The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
File transfer over the net
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

File transfer over the net

I'm getting more and more work from remote locations, are there any IM/FTP programs that are easy, lean and provide fast file transfer?
i used msn and/or ftp clients.
what are you using?
Old 4th August 2005
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra

I just switched from WS_FTP to CuteFTP and am not looking back. Had way too many problems with WS_FTP. It was an older version.... so that may have been an issue but if you are on a Mac, you may want to look into Fetch.

If you want a killer deal for webspace.. www.dreamhost.com has a deal ending this month.

You get
2.4GB storage
120GB/Month bandwidth
600 emails
FREE domain registration
UNLIMITED domain and email forwarding
much much more......

i have 2 accounts with them so far.

When you go through the sign up process and you get to a point where it asks for a discount code.... use 777 and you will get 90% off so I think it is $9 and change for one year thumbsup

If you do sign up feel free to use my name as a recommendation 'thereal7' or register through this link:
http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?thereal7

if not, cool....but this is a killer deal either way and ends this MONTH
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

On my Mac I use a program called "Transmit". Great program.

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

Another big one on the Mac is "Fetch".

There are also some good freeware FTP programs for the Mac.

One is called "Cyberduck" believe it or not:

http://cyberduck.ch/

Cyberduck is really a pretty good FTP program, despite it's rather whimsical name.

Another is called "RBrowser" and you can find it here:

http://www.rbrowser.com/
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've used "Cyberduck" with good results.

If you ever find yourself in a bind and need some quick results w/o using an FTP program and/or IM client, you may find this useful...

http://www.yousendit.com/
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

WS-FTP doesn't look as pretty as CuteFTP. Download both and see which you like best. WS-FTP is perfectly stable and free.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Addict
Mac- Transmit
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Here's an alternative solution, a file transfer service. Someone else suggested this recently on this or another audio forum. I'm pretty sure there are a few other services like this around.

Dropload
Old 4th August 2005
I've used the upload/download file transfer service www.yousendit.com with some not-too-computer-savvy clients and it works great. It appears to be quite secure -- but if you're really concerned you can always encrypt your files, first.

It can take files up to 1 GB. And it's free.

(The only problem I've had was sending a big file from a client's G5. I used another Safari window to browse somewhere else -- against my client's expressed warning -- and we never got the 'upload completed' message -- just an 'eternal' progress bar. We sent it again, this time walking away from the computer completely for the duration, and everything was groovy. When I got home, both copies of the file were available to download, so it was just the 'mission accomplished' message that got skranked. I've had no problems using Firefox or IE on, you know, that other platform [not linux]. heh )
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Then there's theblue1 with the obligatory Mac dissings. Anywhere platform is of question...and I mean ANYWHERE. Care to talk about the new Mac mouse?...anyone?

Still gotta love the guy, very knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks all, i'm gonna look into the dropload thing.
Old 5th August 2005
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
Then there's theblue1 with the obligatory Mac dissings. Anywhere platform is of question...and I mean ANYWHERE. Care to talk about the new Mac mouse?...anyone?

Still gotta love the guy, very knowledgeable and helpful.
Yah yah. I think I said my sorries over there. This is a whole new thread to defile. heh

Hey. No one's gotta love me. And I don't expect or particularly want anyone to.

You know, I just reported my experiences. I didn't draw any conclusions in my post. I even went out of my way to avoid mentioning another, competing OS. And, really, it's never been my notion that there's anything particularly wrong with Safari. If it was available for other OS's, I would certainly install it. And my friend did warn me, which I ignored with a haughty laugh. But you can bet I was appropriately contrite for ignoring his imprecations.

If I were to draw conclusions from this single experience, however imprudent that might seem, it would be that there might be an issue using multiple Safari windows while uploading in one of them to yousendit.com (the site warns you against browsing away or clicking links in that window, of course).

What the story does, however, help confirm is that he who thinks, for sure, he knows someone else's computer better than its owner (platform notwithstanding) is asking for trouble.

BTW, severe, I hope you followed the link to the post I removed from the Mac mouse thread (where, yeah, virtually nothing I said belonged). It didn't belong -- but I didn't want to look like I was copping out when the factuality of my off-topic and thoroughly impertinent comments was questionned.

Coffee. I must have more coffee...

PS... I hope no one lets my endorsement keep them from checking out (free) www.yousendit.com -- which really is a very useful sight. Cheerio.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye B
thanks all, i'm gonna look into the dropload thing.
Here's another one. For $18/month you get unlimited transfer I think. A single transfer can be up to 2GB.

FilesDIRECT
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

All the above mentioned will do the trick.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've transferred some files over 500 MB using AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). It worked. Once you find something that works it's great. Always a bummer when you're 99% done with the file and it stalls or something.

I think using one of these services that doesn't require additional software is a lot easier than having clients configure ftp, etc... But whatever works.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, I'm finding that none of these online file transfer services have a Mac compatible progress window. Also, they charge a lot for small amounts of bandwidth. I did find one called MegaUpload.com that lets you transfer 250 MB free.

Another one that lets you transfer 60 MB for free is SaveFile.com . I can see that the file is uploading from my Mac because I downloaded Menu Meters, a network monitoring app. We'll see if it works.

After trying these out, I think FTP can be better. If you'll be doing a fair amount of transferring, it's worth $10/month. You get a lot more storage space and bandwidth, and FTP really is pretty simple.

I'm liking Yummy FTP client for Mac OS X.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks, i heard AIM is fast and reliable, i installed it just for this purpose..
any opinions on that, compared to, lets say, MSN messenger?
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

AIM works. File sending doesn't work with some of the third party AIM client software though.

On that subject, check this link out.

Teleporter X link
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

@jdunn, no mac here, so this won't work..
Pc alternative?
thanks!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think this person only writes software for the Mac. I haven't looked into PC file transfer solutions much. I mostly use the mac for internet duties.

FTP may still be king. These online file transfer services are funky! I say get your own space on an FTP server and be done with it!

These guys seem to have good prices.

AlterHosting LLC
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cool OS X Server

I set our studio up with a Mac OS X Panther Server. It acts as our FTP server and streams QuickTime movies of our reels. I support Transmit for Macintosh and WS_FTP for Windows.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search