The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AAAARGH!!! Hard Drive crash
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

AAAARGH!!! Hard Drive crash

So I started working on a clients project today and started hearing a clicking noise every so often. As it turns out, the 40-gig wave-drive is pooping out and it's 3/4 full of clients material. Trying to access it through Explorer I get sporadic results - sometimes full access - sometimes 'Cant Access Drive'. I quickly shut it down and read a couple internet articles about data recovery. The most important thing is to do full backups (too late), and to remove drive as soon as it starts acting up (did that).
So, have any of you been through the data-recovery process? And if so, how did you fare? I'm looking at local recovery centers
(there are only 2 in the Twin Cities area) and wondering what kind of results are expected. I'm hoping since the drive isn't totally dead and I don't hear grinding noises (I guess that's worse case scenario) I might make it out with just an expensive lesson learned.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Sorry this isn't really advice, but I have to say it .......... good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd August 2005
hi jchas..

a friend of mine does professionally datarecovery from harddrives..

here is the link:
www.pmtstudios.com

his name is Tik (he is an american) so please contact him in english.

hope that works!
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Thank You Gearslutzer. I am certainly open to any and all help. jchas
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

have you tried to ghost the drive, or Xcopy?
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisWu
have you tried to ghost the drive, or Xcopy?
From what i've read about the problem - the clicking is due to the head bouncing against the disc - the more it clicks - the more chance of losing data. To do a full copy it would have to run for quite a while and could lose even more info. I've just started calling for quotes for a rebuild. I'm willing to bite the bullet if I can afford it - if not, I will try the Xcopy.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Is this on PC or Mac??

If it is on a mac, be sure you try Disk Warrior.

I just got back most all files yesterday after having a hardware failure on a severely damaged disk with my laptop drive (clicking as well). My drive was a mess. I was sure I had already lost everything. Yesterday was a happy day in that regard.

In my opinion, if you are getting the drive to spin up at all, I would still pull things off of it as fast as I could. The more it's on and off, the more it can be damaged. I understand your concern of damaging it more, but I would just go for it when it spins up and be done.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
Is this on PC or Mac??
It's PC - and after a few calls i might have to try it. So far it sounds like $1000-$2000 big ones.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

If your HD is only 40gig, then Xcopy wouldn't take very long... and if you are still able to use it, albeit in a limited fashion, I'd try to Xcopy it. Here's a page that everything you need to know about Xcopy....

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...-us/xcopy.mspx
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Addict

If you wanna try yourself, use EasyRecovery Professional from Ontrack. If you want a professional company recover your data, try Rorke.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your HD is only 40gig, then Xcopy wouldn't take very long... and if you are still able to use it, albeit in a limited fashion, I'd try to Xcopy it. Here's a page that everything you need to know about Xcopy....

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...-us/xcopy.mspx
Well, I recovered 66 0f 2,404 files on my own - not very productive but worth a try I guess. A place called EcoData has a flat-rate of $775 for recovery. I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

thats too bad.. I have a writer friend who recently lost 8 years of work, however this is because he tried to add the wrong kind of ram to his computer... $2000 later, nothing.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
thats too bad.. I have a writer friend who recently lost 8 years of work, however this is because he tried to add the wrong kind of ram to his computer... $2000 later, nothing.
Ouch!!! I didn't get hit that hard. We had backed up 6 months ago when we updated the computer. Unfortunately the new computer was 1-power cable short of a 3-drive system so we 'temporarilly' went without the backup drive. An expensive lesson to be sure. I just picked up a new drive to replace the crapped-out one as well as a 300-G USB drive for backups. Better late than never I guess.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

GRC SpinRite http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Worked for me for a bust up floppy... dunno what it will do for a clicky hard drive...

8 years... sheesh, that is harsh.

Why doesn't everyone just run two hard discs these days, they are SO cheap now... copy + paste and you are backed up, or set some automated procedure to do it.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Every time I change a mix, I just blow the .wavs and the edits and automation to a DVD/R or two. {SONG} - MIX {1,2,3,4,5,6... }

20 minutes later, voila.

Bloody cheap, considering.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

ok, you're going to be VERY skeptical of this...

seal your hdd in a static bag, airtight (to prevent moisture).

put it in the freezer overnight.

while it is still VERY cold quickly put it into a computer or an external USB/Firewire HDD bay..

Copy all of your data off...

This is something we do in the workshop often, we've never had a good explaination of why it works... but we know from experience that it does.

This is NOT work when a HDD is completely dead from; seizure, blown motor or head drive circuitry, other blown circuitry, broken wires to the read/write heads, etc. But it will most likely aid in the retreival of the data from your drive with the problem you are describing.

Should you manage to get a good portion of your data off (I suggest copying folder-by-folder), and it starts to play up again, repeat the process and begin copying from where it left off in the previous attemp. If it continually fails on a particular file/folder, ignore it until you have got the rest of the data off, then return to it.

After you've completed this process; if the drive is still under warranty, have it replaced. If the drive is out of warranty throw it in the bin!

At this point you *could* attempt to low-level format, then partition and format (slow format, checking for bad sectors)... but I would not recomend you ever use it for sensitive data again.

Just my 2c, do with it what you will...
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Nut

This won't help you since you're on PC, but I figured I'd mention for any lurkers that DATA RESCUE X has recovered my data numerous times. Free demo and cheap buy. It recovered data when no other tool could (and believe me, I tried them all). In fact, now I gotta try it again on my Lacie which crapped out yesterday due to whacked M-Audio 410 (loaned by a friend for a few days to try out while my motu is in the shop). Hopefully DataRescue will work again...
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

i just did the freezer thing two weeks ago on an old, clicking 40gb Maxtor drive that suddenly decided to not boot anymore. There were a few sites that said "clicking/non-booting drives" couldn't be helped by freezing, but I decided to try anyway. It worked like a charm the first time I tried it.

I left it in a food bag overnight in the refrigerator freezer. Popped it out the next day, installed it into the pc while still cold, turned the power on, it booted right up. I then moved all the files I needed to dvd and across the network to other pcs. After an hour or so of moving files off the bad drive, I shut down the pc and took the drive back out. I left it on one of the desks here a few days and then put it back in the pc to see if it would boot. It wouldn't. No problem at that point. I was a little curious if re-freezing it would make it boot again, but I don't really have the time to make the experiment and like I say, the files are now rescued anyway.
Old 10th August 2005
Lou Judson
Backup backup backup!
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Nut

probable a dumb remark (like always) , but did you tried scandisk / fdisk?
saved my but a few times(I'm a software engineer)

Thera are a few (comercial) tools for datarecovery (names slipped my mind)
Remco
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well bernieLOmax and the noodle - I LOVE you guys. I owe you a beer and a
big wet kiss (will you settle for 2 beers?).
I did what you said and it worked great. I copied over 1/3 of the files before it
started clicking like mad - refroze it and started again. The second session I got
almost the rest of the files copied. So far i've got 2002 of 2440 files moved and
will freeze her overnight and finish tomorrow. I've gotten a half dozen bad files
so far but they were all during the clicking stage so I will try them again with a
freshly frozen drive. I'm currently backing everything to a USB 300G-drive that I
picked up yesterday. I was all ready to sell my second car to fund the recovery
(somewhere between $1000 and $2000) but now I might just buy myself some
new gear. Gearslutz Rock.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Maniac

beer? I like wet kisses! heh

what a shame you're on a different continent
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Wouldn't it be a hoot if you could look in the window of all those high price data recovery services and all you see are rows of refrigerators.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I was thinking the same thing last night -
"Clean Room" is actually an Amana or Fridgidare

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search