Latency problems : Nuendo 2 and Mac
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Head

Latency

I'm running
Old 1st August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg
I'm running Nuendo 2 on a Mac G5 DP 2.0.
When tracking, I'm caught in a latency dilemma. The computer performs well when the buffer (in the VST multitrack set-up) is set to 512 samples. However, for tracking and overdubs when the clients have to monitor the current performance through headphones, that setting provides too much latency for comfort (especially on a vocal or drum).

When I set the buffer to 256 or 128, I have a bigger problem - I start to get 'popping', sometimes just in the monitoring, sometimes recorded to the audio track itself. Obviously this is unacceptable. (But the talent loves the less latency).

Watching my Mac's 'Activity Monitor', I only seem to be using about 50% of the CPU power. Is there any way around this, or is there something else wrong here? (Or have I just been saying 'digital sucks' for too long??)
What sound card are you using? I'm curious because I have a similar set-up as you and I'm generally able to record audio with a 192 buffer (using my Fireface 800 w/ Cubase SX 2). It seems like you ought to be able to at least record at 256 without any popping. It may be that you have more plug-ins loaded (reverbs especially) which is causing you problems. If that's the case you might consider turning off a few reverbs while making the recording. I generally use a couple of Steinberg reverb sends while tracking and then change my reverbs to Powercore stuff once I'm to the mixing stage.

I also generally track using the direct monitoring from my soundcard and not through Cubase. If I want to hear reverb or delay while tracking I turn the fader on the channel all the way down, but have a reverb or delay send set to pre-fader, and this gives the best of both worlds: nearly zero-latency with direct monitoring, mixed with the reverb produced by Cubase.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search