The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Mini (v.2009) for Logic-based project studio
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Mac Mini (v.2009) for Logic-based project studio

Well, despite my feeling that the Mini is a bit under-powered and over-priced, and despite a few unanswered questions (see below)... I've ordered one!

So this thread is less of a question per se and more of a place where I'll post my experiences - so watch this space to see how I get on, and feel free to add your Mac Mini (v.2009) experiences with Logic in your studio too!

I went for the fully-specced out model, 2.26MHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD - it should arrive next week!

After reading lots about the new Apple Cinema display I remain unconvinced that this is a significant upgrade from the Aluminium Cinema I have here, for serious applications other than watching TV, so I'm keeping my 20" Cinema for the time-being and seeing what happens. This is also one reason I'm steering clear of the ostencibly much better value and faster iMac, along with my inherent resistance to tying all my resources up in one box; I like the idea of separates, indeed I couldn't be considering this box-upgrade now if I'd gone for an all-in-one 4 years ago.

My main concerns about the Mini are:

1. Is the Mini going to be dead quiet on my desk?
2. Can I pass FW400 through my Cinema Display using the display's bespoke cable, which thus far is very useful as a hub?
3. I would have preferred a 7200rpm drive option, but this isn't available on the Mini (on the flip side I've heard it increases fan activity)
4. There's a bewildering array of display adapters and options now chez Apple - Mini seems especially blighted by this, although it will never be a problem if I continue using Apple Displays as I have always done
5. Graphics card isn't as cool as the one on the iMac - dunno if this will affect performance
6. Slightly worried by reports that Migration Assistant is dodgy when going PPC >> Intel (couldn't I do this using Time machine?)
7. Also concerned that FW800 >> FW400 limits chaining to 2 devices - right now I'm chaining 4 devices (2x MH and 2x HD's) with no problems at all

I have to say that cash played a big part in my decision what with the credit crunch and all. Once I decided to keep my (not so) old Cinema Display and peripherals, the Mini comes in at 1/3rd of the price of anything else I'd want so I'm just going for it for now. I also still like the idea of keeping screen and CPU separate, even though the all-in-one models are much better value and very appealing.

I've also decided to keep my perfectly serviceable 12" PB for on-the-road recording as it still works perfectly reliably and does the job I need it to, ie location recording and basic on the move internet etc. Logic 8 is a bit heavy on it so I will probably just use the bullet-proof Metric Halo record panel which removes the need for 3rd party DAW simply for recording. Alternatively I might actually re-install Logic 7 on it which was perfect.

I only buy a new Mac every 4-5 years - I hope I've made a good decision! In any case I am upgrading from the 5-year old laptop system below so it's a pretty serious jump for me - I think I will be in Logic heaven quite soon, free from the curse of eternal freeze!
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Addict

Hi James,
I've been using the last-gen Mini for years, and just picked up a new one for my home theater. Here are my experiences:

1) I've found the new Mini to be dead silent while it's streaming 1920x1080 HDTV, which used to eventually cause my old machine's fans to kick on.
2) No experience here.
3) In the near future I'm going to buy NewerTech miniStack drives for both machines. I don't know if the second mechanism will be more or less quiet than a 7200rpm internal + more fan noise.
4) At the moment I'm using the included mini DVI to DVI, with a DVI-HDMI cable going into a 46" Samsung with no problems.
5) So far, the graphics card has been head and shoulders above the old Intel GMA.
6) I'd never migrate from PPC to Intel again. I did it from my TiBook to my MBP and had problems until I reformatted. Personally, I rebuild my machines manually- it's a good chance to trim down what's installed, since I wind up trying/testing a lot of software.
7) Not sure about this.

I've had no issues running 16+ track Logic Pro sessions with SpectraFoo inthe background while doing full resolution screencast recordings. The older Mini is my Metric Halo production machine. We got it so that I could record better tutorial movies, since my MacBook Pro's fans would kick on at the most inopportune times…

I think the Intel Minis have gotten a bad rep for performance. While it certainly doesn't come close to an 8 core MacPro, I've never had a problem with it getting the job done. It also ran soundBlade and PMCD flawlessly.

Best,
Allen
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

James multiple minis hear you will have no worries!
My only advice is listen to everything Allen said!
Old 8th May 2009
Lives for gear

Mini has arrived! thumbsup

I was up and running within 25 minutes of this thing landing on my desk!

