The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Onyx 400F Firewire Interface
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Addict

Mackie Onyx 400F Firewire Interface

You can froogle it and it comes up (including at places like Sweetwater); but Mackie has no information on their website.

It looks interesting. If you don't need a lot of I/O's it could possibly contend with the Fireface (at half the price none the less). Anyone know about this thing besides the fact that it comes packaged with 4 Onyx pres?

I wonder what the A/D and D/A will be like....

Anyway, any information on this thing would be appreciated.

P.S. It looks sexy! Mackie seems to be making all the right moves with this Onyx line.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Well, according to the Mackie website, it uses the same converters as in the Digital X Bus. I also read a post on the Mackie forums, that they are working on a diver to allow multi interface support for OS's other than Tiger. It sure does look like a contender for the Fireface 800. I don't think they are actually shipping until October though, so it will be a bit before we get any real life impressions.

Micah
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

But a big question is whether or not Mackie will use the Wavefront Semiconductor Firewire chip called the "DICE 2."

check out:

http://www.wavefrontsemi.com

Some of the other Firewire implementations are not so hot. This DICE 2 chip may be the answer and all comers can buy it and use it. Wavefront is a spin-off/joint venture kind of deal between Alesis and TC electronics...I hear this is a really great Firewire chip.

In fact, I've been waiting for other companies to bring out boxes using this DICE 2 Firewire chip. They are comming because it's a hot chip.
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

Wonder if apogee is gonna use it.........
Old 24th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I am really thinking about picking one of these up...for the money it looks to be the way to go right now if you want 192kHz ... Just wish I could test it out first.
Old 6th September 2005
Gear Addict

Just to update, it's supposed to be shipping early October according to my rep at Sweetwater.

I have one reserved already, I'll be sure to do A/B tests with my Aardvark Q10 when I get it and let everyone know how it goes.

thumbsup
Old 6th September 2005
Gear Head

note:
Old 9th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by I play in a ban
Just to update, it's supposed to be shipping early October according to my rep at Sweetwater.

I have one reserved already, I'll be sure to do A/B tests with my Aardvark Q10 when I get it and let everyone know how it goes.

thumbsup
I put one on order awhile ago too but mine hasn't come in yet either...has anyone gotten their hands on one yet?
Old 10th October 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush
I put one on order awhile ago too but mine hasn't come in yet either...has anyone gotten their hands on one yet?

They should have shipped out Friday so you should be getting it this week at some point
Old 11th October 2005
Gear Addict

UPDATE: I expected to most likely recieve my 400F today via Fedex and when it did not arrive I called Sweetwater. Unfortunately they have not gotten them yet but say there is a good possiblity they should be there this week.

COME ON MACKIE, SHIP IT ALREADY ... people are going to move on to other options.

On the positive my rep told me that they have tried it out and it was running solid. thumbsup
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

Has it turned up yet?
Old 16th October 2005
Gear Addict

I think they should be shipping the 24th now..
Old 22nd November 2005
Gear Maniac

Did you guys get yours in ... the sales rep I talked to is now telling me that I have to wait 2-3 more weeks.... Do I need to buy somewhere else or is it just REALLY backordered?
Old 1st December 2005
Here for the gear

I got nothing. Now they say they don't know when they'll get them in. Their previous estimate was the 25th but that has come and gone.
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear Maniac
Hi there guys, I saw this thread on the 400F so I wanted to give a quick update on a couple of things:

1-It's true we have been very backordered, but supply is starting to catch up to demand, and we hope to have all existing orders cleared up in the next 2-4 weeks. We've been sending an average of a hundred units a week or so to dealers, in the past month, so more and more people have finally been getting their hands on one. We REALLY appreciate your patience, we know it's been a long wait.

2-Over on the harmony central forums. Craig Anderton is doing an online "pro review"

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...readid=1097071

that promises to get very into the unit's capaiblities, and I've been answering any questions that come up, in my capacity as the 400F's product manager. So, in encourage anyone who has any questions to visit that thread, it should be really cool.

Thanks very much!
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

Dan Steinberg, could you please update your profile / signature to show which company you represent?

thanks,
self.
Old 5th December 2005
Gear Maniac
Dan Steinberg, could you please update your profile / signature to show which company you represent?

No problem, I've updated my public profile to show that I am a product manager for Mackie (I helped design the feature set of the 400F and 1200F, as well as some other recent products over the past couple years).

I know people tend to worry that company employees are not the most "impartial" folks to sit and post about gear on a BBS like this, so I've tried to make sure to stick to answering questions on pre-existing threads on Mackie gear, and keep my answers as factual/impartial as posible. We are very proud of the stuff we're working on, but we don't want to be too pushy on a non Mackie BBS.

Thanks very much!
Old 25th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Well I picked one up from GC and after some initial fiddling it's working really well for me .. BTW GC had a few more in stock (in US) when I talked to them ..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search