The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW software, best dual cpu support?
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

If you like Logic stay with Logic - switch to apple - Logic 7 can run do SMP on 1 Mac or use distributed processing through XRAID server farms (as many processors and fiber-optic channel cards as you can afford) .... It's all question $$... seems like overkill though.
Old 9th August 2005
Here for the gear

Wow. That's a pretty program. I'm using Sonar 4, but I might have to switch.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool Shallow

Hey Remo. You ain't just a kidding. It would make me nuts to see something like that. I've seen Cake walk, Sonar, Pro Tools and a host of others advertised exactly like that. It would make me totally nuts. And, anyway, I wouldn't even be showing any of those people that in the first place. (Why do they need to see it?) I'd just present the finished music. After all, isn't that what we have these great programs for in the first place?
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool PTW10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamus
Wow. That's a pretty program. I'm using Sonar 4, but I might have to switch.
Trrrry it. You'll like it. Does the same job in the final analysis. What makes your music sound good isn't the software but the hardware you use. Such as, mike, mixer, eq, etc. And it's simple to use. Anyway, it's the finished product that tells the tale, not the software.

I've used both Sonar and Powertracks to record myself singing. Sounded great on the Sonar system, but when it was finalized to a CD ... sounded exactly the same, no matter what I played it on. So it's all really a matter of personal preference, not software. Software is software. But outboard equipment ... well ... go figger.
Old 11th August 2005
Here for the gear

Manning1, I can't believe you're still doing this after getting kicked off HR for it. Now you're even resorting to lying about not knowing how your software works. Don't you get it yet? You're irritating people hijacking threads with spam and killing sales for pgmusic. Well I guess after telling you for 2 years you're never going to get it.

Best dual core support is over at Steinberg. Asus dual core motherboards are great. Keep away from VIA chips. That's all I know Just got a 4400+, yahoo
Old 11th August 2005
Here for the gear

So I should try it, eh? I'd love to except I've seen Manning in action at the HR website as well, and I've no desire to associate with PG. NY is dead on with his post.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild
""""i'm purely conjecturing that the move to multiple processors will probably introduce other issues/complexities that need to be addressed."""""

you are so right!

the biggest support call we get with a dual CPU system is
"ok now what, i have all this overhead and dont know what to do with it"

the next common,

""" ok this is just unacceptable... i dont know what to do.
i can now run 15 live monitored VSTi's @512 buffer
before i bought this computer i had to bounce everything to track. you have changed my work flow help me"""

Scott
ADK
I have a dual Opti system and I still run that thing pretty close to it's limits sometimes.
I am so impressed with my system, but with higher samples rates, soft sampler instruments, and other VSTi's and effects, it really taxes the system.
I'm starting to look at the new AMD's already. We'll see.
I'm really curious to see where the direction of high end PC processing is heading.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

winey....
i will not change my recommendations...because some people using other products get angry because i'm not recommending what they use or because some guy on the internet says so. My recommendations are based on my own independent testing and background in computer engineering and working in the computer industry for several decades.

over at HR the only thing i did was pop up to suggest to newbies they try powertracks.
and suggesting the money saved could be put to improving their mic preamp
and sound card signal chains etc. .....which i believe is the most important area
to address in a studio. (there are many others of course like monitoring and acoustic treatment etc.)
several open minded people then posted back they were impressed by the product.
just follow the threads if you dont believe me.
THEN the attacks started. and....i surmise complaints to the owner of the board.
maybe i impacted certain peoples livelihoods. i dont know.
but this could account for the nastiness which wasnt there before.

getting back on topic... i'm sure my analysis of dual processors will not make some people happy once again.
but my analysis at this time and performance testing indicates to me i wont be getting one soon.
unless maybe a dual opteron or amd 64 system.... once pricing ameliorates on these products. but EVEN THEN as your finding out these systems have their limts. because...in my opinion its going to take another generation of re-engineering computer architecture before us musicians get the kinds of seamless performance breakthroughs we desire.
peace.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

Well it really sounds like the real problem is the PROGRAM being a cpu hog Saw Studios supports dual processors but they are not needed IMO the resources used is VERY LOW .

