The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
An Apple A day.........
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Maniac

An Apple A day.........

FYI.......
Do you believe in the future of Apple, I am starting to doubt it. I would think twice before continuing with Apple computers, and I have been using them for 17 years.
Watch for the last Apple to drop from the tree..........
Makoto

FYIlink
Old 22nd April 2003
Mindreader

With Cisco and Sun in that list not much to worry about really. Everybody sucks right now.

That list is about corporate greed anyway.

Problem is, if it wasn't for Steve Jobs going back to Apple we would all right now probably be using PC's already. How much is that worth? Hard to say.

Doesn't mean he's not a greedy bastard though. But as the article says, they used to be paid in stock options. So before the downturn that we're seeing, how much money were they making from options? I think far far more.

Sheesh. And here we are doing music.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Addict

I think June is going to be an interesting month. Things look somewhat gloomy now, but remember, with current Macs using the really slow Motorola chips, and the transition with OSX, it's a hard time for Apple. Once the new IBM 64bit chips and 64bit OSX are announced, the speed gap between Macs and PCs will close, and Apple's killer range of pro-apps (Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Shake and Logic) will be quite a powerful package. The Apple software (OS, iApps, etc..) is so strong, and all that is needed is for the hardware to catch up. Then, there will be some attractive machines to buy.
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Maniac

Hmmmmm.....Remember Claris Software?
Is Apple a software or a hardware company?
I agree if Job's had not returned Apple would not have survived, however I also am aware that to much diversification spell's big trouble for most companies. And I would think a computer company that holds only 3-5% of the market should walk a careful line. Music services, Apple/Amazon in the digital world. just my 2 cents.

2nd question....
I will ask again, if and when we see 64 bit CPU's will native systems equal and/or surpass host based systems. Pro Tools VS Nuendo, logic, etc....

I understand this is all speculation, But it might also be an educated guess....Take a shot, what do you think?
Makoto
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Addict

Think about 'clustering' XServes and using them as DSP chips for native systems like they are being used for film/video compositing in Shake. Once that happens there will be no limit as to how fast a native system can perform.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kenn.michael
Think about 'clustering' XServes and using them as DSP chips for native systems like they are being used for film/video compositing in Shake. Once that happens there will be no limit as to how fast a native system can perform.
Linux audio has the capability to do that already. There is a setup where you can use multiple CPU's to run FX and synths in an almost unlimited way. Makes the DSP power of PT look very small.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear