The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best OSX sampler for Mac
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

Best OSX sampler for Mac

Is the logic EXS |24 the biz? as good as Gigastudio?
worth defecting PT for?
or at least doing some of the job there.

will Mach5 or kontakt handle giga lib's as well as the logic sampler?
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

can't wait for that Mach5 to become available and get my hands on it. the local motu guy promissed me the first available package the same day it arrives.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

lucky u!!!!

let us know what you think won't you, it does look promising.
Old 23rd April 2003
Mindreader

EXS 24 is rock solid. That's the best thing about it.

It now imports giga format. It's kind of early days for that import and not all the 'cool' giga program stuff comes across, but some of it does, even though there isn't a setting for it.

One example is key swtiching. Dan Dean Solo Violin lets you key switch between arco, pizz, trem and vib using the lowermost keys. But even though it works, you can't see 'why' ie There isn't a visible control panel for this stuff.

Also if you're using garritan strings for instance which has a switcher to go between up and down bow samples, that won't work automatically. Yet.

You can stream these samples off disk, no problem. I have mine streaming off a seperate firewire drive.

Other sample libraries are working very closely with Emagic to come up with a standard for all thisnew kind of sampler ability. Vienna Orchestra which has just come out has built in switching which will be taken into account on the next release of EXS24. This is a big deal, so I expect an update soon.

On another note, the editing of keygroups and samples on EXS24 is functional, but that's all. It hasn't got the whizz bang graphics of say Kontakt, or any drag and drop functionality, which is boring.

It's not a cpu hog though. I can run loads of instances in Logic and it doesn't seem to care.

The filter(s) are 'adequate'. If you want to go completely mental in dance music heaven, this is not the softsampler for the job.

If however you just want to play back the libraries you already have, EXS24 is great.

What you can do is use the EXS24 for simple chores, and use less instances of a more funky softsampler for the mad stuff.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot for the detailed information Bevvy B.

Have you ever/or do use Gigastudio?

Also have you heard the Sonic Implants string lib?- What would you say was the strongest collection(s) for strings on the market so far for a Giga PC sampler and for a Mac sampler such as EXS24?

Thanks!!!
Old 24th April 2003
Mindreader

Try and get a demo of Vienna library. One version has just been released without all of the performance features. Another is on it's way which is an upgrade path or you can buy both together and get on later. Apparently it's 'amazing' but I haven't heard it myself.

Garritan strings is out for Akai import, but it is far inferior in sound quality than Giga version. Of course the Giga version sounds great. But it sounds just as great coming out of EXS24, and you can mess around with the settings to give back the switching that the import left behind.

However no matter how good these things are I always end up putting a few live musicians on top to spruce it up. There is still no 'ultimate'. Just 'closer' when you're doing this orchestral mockery stuff.

I'm not really a huge fan of gigastudio software. I'm not a huge fan of EXS24 either. But EXS24 is built in and of course I never have to remember anything anymore 'cos the song loads it all back in.

As regards the sample libraries you just mentioned, never heard of em.
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Addict

If you're a Logic user, then the EXS is a no brainer - per BevvyB's in depth comments... One thing to add is that Logic's new ProjectManager also keeps track of all EXS instruments and samples, so when backing up a project, it will also back up your sampler instruments and samples. I personally enjoy having a unified environment where everything is "aware" of everything else. EXS is so integrated into the program, that it just 'feels' more stable.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kenn.michael
If you're a Logic user, then the EXS is a no brainer - per BevvyB's in depth comments... One thing to add is that Logic's new ProjectManager also keeps track of all EXS instruments and samples, so when backing up a project, it will also back up your sampler instruments and samples. I personally enjoy having a unified environment where everything is "aware" of everything else. EXS is so integrated into the program, that it just 'feels' more stable.
I'm PT but I'm looking at extending the way I combine working with logic.

http://www.sonicimplants.com/

check it out
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB

Garritan strings is out for Akai import, but it is far inferior in sound quality than Giga version.
In what way?
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Renie this is fighting talk!

I quote: "worth defecting pt for?"

I mean what kind of an idiot would consider ditching PT and moving to logic, or maybe a logic and samplitude combination?

BTW I just got a horrible fright when I realised that my evil plan has already hit a stumbling block...A g5 will not fit inside my specially trendy soundproof computer enclosure!

screams of agonised frustration etc etc
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sly
Renie this is fighting talk!

I quote: "worth defecting pt for?"