So I'm going to answer my own questions here:

1. Is the Mini going to be dead quiet on my desk?
YES! Much quieter than any of the drives I possess.

2. Can I pass FW400 through my Cinema Display using the display's bespoke cable, which thus far is very useful as a hub?
Not tried this - have devised an alternative (and better) Firewire chain (see below)

3. I would have preferred a 7200rpm drive option, but this isn't available on the Mini (on the flip side I've heard it increases fan activity)
Can't comment on this yet.

4. There's a bewildering array of display adapters and options now chez Apple - Mini seems especially blighted by this, although it will never be a problem if I continue using Apple Displays as I have always done
Yes - no problem at all, uses exactly the same adapter as my old PB 12" so just plug and play. I ordered a Mini DisplayPort >> VGA adapter just so I have it lying around in case.

5. Graphics card isn't as cool as the one on the iMac - dunno if this will affect performance
Can't comment on this yet. Seems zippy so far - not installed any massive 3D games yet (although neither am I likely to!)

6. Slightly worried by reports that Migration Assistant is dodgy when going PPC >> Intel (couldn't I do this using Time machine?)
Just to be safe I did a clean OS-X install and reinstalled some software (iWork, Logic, MIO Console). Put my old PB 12" in Firewire Target Mode and dragged the rest over easily. For me this is now really only: Address Book, Bookmarks, Documents, Music, iWeb Domain file, Photos, Movies, Logic Library

7. Also concerned that FW800 >> FW400 limits chaining to 2 devices - right now I'm chaining 4 devices (2x MH and 2x HD's) with no problems at all
I've decided I'm going to take my Time Machine disk out of the Firewire chain and run it off USB2 from now on

So my new Firewire chain is:
FW800 Mac Mini >> FW800 La Cie Drive >> FW400 MH2882 >> FW400 ULN-2

I was mistaken in thinking that adding a FW400 device to a FW800 chain lowers the overall speed of the bus. According to Metric Halo this is not the case - in my chain the Mini communicates with the Drive at FW800 speeds, and the drive is linked to the 2882 at FW400 speed.

EDIT: One thing though: The DVD drive is very noisy! I mean really unreasonably loud when a disc is spinning in there. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 8th May 2009
Lives for gear

James Lehmann
if i got a mini ...heres how i would use it.
1. i would use mainly midi traks driving external midi modules.
(instead of useing processor taxeing synth plug ins.)
(eg check out roland sonic cel, ketron sd2, and many used
midi modules you can find often for as low as 50 buks.)
the beauty of midi traks driving external midi modules...
is they place minimum load on a system.
i bet on that mini you could do a slew of midi traks.
and achieve dense song mixes.
you just need a cheap line mixer to mix the audio from the external
midi modules and then record as an audio trak.
(you would need a midi interface of course also.)
this is the way folks used to do things in the 80's decade when
systems were puny by todays standards.
ie lots of midi traks.
in summary i would keep audio traks mainly for the upfront lead traks.
eg vocals whatever.
2. its my understanding you can add an external 7200 rpm drive.
eg mini stack ?? . i would talk to mac add on sellers.
eg Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC
and see what they say. so if were me i would look at that option.
preferably a 7200 rpm drive with 32 mb cache.
you could also look at putting a regular 7200 rpm drive in a drive enclosure kit for example.
i notice one drive enclosure kit i got for my pc says for mac too.
but check all this out mate. n see whats possible by talking to mac add on sellers.
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Nut

Any more experiences to add?

I'm especially curious about Logic's performance on the Mini.

Have you done the multicore benchmark test?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...hmarktest.html

Any info you can add would be welcome.
Old 20th May 2009
bounce for potential mini buyer

hello wise folks,

i've been lurking for a while and i've been eyeballing the latest mini (2ghz) upgraded to 4gb RAM,

to sit above my ministack that is currently plugged between...
a powerbook g4 running PTLE6.9/LogicExpress/Reason3 and
a digi 002 rack plugged into other goodies.

so i'm interested in this thread and wondered if there is a gotcha in my planned for setup?

for instance, isn't digi002 FW400, meaning i couldn't plug mini to 002 directly, or does the 800 port on the mini step down to 400 when needed?

thanks, i look forward to posting more often.
ezzy
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezraz View Post
does the 800 port on the mini step down to 400 when needed?
Yes it does - that's exactly what I'm doing when transferring files over from my old Powerbook.
Old 20th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted76 View Post
Any more experiences to add?
Yes! Sent the darn thing back!

