdfreaks.com/ , the Blank Media forum in particular.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear
I'd go for Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media - they both seem reliable so far on a variety of Plextor drives. I've also had good luck with a small batch of Memorex DVD's but their CD-R's are terrible so I'm not sure whether they're a safe recommendation.

TDK DVD's don't work at all well for me either.

Cheers.

James.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thank you for your input so far!

What do you think of TDK?
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

NONE
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

yeah i use verbatims and buy in 100's they are cheap (i pay about £43 gbp for 100 - 10 x 10 boxes, just under 50 pence each with the printable surface)

for backups i make 2 copies of each disk and use NERO's disk verify as well to check each one on burn completion
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Addict

Great luck with Verbatim here so far. I just bought a printer to print on the discs so I am now using the Verbatim inkjet printable DVD-R's and its working out very well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search