So if you just want a big system to brag about I would go with 8 cpu's !!!

Also this processing time you guys are talking about what happened to REALTIME ?????? I've never had to deal with it

LAter
Buzz

Humm do you guys really have to wait for **** to happen ??? what a drag
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool Just my opinion

Hmmmm ... It would seem to me that, if you really want a good DAW why not blow your money on a good digital recording system. Yamaha, Roland, etc., etc., come to mind. You can pay $2000 for one of those and have a good system that just about rivals the big boys. Just about, I said. But if you want a system for your computer that rocks and doesn't cost much then shop around and try out the different demos on the web sites. I'm pretty sure you can download just about any music software you can think of and give it a try. It's all going to be crippleware but you just want to see if it can function like you want don't you?

Also, the money saving is a good aspect here. Let's face it ... if I can spend $50 or $500 and come out with the same finished product, well ... do the math. I would opt to spend the big money on some good outboard equipment.

I'm not going to mention any software names as it seems to offend some of the little minded who don't mind mentioning what they sell. So, for those of you who are looking for a good piece of software ... shop the web. It's everywhere.

Support is probably the number one thing after buying your software. You will want to buy from a company that fully supports what they sell. And see if the users of that software are helpful. There are many newbies who are trying to get started and don't know midi from mud. So you want help and support, plus some cool folks who will help you along with your product. So see if their forums are up to snuff.

My opinion. Others will vary, I'm sure.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool Try it?

Quote:
So I should try it, eh? I'd love to except I've seen Manning in action at the HR website as well, and I've no desire to associate with PG. NY is dead on with his post.
So you are saying that, just because some small minded people yell about this software, you would be afraid to try out a type of software? Huh! Try Traktion. It's a great software. Not too expensive. Pro Tools LE is a great product. Cheap too. (price I mean) Sonar is good. So is Cakewalk. Cubase is good but ... that dongle? No thanks. Not that good. Acid Pro is a great loopiing software.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish with your rig? What is to be the end result? Tell me something constructive you want to do and I, or someone else, may be able to help you.

Thanks.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool Lying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMorningstar
Now you're even resorting to lying about not knowing how your software works.

Best dual core support is over at Steinberg. Asus dual core motherboards are great. Keep away from VIA chips. That's all I know Just got a 4400+, yahoo
Would you please elaborate a little more clearly on the above? Please be specific and be ready to prove your point, other than raving.

2nd of all ... this is a discussion about dual processors, not software. Software comes into play simply because we are discussing how it reacts to a dual processor. In this thread we are all entitled to our opinions about software. But flaming doesn't get it. If you don't like it here please stay away and discuss your kind of software with someone of your mentality. Thank you.

Lastly, I fully agree with you about the VIA chips. We've discussed that one on another forum and those chips don't get along with music software very good. I don't know why that is. I'm not a computer engineer so I don't know the aspects of the way the MOBO looks at stuff.

And since you brought it up, are you using a dual processor right now? Do you have any experience with one? If you do then your input would be greatly appreciated here, no matter what software you are toting.

Oh ... And congrats on the 4400+
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Oh, wonderful. Manning and his butt-buddy Bull are back, once more to pimp their patheic software.

Note that of Bull's 27 emails, the vast majority are to back up his poor misunderstood friend manning.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

instead of going to full duallie madness you might want to try setting up two cheapish comps (each one say an a64 3200 with 1 gig ram) with gigabit ethernet and slap on FX teleport.
stick all your heavyweight synths/impulse reverbs on one compy and FX/small synths on the other. guaranteed more performance than the duallie....as for dual core duallie, whoa dude...thats just cool
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Head

Oh and as for Mr.Bull, manning and their PG schtick, please give us all a break.
take it to TV shopping channel or something...
Old 14th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bull
So you are saying that, just because some small minded people yell about this software, you would be afraid to try out a type of software? Huh! Try Traktion. It's a great software. Not too expensive. Pro Tools LE is a great product. Cheap too. (price I mean) Sonar is good. So is Cakewalk. Cubase is good but ... that dongle? No thanks. Not that good. Acid Pro is a great loopiing software.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish with your rig? What is to be the end result? Tell me something constructive you want to do and I, or someone else, may be able to help you.