The noisy DVD-Drive issue I refer to in my second post was totally unacceptable so back it went. First time I've had to do that in 20-odd years of Mac use! To be fair, one phone call and Apple sent a replacement out immediately no questions asked, and the courier company collected the duff model. FWIW the bad DRD-drive was an OPTIARC. On the Apple Forums a few folks are reporting similar issues with this drive. My replacement Mini has a Pioneer DVD Drive which sounds several orders of magnitude quieter and healthier! My DVD drive in the first Mini was definitely seriously defective.

Anyhoo... all this means I've only just got around to having 4 hours free to install all 42GB of Logic Studio! Will do some tests over the next few days, but they will be on my own stuff not hypothetical benchmarks, sorry.

One thing I can report on already - this is one seriously quiet Mac! I am used to building soundproof enclosures for my previous Macs, whereas I think this one will be fine just sitting on my desktop. This is really good news.

I really do like the Mini footprint and format: gives new meaning to the words 'drop-in replacement'.

One word of caution, particularly to those using non-Apple screens, which will by default be a lot of Mini users - 10.5.7 seems to be causing some serious screen resolution issues according to a slew of Apple Forum posts. My advice to anyone reading this is not to upgrade from 10.5.6 yet until they've sorted this out.
Old 21st May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted76 View Post
I'm especially curious about Logic's performance on the Mini.
OK. Ran some preliminary tests in Logic by loading up some old songs...

I can only evaluate how the Mini compares to my old Powerbook 12" - I can't comment on the relative performance of the Mini vs other Mac models, sorry.

The first thing I did was switch the I/O Buffer size in Logic to 32 samples as opposed to the 512 I was used to running at! The Mini never missed a beat and suddenly all my MIDI instruments are totally playable in realtime, monitoring out and back through the Metric Halo interfaces very responsively indeed. Cool. Call me old school but I still employ a lot of MIDI synths in my productions. Oh, and the Emagic amt8 works fine too, as expected - just be sure to click on the right box under the 'Hardware' category when you install Logic so the drivers get installed.

Songs which completely maxed out the PB CPU are registering about 1/3 of one of the Mini's Dual Core processors - nice!

HD meter barely registering but this was hardly an issue before with my old set-up - even at FW400 my La Cie 7200rpm Extreme drives have never been a bottleneck and can capably run dozens of tracks simultaneously.

The graphics remain extremely zippy while a complex song is running. As it should be.

The Mini's fan has come on but it's extremely quiet and not distracted me at all, and the unit is really quite close to my ears and my monitors. I'm very fussy about this, believe me I'd notice if I felt it was an issue. I have never understood folks even in big studios who seem to be able to work with a large G5 or Mac Pro grinding away noisily on the floor under their mixer. I demand silence in the studio and the Mini gets very close.

Seems like one by one the apprehensions I laid out in the first post are turning out to be non-issues. Thus far I conclude that the new Mini looks like a thoroughly capable machine for running Logic Studio, at least for my mid-level needs.

I swear all my tracks sound better too! Just kiddin'! heh
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting your info. I've been considering a Mac mini as well to use
as my main studio computer and keep my Macbook for other tasks. I too was
concerned about the fan noise but it seems this is not an issue. I already have
an Apple keyboard and a mouse. I'm getting a monitor by the end of the summer
so I'm hoping around early Fall I'll be looking at getting a mini.

I tend to switch back and forth between Logic and PT depending on what
job I'm doing and who it is for. As long as PT 8 works well on a brand new Mini
I should be golden.
Old 22nd May 2009
tekis
Avoid "Migration Assistant"

Just transfer things piecemeal. That's also the unofficial word from a "Genius" at a NYC Mac Store. It screwed me up with a PB to MB x-fer...I love my new Mini with PT8 and Lightbridge! It chase-locks my Radar 24 like a banshee! My mini is 2008 w/4 gig ram/7200 internal drive and 2gHz processor. Peace.
Old 22nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
I'm hoping around early Fall I'll be looking at getting a mini.
Well, if you're lucky they will have given it a speed bump by then. It still irks me that the fastest Mini not as fast as the bottom-of-the-range iMac, and that the reason for this is entirely marketing rather than capacity. If there was a like 2.75GHz/500GB HD option for the Mini I would have paid an extra few hundred bucks for it.

