The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Keyboard Modules
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

Keyboard Modules

Anyone's choice for best - most realistic acoustic piano/rhodes outboard modules and/or VSTs?
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

There are a couple of standalone piano module type boxes (look perhaps at the Kurzweil Micro Piano)??

I think that the best solution due to HUGE price drops over the past few years thanks to software sampling, is a standalone hardware sampler and a nice set of sample CD's.

I have an Akai S6000 and various sample CD's (Ultimate Piano Collection is still good).

I think the Akai S5000 is probably the best value for money right now as I have seen them at under $300 on eBay and they take 256mb RAM which ultimately allows for healthy sample loading.

Cheers
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi ... I think some of the best sounding pianos I have heard are in GIGA STUDIO ... I am on Mac and PC, but I think in general, GIGA STUDIO is a good investment if you are looking for a serious sample playback machine.

To use on Mac, I just convert the GIG file into a Kontakt file ... works pretty well. Or like many people do, they setup a dedicated GIGA STUDIO PC.

Regards,
Ian
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

The Kurzweil PC2r is pretty darn good for realism. There's an ROM card called classic keys that goes with the PC2 that has a truly great Rhodes though there are some pretty good ones in the internal sound banks as well.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

In hardware I would say nord electro, it´s a new one out now as well that I did not test.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Another

As for VSTi´s Lounge lizard is pretty good
Matti
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
There are a couple of standalone piano module type boxes (look perhaps at the Kurzweil Micro Piano)??

I think that the best solution due to HUGE price drops over the past few years thanks to software sampling, is a standalone hardware sampler and a nice set of sample CD's.

I have an Akai S6000 and various sample CD's (Ultimate Piano Collection is still good).

I think the Akai S5000 is probably the best value for money right now as I have seen them at under $300 on eBay and they take 256mb RAM which ultimately allows for healthy sample loading.

Cheers

I still have my old maxed out ASR10. Tho its great for traditional hip hop sampling, I never liked the piano sounds on it, even the big ones. I have to check out if they still make sample disks for it.
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound
Hi ... I think some of the best sounding pianos I have heard are in GIGA STUDIO ... I am on Mac and PC, but I think in general, GIGA STUDIO is a good investment if you are looking for a serious sample playback machine.

To use on Mac, I just convert the GIG file into a Kontakt file ... works pretty well. Or like many people do, they setup a dedicated GIGA STUDIO PC.

Regards,
Ian
Actually I am using SX/Kontakt now more than anything, because of the portability. How do you convert Giga files to Kontakt files??
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

CDXRACT is the easiest way Great tool for auditioning sample CD's, GIGA files etc ... and converting to different formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sane54
Actually I am using SX/Kontakt now more than anything, because of the portability. How do you convert Giga files to Kontakt files??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search