Thanks.
I don't rememeber saying I needed assistance with anything. Merely a new person here checking out threads and bumping into good 'ol manning and the PG stuff (apparently the love for it here is just as strong as on HR.com ). I certainly don't want to get into that anymore here....I've seen enough at HR.com to last a life time. I did try out Powertracks, but I'm use to my workflow in Sonar and would see no reason to change. Anyway, enough about that.

I'm using Sonar 4 and accomplishing what I need to just fine. Is that constructive enough?

P.S. I guess I came in here kind of a smart ass, but I was just amazed when I saw all the same type "PG" posting going on in here.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool

Quote:
I don't rememeber saying I needed assistance with anything. Merely a new person here checking out threads and bumping into good 'ol manning and the PG stuff (apparently the love for it here is just as strong as on HR.com ). I certainly don't want to get into that anymore here....I've seen enough at HR.com to last a life time. I did try out Powertracks, but I'm use to my workflow in Sonar and would see no reason to change. Anyway, enough about that.

I'm using Sonar 4 and accomplishing what I need to just fine. Is that constructive enough?

P.S. I guess I came in here kind of a smart ass, but I was just amazed when I saw all the same type "PG" posting going on in here.

I'm like you. You don't need anything else. Sonar's a great program. For somebody just starting out, spending less is a better option. Then they could buy some great outboard gear.

Sorry if we seem too over inthusiastic about Powertracks. I've been using it since 96 when it only had two channels of audio, and absolutely no plugins. Man you talk about limited. But I was so uninformed about this stuff that it didn't matter. I was just trying to learn midi.

The thing is, if you have a great program and you're used to it then there is totally no use in making a change to anything. Unless the program you are using totally sucks to you, or is too complicated to understand, I say you should never change from what you are using.

Sonar and Powertracks are very much alike in operation. When I sat down at my brother in laws computer and started using Sonar for the first time I didn't have much to learn. The menus are a little different and it does do a heck of a lot more stuff than Powertracks as far as onboard bells and whistles. But I just want to produce a good sounding CD of the stuff I like to play. And the software I use will do that nicely.

Neither Manning nor myself work for Pgmusic. We don't sell the product to anybody. And I will not argue with anyone here on the merits of Powertracks versus ... whatever. But I would like to be able to mention the name of the product when I'm talking to someone here without getting my butt scortched off. I figure there are smart people on all these forums who can help me on some tuff stuff the guys on the Pgmusic forum can't. (Rare but it happens every once in a blue moon)

So if a newbie, or an oldie is looking for music software, and either of us mention ... you know who ... Just don't get sore at us. It's the stuff we use.

Now if we are interfering with a business here on this forum, like on zZounds Tweakheadz, where Richie, the webmaster also has a music business, (and a darned good one too I might add) then I do not bring up anything that is a competitor of his. That would be in bad taste. If this is the case here then please let us know that we're stepping on toes and we'll never bring up the subject again. That'll be hard to do since this is the only software we use. Wellll ... I also use GigaStudio as well. But PTW is my sequencer of choice. Sonar is yours and there is no doublt that Sonar is a great kick butt program.

So, can we all be friends now? thumbsup
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
Oh, wonderful. Manning and his butt-buddy Bull are back, once more to pimp their patheic software.