Anyway, I'm over it and busy making music now. I only buy a new Mac every 4-5 years, hopefully I'm good to go for a few more productive ones with this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
Just transfer things piecemeal.
Yup - done that. When I sat down and looked at it the process was fairly simple, once you know where to find certain files like your domain file for iWeb and Logic's user plug-in presets etc. Put my PB in FW target mode and had the whole thing done in a few hours.
Old 19th June 2009
urumita

how many tracks can this thing record simultaneously?
would a 120 GB drive be enough for system needs, apps etc...?
saw a mod where someone put a 10000rpm sata drive right in the case!
does anyone record to USB drives with any success?
or gigabit ethernet drives?
looks like it would smoke my dual 2GHz G5, cache at processor speed, frontside bus and fast memory
looking to move into a firewire solution from HD3 Accel, maybe Logic, so this is really interesting for me.
Thanks for posting!
would there be a way to get Bluray in there?
an ssd for the system and an MH or a TC Konnekt with an Audient ASP008/adat is what I'm thinking
20 channels record is my primary goal
It's a better option than an MBP because I already own all the peripherals, an iphone does what I need to do on the move, or a refurb MB 13
Your running a drive and the interface on the same bus no problems, wow
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rojo7 View Post
how many tracks can this thing record simultaneously?
I suspect loads but as I only have 10 inputs I can't answer that for you. I'm sure someone's done some tests somewhere on the web.

Quote:
does anyone record to USB drives with any success?
I'd stick to Firewire drives - especially for serious, high-track-count recording.

Quote:
would a 120 GB drive be enough for system needs, apps etc...?
A full install of Logic is like 47GB. I say get the largest internal HD possible.

Quote:
Your running a drive and the interface on the same bus no problems, wow
I ran two drives and two interfaces on the same FW400 bus of my old 12" G4 PB for years with no problems!
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

So James , how is the Mac Mini working out for you , now you`ve had some more time with it? Do you find yourself hitting the performance ceiling a lot or are you generally happy with the horsepower available?

Oh , is it noisy? fans or the drive starting up randomly etc.... (edit : I see now you have no problem with noise )

Thanks!

Thomas
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post
So James , how is the Mac Mini working out for you , now you`ve had some more time with it? Do you find yourself hitting the performance ceiling a lot or are you generally happy with the horsepower available?
Ditto, I'm interested as well, thx...
Old 21st October 2009
Gear Maniac

the mini got refreshed today with a nice speed bump! tempting.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
I'm hoping around early Fall I'll be looking at getting a mini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Well, if you're lucky they will have given it a speed bump by then.
Just looking at my rather prescient comment in view of the recent Mini upgrades this Fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post
I have had NO ISSUES at all with Logic 8 on my Mini - been rock solid and super-fast. I've never once run out of horsepower, but then I do not rely heavily on 537 instances of Sculpture for my musical needs like some of you seem to!

I have now migrated to Snow Leopard and will shortly be installing Logic 9... watch this space!
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
J
I have now migrated to Snow Leopard and will shortly be installing Logic 9... watch this space!
Great , keep us posted! I have Logic 9 and Snow Leopard waiting in their boxes , have to finish a project before I totally revamp my 2008 Mac Pro (I`m still on Tiger and Logic 7.2!)

Thomas
Old 11th November 2009

Buy an i7 iMac it will crush a Mac Mini (which really is made out of laptop parts)
Using a laptop for serious recording is like using a pedal bike to take your family on vacation.
Old 11th November 2009
Deleted 7f28ec2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Buy an i7 iMac it will crush a Mac Mini (which really is made out of laptop parts)
Using a laptop for serious recording is like using a pedal bike to take your family on vacation.
We don't all have unlimited budgets or a fixed space to record in

1) A new i7 iMac is awesome. That awesomeness also costs an extra $1600.

