The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FW RAID problems
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

FW RAID problems

So I did a session this weekened at my house (my first using DP) and I was having insane problems. I was only recording 8 tracks of drums and 3 scratch which I figured my 1.25 powerbook could easily handle using my new FW800 external raid. I've recorded as much with my internal 4200rpm drive using Cubase SX 1.6 without any problems so when things started going wrong I figured DP was just a little more CPU hungry (which I still think it is). Anyways, after a lot of messing around trying to locate the problem I discovered that there was something weird with the drive. Its worked fine in the past for normal hard drive tasks and its extremely fast but I'd never recorded with it. DP and Protools LE crapped out when trying to record/playback from it but did just fine with my internal drive so I'm at a loss. Is there something special I am forgetting or what?

Its this case,

http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_...c31b869f046387

and I have two 200gb 7200rpm maxtors in a RAID-0. I know its risky to use a RAID-0 for audio but I'm backing up after each session. Mainly just got this drive for the speed.

Mark
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

If it were a PC I would be telling you to look at possible IRQ conflicts or other shared resources between your soundcard & firewire interface...

Alternatively, are you using a firewire recording device? you might simply be running out of bandwidth on the firewire... are you daisy-chaining devices? does your powerbook have 2 firewire ports? do these each have a controller or is it effectively 1 controller & a hub?

Anyway I'll wait for a reply before I make anymore silly suggestions/observations

Matt
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

btw, I use SATA RAID0 for speed... albeit internal & off an intel ICH controller, but still, enough channels of audio in & out and it starts to become a necessity.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut

I had the same suspicion, so I tried my firewire interface through a PCMCIA firewire controller to test it and it didnt change. I also got out the MBOX just to be sure and it did the same thing.

After things started going wrong I used disk utility to verify the disk and it failed. I tried the repair in disk utility and it failed as well. Afterwards I tried to just back it all up and format just to find that most of the data corrupted. I dont know if it was messed up to begin with or I messed it up by trying to repair it but I'd really like to know if its my fault or just another hard drive accident.

Mark
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Maniac

If you ever have that sort of problem with a HDD in an external USB/Firewire enclosure dont screw up your data, or assume that it is lost.

Pull the enclosure apart & stick the HDD in the machine (on in another enclosure), you will most likely find the problem was in the USB/Firewire interface. Another enclosure would be your only option in this case, as it was a RAID set.

Is it too late?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search