Note that of Bull's 27 emails, the vast majority are to back up his poor misunderstood friend manning.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.
Emails? Ya lost me man. Oh you mean posts. Yeh I guess I did do that didn't I? Sorry if it offended you. And thanks for your input.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

mikebuzz...
the reason why batch processing of fx is important to me is purely to test out
new computer architectures like dual cores. ....the idea being to try and strain any computer architecture. by timing how long a new computer architecture
takes to do a process like pitch shift or eq on a big track is an important consideration.ie... - a stress test. for example i will be doing the same tests on dual amd 64's.
if they beat the intels....this will tell me....getting back to your intelligent point on real time plug ins that if the dual amd 64 cores beat the dual intel cores in pitch shift timing then this will translate into the ability to run more real time plug ins probably. ....which is what a lot of us musicians are interested in. because i run real time plug ins too.
for example if system x does pitch shift on a 3 minute track in 4 seconds while
system y does it in 20 seconds this tells me that system x will be able to run more real time processes than system y.
and these batch processing tests i run give me info on how other processes might perform.
another test to cut through the hype is to compile computer program source code on a system. for example take a 20,000 line source computer program and compile it.
on both system x and y. whichever compiles the fastest is the system i would consider purchasing.

by the way mike ....if you read my back posts over the past year....youll see i agree with bob lentinis assembler approaches with saw...and many of the things he says...and have tons of respect for his brilliant software engineering work.
particularly the fact he squeezes so much functionality for audio work into a lean footprint. this is one of the benefits of using assembler low level coding techniques.
Old 14th August 2005
Here for the gear

Cubase SX 3.1 now includes support for Steinberg’s optional Dolby Digital and DTS Encoder plug-ins, opening these world-standard formats to all Cubase SX users. Additional processor optimization means that Cubase SX/SL 3.1 supports not only Mac and PC multiprocessor systems but also the latest AMD and Intel DualCore processors as well as Hyperthreading and DualCore over dual processors. This puts the considerable performance increases these technologies allow fully within the grasp of professional musicians and producers using Cubase SX and SL.

Further additional new mixing features in Cubase SX and Cubase SL include a new “Equal Power” panner, a new set of mixer key commands and extended copy functions for mixer channels. MIDI output delay compensation means that proper timing is maintained even when using external MIDI instruments that are mixed through the VST audio mixer. “Freezing” of MIDI track playback parameters allows quick and easy rendering of playback parameters into MIDI data.

By the way manning1, if anyone reads your "back posts over the past year" they'll certainly find you've been throwing "The Bull" for quite awhile fuuck
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Head

Thumbs down

Quote:
Cubase SX 3.1 now includes support for Steinberg’s optional Dolby Digital and DTS Encoder plug-ins, opening these world-standard formats to all Cubase SX users. Additional processor optimization means that Cubase SX/SL 3.1 supports not only Mac and PC multiprocessor systems but also the latest AMD and Intel DualCore processors as well as Hyperthreading and DualCore over dual processors. This puts the considerable performance increases these technologies allow fully within the grasp of professional musicians and producers using Cubase SX and SL.

Further additional new mixing features in Cubase SX and Cubase SL include a new “Equal Power” panner, a new set of mixer key commands and extended copy functions for mixer channels. MIDI output delay compensation means that proper timing is maintained even when using external MIDI instruments that are mixed through the VST audio mixer. “Freezing” of MIDI track playback parameters allows quick and easy rendering of playback parameters into MIDI data.

By the way manning1, if anyone reads your "back posts over the past year" they'll certainly find you've been throwing "The Bull" for quite awhile fuuck
Dang! I believe he's selling Cubase SX on here. Talk about hypocrytical.
Old 14th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Dang! I believe he's selling Cubase SX on here. Talk about hypocrytical.
Hypocrytical? I'm sorry, I thought this was about the best dual cpu support.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Head