2) Saying you can't be "serious" about a recording using a laptop is pretty inconsiderate. The last gen of MacBook for example, which is what I use most of the time, is far more powerful than the sup'ed-up core i7-eqsue machines of the day that were out five years ago. Last time I checked, people were making "serious" albums with good results on a computer in 2004.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
well i just made the best album of my 20 year recording career on a non-serious computer then, my 2006 1.66 ghz duo core mini. i could afford to upgrade to a mac pro, but i'm leaning heavily towers a new mini. i'd rather invest more in hardware because that's what you have to show for over time. computers become obsolete rather quickly but i'm still using guitars, reverbs, and compressors that i've had for decades. plus, when this new mini becomes obsolete in 3 years, i'll just upgrade again to their next one, which is not quite as painful as dropping $2.5 to $3.5 on a mac pro each time.

so with the money saved by not getting a mac pro, i'll most likely be getting some a-1 mic pres and a chandler or bac 500 compressor to improve and diversify my front end chain, which i think is the most important factor in making nice recordings.

the 27" imacs are tempting though because when you upgrade later in the future, you may still be able use it for the monitor now that they have video inputs.
Old 13th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Minaker View Post
We don't all have unlimited budgets or a fixed space to record in

1) A new i7 iMac is awesome. That awesomeness also costs an extra $1600.
I Think your calculator is broke The imac has
a bigger monitor
better processor
bigger Hard drive
for $213.00 more

Mac Mini
Summary

$2,106.00
Ships: 1-3 business days
Free Shipping

Specifications
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel)
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard
User's Guide (English)
=======================================
Summary

$2,319.00
Ships: November
Free Shipping

Specifications
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
1TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
8x double-layer SuperDrive
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide
Old 13th November 2009
Deleted 7f28ec2
This is a joke right? "Oh, they're close to the same price..." yeah if you included the $900 apple monitor and other accessories. The mac mini is a fine computer for audio production. With the money you save, you can get some great studio equipment you can use to actually make music. No one is saying the iMac isn't impressive, it is. However, the barrier to entry for this uber-cool core i7 is much more expensive than a mac mini which will easily handle the processing tasks of 99% of DAW users.

Quote:
a bigger monitor
better processor
bigger Hard drive
for $213.00 more

Mac Mini
Summary

$2,106.00
Free Shipping

Specifications
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
500GB Serial ATA Drive
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard
User's Guide (English)
Summary

$2,319.00
Free Shipping

Specifications
1TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Apple Magic Mouse
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

A lot of users are not first time Mac buyers, they might be upgrading their systems too and may have displays already.
I think the Mac Mini is a good affordable option.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

I've got a 7200rpm 500gb seagate in my 1.83 C2D MM,
it does raise the volume to a level where I wouldn't record with a condenser mic in the same room but I need it for BFD 2

Quote:
a bigger monitor
better processor
bigger Hard drive
for $213.00 more

Mac Mini
Summary

$2,106.00
Free Shipping

Specifications
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
500GB Serial ATA Drive
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard
User's Guide (English)
Summary

$2,319.00
Free Shipping

Specifications
1TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Apple Magic Mouse

Are you restarted? if no, get back under your bridge pls
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't see why we have to argue about this!

We're all intelligent folk here - we are more than capable of weighing up the pros and cons of which Mac to buy.

For some of us the current Mini makes a lot of sense for many reasons, some of which I have explained here although its seems you haven't read those bits.

Why are you trying to talk down to us like we are idiots?

This thread isn't even a 'what Mac to buy' thread - it's for folks who have a Mini and want to post their experiences. How exactly are you contributing to that discussion?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

We're all intelligent folk here - we are more than capable of weighing up the pros and cons of which Mac to buy.

For some of us the current Mini makes a lot of sense for many reasons, some of which I have explained here although its seems you haven't read those bits.

Not worth your breath. Congrats on the mini doing the do! I take perverted joy out of this sort of thing. Kind of like skiing with not too great gear, but hitting those moguls hard......besides, Sounds Great said it best: never argue with an idiot, from the outside it becomes impossible to tell which one's the idiot after a bit.....lol
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

This thread isn't even a 'what Mac to buy' thread - it's for folks who have a Mini and want to post their experiences. How exactly are you contributing to that discussion?
Your'e right no need to argue, fact people are still making music with dual G5s.

Fact ALL of the Core2Duo machines have more processing power than the last dual G5s released.

I'm using an ancient by today's standard Core Duo machine, no problem with sessions of 32-48 tracks, cpu meters rarely exceed 35%.

I will eventually stick a core2duo inside, but it's not a pressing need.

📝 Reply