I mean what kind of an idiot would consider ditching PT and moving to logic, or maybe a logic and samplitude combination?

BTW I just got a horrible fright when I realised that my evil plan has already hit a stumbling block...A g5 will not fit inside my specially trendy soundproof computer enclosure!

screams of agonised frustration etc etc
Defect PT???!! That was a cwazy idea I had in April dear!

Shame about your dimensions problem.

Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

It will fit if I cut the handles off.

I think I need some rest.

J
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sly
It will fit if I cut the handles off.

I think I need some rest.

J
Don't lie down with your head in there - you'll go mad.
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Jack: mutters to himself, laughs maniacally and trips over, before starting to cry and crawling away stage L
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sly
Hey this is a little off topic but, Sly what kind of fan(s) did they put on your specially trendy soundproof computer enclosure? I'd like to take a crack at building my own, any info you could pass along would be welcome, if you don't mind that is.
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Head

8 Year Bump!!

Getting ready to jump into mac land. Is the ESX24 the best (user friendly, sound quality) sampler to use w/i OSX logic? Or are there other AU/VST samplers that work better w/ logic?

Opinions? thanks!
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Shore View Post
Getting ready to jump into mac land. Is the ESX24 the best (user friendly, sound quality) sampler to use w/i OSX logic? Or are there other AU/VST samplers that work better w/ logic?

Opinions? thanks!
Whilst I love the integration of EXS (which is part of the package) ... check the date... and possibly do a search?
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

I would say he did the right thing, and did a search, and got this old thread.

Good show. But, I know we're all concerned about clogging up the internet, but in this case, you can go ahead and create a new thread. Just tell 'em Larry from the interweb said it was OK.
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Opinions? thanks!
Gigastudio. Eveyone knows it sounds the best. Was a beta tester for two month on Mac before they folded.

Someone like Apple or NI should have bought it. No offense Gary, but they have so many collections.

Peace.
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Opinions? thanks!
EXS24 plays nice with Logic ie "convert to new sampler track". Unless you hate it I would stick with it and use the money for Redmatica's keymap pro/autosampler/pro manager depending on your needs.

If you plan to work with a lot of 3rd party samples Kontakt probably makes sense(this is why I have it installed). Kontakt is also more advanced, but this keeps me from using it.
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Nut

Vienna Ensemble Pro hosts Kontakt and any other sampler you desire. One of the better options for logic actually as you can keep the sequencer pretty responsive by hosting the samples outside.
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Head

Ok, thanks for the all the input. Does the EXS support drag and drop from the media tab or elsewhere?

I saw an EXS video of someone opening up a folder to load a sample, typing/renaming it, etc. It looked tedious. Ease of use is important for me, so drag, drop, make drum kit (for example) and record beat would be my ideal workflow. Is this possible?

Thx
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Head

I have a question similar to Donovan's, as I would like to move to Logic soon hopefully. It might be even the exact same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
EXS24 plays nice with Logic ie "convert to new sampler track".
So, let's say I have folders of drum sounds. In the media browser, I navigate to the snare folder, pick a snare, and with this "covert to new sampler track" option it will create an EXS24 with the snare sound on middle C? I like to keep each individual drum/perc sound on it's on midi track/region.

Long winded question, but any insight is highly appreciated.
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear
Kontakt 4 is great,but if you do have logic esx24 and ultra beats offer so much.I still use the emulator X3,its really phatt and don't forget emu synths so I'm on both PC and MAC.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Seriously the Mach5 looks like a toy when compared to Kontakt.

Go for Kontakt, nothing is even close to it.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear
It look simple but its actually a great sampler,with great effects.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

What I don't get is that if you have logic, you should have EXS as part of the package as I originally posted, so what do you think - is it enough? If you don't have logic, when you buy it you will get EXS - same logical endpoint. If you're disappointed, go to NI and look at Kontakt info - loads more sounds and clever scripts - I have both - EXS is indispensable as an integrated, elegant and very processor friendly part of logic and Kontakt is desirable/becoming indispensable for buying third party samples. Surely there's not much more to say given it's not an immediate either/or decision?
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

there is some au that loads gig files called gsampler ? honestly I can't remember. I don't see the point. Either convert it to Kontakt or ESX24. The only issues were with the performance patches with vsl but since they no longer use the file format, no point.

Kontakt is the best all round sampler and the scripting makes for quite a powerful app.
Reaktor is a great sampling tool for mangling sounds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search