Cool

Quote:
Hypocrytical? I'm sorry, I thought this was about the best dual cpu support.
It is. But you are selling Cubase SX on here. You will be banded!! Now let's get this straight. You can blow your mouth off about Sonar, Cubase, etc., etc., ad nauseum but nobody is to mention ... that other product You are doing exactly what you accused Manning of. So, how do we split the hairs, eh? Here's how we do this. You want to mention Cubase SX? I want to discuss Powertracks Pro. You want to discuss your love. I want to discuss mine. Therefore, let's get off the childish name calling and get down to actually helping one another. I don't really care what you like. It's yours to like. And what is mine to like is miine. There is no uneven ground here. I would advise you to follow your own advice and never mention/sell that software on here again ... or just learn to understand that there are always going to be differences of opinion in this world whether you like it or not. Doesn't make the least bit of difference to me what you like. But I will respect it if you respect mine. You don't want us hawking, if you will, Powertracks. Well. I don't want you hawking Cubase SX or any other software, that you think is so nifty, here either. Fair enough?
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Agreed. DP support in Logic is exceptional as well if you want to go the Mac route.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Apple "Recording deal." Promo

Just an FYI for anyone interested in getting Logic Pro, there's an Apple promo right now, purcahse a Power Mac or Power Book and Logic Pro and save $500 USD. That's getting Logic Pro at half price thumbsup

http://www.apple.com/promo/logicpro/
Old 15th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here's how we do this.
No need to be . Everything is . I'm sorry that you're , maybe you've taken too many 's on the head. Shame tutt on you.

Quote:
I want to discuss Powertracks Pro. But I will respect it if you respect mine. You don't want us hawking, if you will, Powertracks.
You made it all pretty clear right there. I didn't even know what hawking was and had to ask. That's like headhunting right? Well since you're headhunting and seem to be doing all of manning1's HR maybe you should go back and read the rules here:

Discovery of alternate identities and trashing strategies will result in an instant BAN from the site
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Head

Manning thank for the reply , I've never had to do post processing of FX ? so my expirience is 0 in this area . I agree any system can be tested for speed by performing bit crunching/time tests.

I ran into Saw by chance after looking at several different packages/recordin systems ( Logic , PT , DP , Sonar Radar lidar etc. the one thing that attracted me to Saw was the SUPPORT !!! by far the best in the business.

I havent been here long enough to have seen your posts regarding Saw so ???

Anyhow thanks for the feedback

Saw supports tcp/ip interfacing to link multiple computers together as well as multi processors .

Later
Buzz

PS: and theres no dongle/Ilok bull****
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No need to be . Everything is . I'm sorry that you're , maybe you've taken too many 's on the head. Shame tutt on you.

You made it all pretty clear right there. I didn't even know what hawking was and had to ask. That's like headhunting right? Well since you're headhunting and seem to be doing all of manning1's HR maybe you should go back and read the rules here:

Discovery of alternate identities and trashing strategies will result in an instant BAN from the site
Actually, if I were all of you, I would just ignore Bull. It's obvious he's only here to defend his butt-buddy Manning. He has no cred at all.
Old 15th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
Actually, if I were all of you, I would just ignore Bull. It's obvious he's only here to defend his butt-buddy Manning. He has no cred at all.
Sounds like sound advice to me.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
NYou made it all pretty clear right there. I didn't even know what hawking was and had to ask. That's like headhunting right? Well since you're headhunting and seem to be doing all of manning1's HR maybe you should go back and read the rules here:

I don't think you know what much of anything is. If you didn't know what hawking was then you're just a kid. That would explain the outbursts and raves. Headhunting is job searching. Sheeeesh! Didn't you learn anything in school? Ok. I guess you dropped out of school. Yeh I know who you are.

Ok. I've read the rules and from the start you have broken them all. Flaming is one of them and so far all you've done is flame since you started coming on here. Most of the people here are good people. Apparently you slipped through the cracks. And you are, and probably always will be, a hypocrite. I've read all your posts against Pgmusic and Manning and you have not been able to back up one thing you say. You and your twin on here. It seems it's just the two of you who start trouble. If I were the moderator I would ban you from here. I think that 99.99% of all the people here are super good. I've run into a few from Tweakheadz. I didn't see any of your kind on there.

Morning Glory, I think you are in love here and are just acting like a foolish love sick puppy trying to get someone's attention. You and frazzle. You should be ashamed of yourselfs. You are bad bad boys. Goto your corner and don't come out until you've grown up about 10 years. tutt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search